• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is my Zeiss 65mm SS normal? (1 Viewer)

statestat

I just received my Zeiss 65mm body and 23x eyepiece, and at first no WOW, maybe because it was raining and I was looking through my sliding glass door. Then the rain stopped and I went to the park and found the WOW. What an amazing view. If I may three questions though.

I did notice the often mentioned soft edges, and using a yardstick at 100 feet I can read down to a 1/8 inch over about 18 inches. Anyone know if this is normal? After about 1 hour I did not notice it anymore.

I can read the green numbers on a dollar bill up to about 150 feet, in direct sunlight. Is this ok?

Finally, using Henry's generous advice I star tested using a friends 2x7 33mm Leopold riflescope. I never star tested before. I started at 2x through 5x(which became really hard to see), I never really saw a star when going out of focus up or down, more like the sun, which seemed to be perfectly round w/o rings. Since I used a rifle scope I tested in all quadrents and the star/sun mostly remained in the same quadrent but just grew in size.

Also I did take a strong flashlight and looked into the scope throught the objective lens and sure enough it looks like a pubic hair is in there or possibly a fine metal shaving from the threads on the side of the body and when the focus is all the way in it is covered by the ring holding the movable inner lens. It does not bother me since the view outdoors is so wonderfull. Thanks to all on BF who share their knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back