• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (2 Viewers)

I say all singles, there was a nice moment when I picked up a Red-throated flying west when a Great Northern was also moving through. At one point they gave great scope views in fairly close proximity. Wall Brown down on the rocks too ... ;)

Last edited:
This morning, no seawatch as such, but there always seemed to be a GN Diver flying nicely above the horizon on a scan ...

Swanpool - Reed Warbler (2) and Swift (3) at Swanpool. Whimbrel (3) flew inland, 1 on shore. Sandwich Tern (2) offshore. First Swifts on the coastal patch - heard them, looked up, and there they were, copulating 50 yards or so up. Very unseemly!

Pendennis - GN Diver (5) flew west past Pendennis and 1 offshore. c.20 Kittiwake west. 3 Greenfich, 2 Linnet and 2 Rock Pipit around the point, but highlight was 7 Turnstone resting on the rocks (and later mobilising) - include some cracking summer plumage birds. A while since last saw Turnstone on patch, and certainly not on Pendennis for a long time.

Two Whitethroat singing at Swanpool Point (+ the one at Pendennis), and picked up the skinny dipper off the rocks below Stack Point >shudder< . Only noted 1 Fulmar sitting on the cliffs ...

Last edited:
A short excursion down to the coast with Matt in the late afternoon heading straight for Swanpool Point. 2 very distant divers in the bay (most probably GNDs), 8 Manxies west, 1 Fulmar (couldn't see any on the cliff ledges at the Hooked Cafe though unfortunately), c.20 auks west, 1 sum plum Guille in the bay and 3 Oyks.

Swanpool:

pair of Mute Swans now with 8 cygnets, 3 Swifts and a couple of Swallows.

Despite the lack of stuff I must admit I preferred it to sitting in the exam room.

A pretty exhausting patch round with strong sun being the real killer. Started at Swanvale shortly after 8am (overslept unfortunately):

nesting Great Tit carrying in food and removing fecal sac. Bullfinch and 1 Willow Warbler singing.

Swanpool:

3 Reed Warblers singing (all heard in short succession of each other, 1 in the northwestern corner, 1 in the middle section also on the western bank and the longest staying one remaining in the south western corner. I was lucky enough to get prolonged and decent views of the central one, rather surprising as they are usually extremely elusive here at Swanpool. A Sedge Warbler was also singing from the overgrown bank in the front garden of the house opposite the Hooked Cafe but was a little tricky to pick out thanks to all the traffic.

With recent concern over the number of Rock Pipits in the SW part of Cornwall, I was quite pleased to see two chasing each other just below the cafe.

I decided to take the road around to Maenporth in order to check the numerous fields on the way. Although it looked like good habitat the tall hedgerows and continuous stream of cars heading down to the beach made it nearly impossible to check most of the high-potential areas. Finally arrived at Maenporth:

1 Fulmar, nesting pair of Rock Pipits carrying in food and removing/dropping fecal sac in the sea. Little Egret, Whitethroats, 1 Stonechat pair, 2 House Martins, Swallows, 2 Kestrels and a couple of Ravens. Highlight was a pod of 8+ dolphins lingering offshore (tricky IDing but probably Commons based on small size, long beak and rather pointed dorsal fin, not blunt enough as I would have expected for Bottlenose). They were behaving rather relaxed and touring the area between Rosemullion and the larger tanker ships. It was a little frustrating to see the number of sailing boats who, on seeing them, irresponsibly ploughed straight towards them with little respect for their space.

Pennance Point:

singing Skylark, Blackcaps and Robin carrying food to nest site.

Swanvale:

Final bird of the day was a Whimbrel piping low over Swanvale just as I entered the NR.

Attachments

• DSC04430.jpg
    DSC04430.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC04431.jpg
    DSC04431.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC04432.jpg
    DSC04432.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Forgot to mention the butterflies: Quite a few Speckled Woods, Large Whites, Orange-tips, Red Admiral and blue sp. hanging around a holly bush (possible hint as to the species).

Out and about for a few hours locally this morning with Samuel - highlights -

Pendennis

5 Bottlenose Dolphins in the Carrick Roads between Pendennis and St Mawes.
2 Black-throated Diver fairly distantly offshore
1 Female Wheatear
4 Linnets (2 adults and 2 recently fledged begging young)

Maenporth

3 or 4 Bottlenose Dolphin rapidly arrived from Gylly Beach area heading west (prob different to above?)
2 Black-throated Diver (making 4 definite for the bay)
7+ Diver sp. in the bay

etc (some other commoner and some breeding species)

Just a rubbish record shot but then again it was only a digital compact camera. Not much to add to Dan's totals except a Rock Pipit on Pendennis and a Grey Seal from Maenporth.

Attachments

• May 2014 (9).jpg
    May 2014 (9).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 38
Mystery bird for Dan and Samuel!!
Was on Prince of Wales Pier this AM (0830) and heard a call I didn't recognise.

The offender was high up on a railing on top of a waterfront building next to M&S.

About Sparrow-size but it was against the sun.

The call was a thick ticking/chatting beginning slowly, speeding up, getting louder and regular then fading. It didn't seen to mind all the gulls around. Just kept calling. Quite loud.

Any ideas?? I might trawl thru the calls o the RSPB website.

Last edited:
You'll be lucky!

That has one of the best descriptions of song out there - it's been likened to someone cycling slowly over packets of crisps.

Btw Have u seen any Red Kites??...I always seem to miss them down here. They fly over my brothers house in Oxford. In fine weather do they drift down form Bristol/Wales/Ox??

Btw Have u seen any Red Kites??...I always seem to miss them down here. They fly over my brothers house in Oxford. In fine weather do they drift down form Bristol/Wales/Ox??

Was just about to post on this ...

Looks like a massive influx of Red Kites into the west of the county yesterday (eg 71 around St Just), with other species involved (Honey Buzzards and Black Kites). Good numbers over Falmouth yesterday too ... eg 8 over town!

I've heard people with the theory that they are birds from the introduced midlands population having a wander, but this surely can't be the case at this time of year and those associated species?!

Keep your eyes to the skies!

Was just about to post on this ...

Looks like a massive influx of Red Kites into the west of the county yesterday (eg 71 around St Just), with other species involved (Honey Buzzards and Black Kites). Good numbers over Falmouth yesterday too ... eg 8 over town!

I've heard people with the theory that they are birds from the introduced midlands population having a wander, but this surely can't be the case at this time of year and those associated species?!

Keep your eyes to the skies!

Will do!!

Are they continental then??

Are u boys out seawatching today??

Don't think I'll be able to get out until the 20th after my last exam as I've been spending far too much time outside recently rather than revising :eek!: Having said that, if something nice turns up on patch... ;)

Us patchers should probs meet up on the coast one day soon for a some birding o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back