• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

17 new binocular models for 2015 (1 Viewer)

It doesn't look like much has changed except for a couple of new compact 8/10x25 pocket binoculars with double hinges and narrow FOVs (which is a characteristic of Pentax binoculars).

There might be a couple of new Porros. The roof prisms seem to be unchanged along with the Papilos.

Bob

A week ago I tried the porro AP 8x30 WP. I had not the time to perform a careful test but I could notice that this model has a new eyepiece design with the eye lenses not as much recessed as the previous PCF WP series. The result was a clear view of the entire FOV with eyeglasses on.
My impression was that it's a binocular I could recommend to person who want decent binoculars for not too high price. But I would need to do a careful test and at first I would like to compare them to binoculars like Leupold Yosemite before I submit a final opinion.

I was excited when I seen the title line on the main page, as we have discussed before (and not too long ago) how Pentax COULD be a major player in the binocular/birding world, but their binocular / sport optics line had seemed to stagnate about a decade ago.

Let's HOPE that they HAVE done something else with eyepieces or coatings to make them stand out...but I'm not holding my breath.

In clicking on Ricoh's home page (linked above) you can see how Ricoh feels about Sport Optics...when clicking "Products" they are the last link, save "Accessories".

So birding bins ARE more important to them than camera straps...that's a start... 3:)

I think Ricoh-Pentax would have shown its commitment to the sport optics market a lot more by coming out with ONE new model that was alpha quality rather than 17 models that likely perform on a par with the numerous offerings of mid-tier manufacturers. Even Nikon has an edge…. (ouch!)

Pentax DCF 9x32 is a decent performer at a reasonable price, which I would recommend. The other more expensive models presumably have better optics but their narrow FoV
(it looks like 6* is nearly an upper bound for Pentax) has kept me away///Peter.

Same models just changed model names.
I received an announcement from Richo a wk or two ago.

Bryce...

For the most part, it does appears to be "marketing mumbo jumbo." What a disappointment! Pentax's top ED bin still has the same narrow FOV (6.3*) as an entry level Nikon Monarch. Ugh.

What appears to be new are the open bridge models, which I haven't seen before, particularly the Pentax 9x42 SD Water Proof Binoculars.

One thing about Pentax, they have more models in 9x than any other brand.

Now if they just started making bins with wider FsOV...

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back