• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CP4500 'Hunting' (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

I am the proud new owner of a CP4500 and have spent the morning messing around with it...

Results so far have been encouraging - much sharper and clearer than my old camera, but clearly more time and practice is required!!

Couple of observations.....

1. The supplied battery is absolutely useless!! I reckon comfortably less that an hour's continuous use and it's Goodnight Vienna. Anyone got any good tips for alternative power sources.

2. I'm trying to use the camera in pretty much fully manual mode, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right..... When I depress the shutter, the camera goes 'click/whirr' for anything between 1-3 secs before actually taking the pic. I am (I think anyway) operating in fully manual exposure mode and macro focus more - so what on Earth is it doing?? This is a bit irritating, as it just gives the subject enough time to stick it's head under it's wing or fly off into the next County!!

I expect that I am doing something wrong..... any ideas??

Check out the info from "Andy Brights Digiscoping Forum"
theres a piece on camera settings for the cp4500, I found it very usefull.
regards Bill...

Ruby,

I bought a spare battery for mine and, so far, I've never run out of power. However, I have been told that Maplins sell a power pack to run the CP4500 and it will last you all day. The best bit is it only costs around £30. Compared to others that I've seen on the web, this is about a third of the price of its competitors.

Thanks Andrew - that sounds like a great tip..... I'll certainly check it out..

BTW - Think I might have solved the 'hunting' problem...

If I operate the camera in fully manual exposure mode and macro focus, and then press the shutter halfway to lock the settings, it does its little 'hunt' then. All you need to do is then wait until your subject is posing nicely and then - snap - it takes the picture instantly.

This worked OK from the safety and comfort of my lounge - can't wait to try it out down at Elmley or somewhere in a gale!!

Ruby,I use manual focus setting nearly all the time when digiscoping. Just turn the manual setting up as high as it goes.Then you've only got your scope to focus,works well for me. Also replied to your battery post.

Ruby,I purchased the power pack from Maplins which is excellent,the downside however is,if you use Eagle Eye quick release cable system with braccket you cannot use the power pack.

John

I dont use the Eagle Eye cable release i use a Jessops cable release but do use the Maplin power pack,idont attach it via the tripod bush(as your suppose to) but velcro it to the tripod handle(the cable is just long enough) this way i find it balances the scope and camera better, leave it attached (except when its wet) all the time to the handle even when not digiscoping.Also use a powerex battery pack cost £60 but not as powerful so only use as back up.

Carry a couple of spare batteries Ruby,they do not take long to re charge.A bit pricey to buy,but once you have them,they are always on hand.
Christine

John. you can get the velcro straps at B&Q they are sold in pack of about 5 or 6 and are all different colours, £2-£3 a pack.

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

I am the proud new owner of a CP4500 and have spent the morning messing around with it...

Results so far have been encouraging - much sharper and clearer than my old camera, but clearly more time and practice is required!!

Couple of observations.....

1. The supplied battery is absolutely useless!! I reckon comfortably less that an hour's continuous use and it's Goodnight Vienna. Anyone got any good tips for alternative power sources.
Hi Ruby, for alternative power source ideas see my post in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=12252

Ruby said:
2. I'm trying to use the camera in pretty much fully manual mode, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right..... When I depress the shutter, the camera goes 'click/whirr' for anything between 1-3 secs before actually taking the pic. I am (I think anyway) operating in fully manual exposure mode and macro focus more - so what on Earth is it doing?? This is a bit irritating, as it just gives the subject enough time to stick it's head under it's wing or fly off into the next County!!

I expect that I am doing something wrong..... any ideas??
I was having the same problem; Andy Bright was most helpful in resolving it. To use Macro mode, the flower icon must be Yellow, or the camera goes nuts looking for a focus lock. Now, depending on scope zoom, I switch between Macro and Infinity to get a lock and the problem has disappeared.

Hope this helps,

GR

As regards batteries I bought a Hanna one off eBay which holds charge must better than the supplied Nikon one lasting around half as long again.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back