• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strap/monopod/wrist support suggestions for Arthritis/Other Issues? (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

I'm finally getting an actual Camera and Lens - Canon 7D w/100-400mm L - Never let an old guy get going on about his medical issues or he'll never shut up.
That said, I've a detached and damaged shoulder tendons, severe arthritis in the rotator cuffs and both hands. When I ache from all that labor I only think "I should have stayed in school." On the upside, I'm getting away from the Veterans Hospital this coming month and may actually get some decent repair work done.

I'm shopping for ideas here. I want to re-purpose a shoulder strap, tightening it up, bracing the camera, to take some of the stress off of the right shoulder for hand-held shooting; sort of like having third and fourth arms? Has anyone done something like that? Is there a system, or type of strap you recommend?

When I'm walking to an area, my camera will be in a bag. When I expect I may see a photo to take, I won't want the camera dangling by my side. If it's not in the bag I'd prefer TWO separate straps clipped to it; having it in front of me for security. Seriously, my stability walking and standing, (fear of falling) and my hands' ability to grip, are not that reliable. (Did I mention my hips and knees? Ears? Head Trauma? yep, I'm laughing.) The price of the camera is just too dear.

Also, I have seen a "wrist strap" on Ebay for holding the camera while shooting? Fortunately my right wrist isn't as far gone as my left but I credit that to Fish Oil and with daily use in the field, who knows if my right may get worse? Has anyone experienced using one of these?

I am also looking at Monopods. I am a tall guy with (you guessed it) a bad back. I'll need a tall-ish stick. Of course I'm on a budget and I think I prefer the rapid, click lever type, leg releases that Manfrotto has, as opposed to the screw types of Gitzo anyway. Financially, if I could avoid both of those brands, I'd be smiling. I'm presuming a Ball Head with quick release plate makes the best sense, but the heads I've seen have such TINY QRP's. I just don't see how they could handle a metal lens and body. Does anyone have any experience regarding that? I'm not looking for a monopod with legs or levered video head etc. If I want a tripod, I can certainly get one (just sold two).

OK... I think, if you've read this far, you deserve some kind of reward. I'm afraid Cyber-Cookies are rather bland and should be deleted anyway. Any and all suggestions are most welcome. I'll be puzzling with this for a while. It doesn't say "genius" anywhere on my resume'.

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Edited to add:

You know when one falls, they tend to trip and fall forward, eh? Having the camera locked at one's side may make some sense in that scenario. The B.R. RS-7 Would be one item of virtue, while not filling every need.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about all the challenges you face trying to get out and have some fun .

I found this site they are in the uk but they might have some ideas if you contact them , or you may find something local if you search the web .

http://www.the-dps.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back