• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gigrin Farm Action (1 Viewer)

paul goode

Visited Gigrin Farm last saturday and had a great day. One of the many spectacles which I enjoyed was a Red Kite swooping in to attempt to steal some food from under a Buzzards nose. I managed to record this action with my camera and have attached the pictures. What makes this interesting for me is that my camera theoretically takes pictures at 5 frames per second and so the 3 consecutive frames attached record what happened in less than one second. In that time the Kite has been and gone and the Buzzard looks as if it wonders what on earth hit it.

Regards

Paul

Attachments

• b8_filtered.jpg
    b8_filtered.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 159
  • b6_filtered.jpg
    b6_filtered.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 181
  • b7_filtered.jpg
    b7_filtered.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Stunning series of photos Paul. I remember you telling me you had been but not about these photos.

I somehow don't think the 4500 will be capable of emulating what you captured there. lol

Great stuff.

John

I have been to Gigrin twice this winter but the weather was a bit dull on both occasions and although this did not spoil the spectacle, it was too dark for my Coolpix to stop the action. As is rightly said, things happen fast. The 3 pictures above could be captioned as follows.

1. Buzzard thinks - Hmm, nice piece of meat just over there, thinks I might amble over and have me a feed.

2. Wack!!!!!!!!!!

3. Buzzard thinks - What the hell was that?? (or words to that effect) ;)

Brilliant photos Paul! I can never manage to get anything decent, those Kites are so fast! It must be quite a spectacle in the snow when the Kites' colours are highlighted, I was talking to someone who said it was just gorgeous and great for photos. Most of the time when I go it's too dark, would love to be there in snow. However, driving through the winding roads of Powys in the snow is a bit unnerving as we've done it many a time. (Not going to Gigrin though). Have done it today in fact, we have six inches of snow today and it's still coming down. Everything's closed, even the darn chippie!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back