• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wild geese holkham -wells (1 Viewer)

derekjake

went up to holkam fresh marshes monday 8th , great goose day well over 250 white fronts feeding with several hundred pinks , also a few brents in with them. moved up to wells over 300 brents resting on the sand bar in main channel . any body not been up to wells to see the geese should go for a dawn flight in december , it often lasts over 90 minuets and you can often see over 60,000 pinks coming of the roost , if this site does not stir you you must be dead.

I agree Derekjake, nothing like thousands of Pinks flighting in to their feeding grounds at dawn, or indeed the reverse, feed to roost in the late afternoon in North Norfolk, or anywhere else for that matter. Have seen this hundreds of times in my days as wildfowler and birder. Like the noise too!!

glad im not the only one wildgoose that has goose fever , i bet like me you have spent many a night under the moon out on the marsh , after geese and like my self you can treed both sides of the fence and get as much fun watching as when wildfowling, to be on a marsh under the moon with sound of the geese talking as they get ready to jump and then to see them against the cloud if you are lucky is a sight you can never forget, its a nother world out there.

Sorry for the lllkk. This is a error. Indeed derekjake, I have spent many nights under the moon and never tired of my "wild goose chases" in many areas i.e. North Norfolk, The Wash, Solway, Tay Valley. memories I will always cherish of wonderful sights and sounds of flighting geese be they Pinkfeet, Greylag, Whitefront, Barnacle, Brent. All the species have their own magic and appeal.

hi ( wildgoose ) sounds like you have had some great times , ive still to see barnacles in the wild ive been up to scotland but on the east side , went up to loch leven after pinks then on up to inverness after greylags coming of spey bay , but my real love is the salt marsh at wells , out by long water , flighting the wigeon , teal, as well as the geese , i have a pink , plus barnacles on a pond so i dont get withdrawel during the summer , i cannot get over how tame the pinks are at lady anne drive , yet if i try to film them on the beet tops they are as wary as can be , i take it you saw a wild winters day , saddly i missed half of it my son in law forgot to press record for me , hope fully speak to you again wildgoose wink, wink,

derekjake said:
any body not been up to wells to see the geese should go for a dawn flight in december , it often lasts over 90 minuets
Suddenly I have this image of daintily dancing geese! ;) But yes indeed: I was up there a few weeks ago and the sheer number of birds was a joy to behold. Skein after skein. Then, as they disappeared in to the distance there was the sound of a shotgun. Spoilt the moment a bit.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back