• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia trip (1 Viewer)

Kiki

We are planning a trip to Malaysia Feb/ March next year. We will be flying into KL and plan to hire a car and undertake a round trip. We are thinking of visiting Kuala Selango, Fraser's Hill, Taman Negara and probably Genting Highlands. We were also thinking of a couple of sites that would be easy to access from KL, such as Templer's Park.
Ideally we would like to book places before we go so, would appreciate any help/ advice that people can give such as hotels, particular sites etc. There will be three of us travelling and we don't want fancy places where we have to dress for dinner - just basic accomodation and decent food where we can relax after a busy day spent birding/ taking pictures. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

We are planning a trip to Malaysia Feb/ March next year. We will be flying into KL and plan to hire a car and undertake a round trip. We are thinking of visiting Kuala Selango, Fraser's Hill, Taman Negara and probably Genting Highlands. We were also thinking of a couple of sites that would be easy to access from KL, such as Templer's Park.
Ideally we would like to book places before we go so, would appreciate any help/ advice that people can give such as hotels, particular sites etc. There will be three of us travelling and we don't want fancy places where we have to dress for dinner - just basic accomodation and decent food where we can relax after a busy day spent birding/ taking pictures. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Kiki

You may want to read my dairy of Malaysia birding as part of our round the world birding trip we did in 2010 between the dates of 29th July and 27th August 2010.

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/suesdiary2010juldec.htm

We used the recently refurbished Puncak Inn at Frazer's Hill which was centrally located and cheaper than most and Teresek View Motel Kuala Tahan at Taman Negara which is very basic but near the river. The boats for crossing over to the reserve are very frequent and cheap. (or you could stay at the expensive resort hotel on the reserve side). Be warned that there is nowhere to get cash at Taman Negara (no ATM) so make sure you take enough cash before you get there.

Have a good trip

Sue

Thanks both.

Sue, is the resort hotel you refer to Mutiara? We've read that you have a 37mile boat trip to get into Taman Negara - is this hotel at the end of the boat ride? Thanks

Thanks both.

Sue, is the resort hotel you refer to Mutiara? We've read that you have a 37mile boat trip to get into Taman Negara - is this hotel at the end of the boat ride? Thanks

They are different. Sue's hotel is on the Kuala Tahan side of the river:
http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...tel-Kuala_Tahan_Jerantut_District_Pahang.html

The Mutiara is the expensive hotel on the NP side of the river:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ara-Kuala_Tahan_Jerantut_District_Pahang.html

As Goyter says you can now drive to Kuala Tahan, you don't have to take the boat.

Hi Kiki

What dates are you planning on being over there? I've just booked up for the 10th-30th March, will be going to Kuala Selangor, Frasers Hill and Taman Negara (with a few stops between bases I guess - probably hiring car). I've booked all accommodation over the internet direct which seems to have been fine (will see if I have beds when I arrive!). Good flights from Dial-a-flight as usual.

I've gone for B&B at De Palma Inn at Selangor as this will be first base after the long journey. I emailed the Nature Park there and they will have their rooms open but they wanted me to wait until Jan to book so I went elsewhere just as I wanted it booked now for peace of mind - if you can wait to book they seem like the cheap option - but rustic by the sound of it - and no food, plus you need to take some bits that I don't fancy taking in my limited baggage (towels etc). Would be a great base I think if it wasn't my first stop.

I've gone for Shahzan at Frasers, seems pretty reasonable cost for B&B and good location.

I've gone for the Mutiara Resort at Taman Negara, but I'm staying in the hostel (bunkhouse) - which is about £15 a night B&B. Friends stayed here the other year and said it was very good value. Seems perfect, bed, locker, mossi net etc

Hope this helps you/someone - may be see you over there!

Cheers, Andy

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy, Kiki's hubbie here:
at Selangor we're staying at De Palma also. At Fraser's, we're in Ye Olde Smokehouse (yes, I know, we're dudes) and finally at Taman Negara we're also in Mutiara but in a "cottagey thing" (the wife's description...)
We also have a couple of nights in KL at the end to do the usual touristy crap.
Really looking forward to but am struggling to motivate myself to learning the field guide at the mo'
12 and a bit weeks to go :)

We might see you at the airport as we leave on 10th March...

at Selangor we're staying at De Palma also. At Fraser's, we're in Ye Olde Smokehouse (yes, I know, we're dudes) and finally at Taman Negara we're also in Mutiara but in a "cottagey thing" (the wife's description...)
Really looking forward to but am struggling to motivate myself to learning the field guide at the mo'

You should have a wonderful trip when visiting the 3 sites you mention.

Just a tip: When visiting Kuala Selengor resrve during the day ask to book a spotlighting trip at night. You will pay about £5-£10 each and will meet a local guide at the entrance and look for Buffy Fish Owl, Barred Eagle Owl and others. Well worth it!
Dave

Hi Kiki

What dates are you planning on being over there? I've just booked up for the 10th-30th March, will be going to Kuala Selangor, Frasers Hill and Taman Negara (with a few stops between bases I guess - probably hiring car). I've booked all accommodation over the internet direct which seems to have been fine (will see if I have beds when I arrive!). Good flights from Dial-a-flight as usual.

I've gone for B&B at De Palma Inn at Selangor as this will be first base after the long journey. I emailed the Nature Park there and they will have their rooms open but they wanted me to wait until Jan to book so I went elsewhere just as I wanted it booked now for peace of mind - if you can wait to book they seem like the cheap option - but rustic by the sound of it - and no food, plus you need to take some bits that I don't fancy taking in my limited baggage (towels etc). Would be a great base I think if it wasn't my first stop.

I've gone for Shahzan at Frasers, seems pretty reasonable cost for B&B and good location.

I've gone for the Mutiara Resort at Taman Negara, but I'm staying in the hostel (bunkhouse) - which is about £15 a night B&B. Friends stayed here the other year and said it was very good value. Seems perfect, bed, locker, mossi net etc

Cheers, Andy

I stayed at all 3 of these hotels and are all very good, we didnt have problems with any of them, although the De palma had regular, early and LOUD prayers every day, but good if you want an early alarm call for a start to your birding day ;). Its great as you drive in to Selengor town and see 100s of Brahminy Kites circling over your hotel complex :t:

Last edited:

Hi Chris, hope you have a great trip, will look out for you at the airport!

There's certainly lots to look at in the field guides!! Something for the plane journey..

I stayed at all 3 of these hotels and are all very good, we didnt have problems with any of them, although the De palma had regular, early and LOUD prayers every day, but good if you want an early alarm call for a start to your birding day ;). Its great as you drive in to Selengor town and see 100s of Brahminy Kites circling over your hotel complex :t:

Thanks Bananafishbones, that will be ok with me, will need a good alarm call given the likely jetlag!

Thanks for the above tip about night-birding at Selangor too, will try that.

Cheers, Andy

You should have a wonderful trip when visiting the 3 sites you mention.

Just a tip: When visiting Kuala Selengor resrve during the day ask to book a spotlighting trip at night. You will pay about £5-£10 each and will meet a local guide at the entrance and look for Buffy Fish Owl, Barred Eagle Owl and others. Well worth it!
Dave

With a little luck, the Barred Eagle-Owl can be seen in the daytime roosting in the banyan trees around the HQ, especially where the path to the mangroves begins.

With a little luck, the Barred Eagle-Owl can be seen in the daytime roosting in the banyan trees around the HQ, especially where the path to the mangroves begins.

agreed, I saw one on the left hand side as we left the visitor centre and walked into the reserve, however it flew sharpish.... the night visit gave prolonged and close views of both species mentioned earlier :t:

agreed, I saw one on the left hand side as we left the visitor centre and walked into the reserve, however it flew sharpish.... the night visit gave prolonged and close views of both species mentioned earlier :t:

Have been reading through your blog trip report, lots of good birds/pics etc, very useful. Did you hire a car (& who through), also which road map did you use, or did you have sat nav etc?

Cheers, Andy

Have been reading through your blog trip report, lots of good birds/pics etc, very useful. Did you hire a car (& who through), also which road map did you use, or did you have sat nav etc?

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy
Regarding the map - I will have to get back to you on that one as it was my travelling partners and he is currently away.... Whichever it was it work well and we didnt get lost once!

Regarding car hire - We origianlly tried 2 companys, Avis and someone else but we had poor or no return communication so eventually gave up and booked with Auto Europe and got confirmation straight away with good comms througout, Unfortunately it was £417.... but peace of mind was key.

Glad you enjoyed the blog reports :t:

Andy - we booked Avis through Dial-a-flight, at the same time as booking our flights. We have bought a couple of maps from Amazon - a Globetrotter travel map and periplus travel map of peninsular Malaysia.
Thanks for the owl tips - we will certainly consider it when we are there

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back