• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysian Birding Stop-offs (1 Viewer)

schiffornis

AWBirder
Hi all.

I'm going to be birding in Malaysia for 3 weeks in March (if anyone over there would like to meet up for some birding?) 10th-30th. I will be doing the fairly typical route of KL to Kuala Selangor (3 days), then on to Frasers Hill (7 days) and then on to Taman Negara (11 days) and then back to KL. I will have a car.

I'm in the processes of reading through lots of trip reports etc. But what I'm really interested in is are there particularly good/worthwhile places between the above locations that would warrant a stop-off e.g. between KL and KS, between KS and FH, between FH and TN or between TN and KL.

Obviously having a hire car idle for my time at TN is going to be fairly costly but if I can connect with some good birds/habitat on the travel days it may make the costs more worthwhile/bearable... for example an area where there may be some species that I'm unlikely to have the potential for at the locations I will be based at, any inland waterbodies worthy of a check etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

[Also, if anyone has any really up-to-date gen for the above main sites, e.g. Pittas, Whistling-Thrushes, Rail-Babbler, Nightbirds etc that would be super!]

Kind regards,

Andy

The Botanical Garden of Berjaya Hills Resort which would be halfway between TN and KL (coordinates are 3.4183246N 101.8430572E) has had at least 1 obliging Siberian Blue Robin and a few Orange-Headed and Siberian Thrushes. March is a good time to get them as they would be busy feeding there to fatten up for the northward migration. Orange-Headed Trogons are also resident there and Banded Kingfishers are sighted there reasonably regularly too. Are you interested to get a bird guide?

TN via taxi

Hi all.

I'm going to be birding in Malaysia for 3 weeks in March (if anyone over there would like to meet up for some birding?) 10th-30th. I will be doing the fairly typical route of KL to Kuala Selangor (3 days), then on to Frasers Hill (7 days) and then on to Taman Negara (11 days) and then back to KL. I will have a car.

I'm in the processes of reading through lots of trip reports etc. But what I'm really interested in is are there particularly good/worthwhile places between the above locations that would warrant a stop-off e.g. between KL and KS, between KS and FH, between FH and TN or between TN and KL.

Obviously having a hire car idle for my time at TN is going to be fairly costly but if I can connect with some good birds/habitat on the travel days it may make the costs more worthwhile/bearable... for example an area where there may be some species that I'm unlikely to have the potential for at the locations I will be based at, any inland waterbodies worthy of a check etc...

[Also, if anyone has any really up-to-date gen for the above main sites, e.g. Pittas, Whistling-Thrushes, Rail-Babbler, Nightbirds etc that would be super!]

Kind regards,

Andy

Andy,

Have you thought about dropping off the hire car at the airport and then getting a taxi/boat to Taman Negara? would probably be cheaper than having the car idle for 11 days. Having done a similar route to the one you propose, albiet over a shorter period of time its what I would do in future.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Pittas and Rail Babbler

Hi all.

Kind regards,

Andy

Andy,

The whistling-thrush was calling at FH by the top gate on the old in September, but we failed to see it.

Banded Pitta - had stunning views of a male close to the Tahan Hide just outside the Mutiara resort, also had Gould's Frogmouth in the same location.

Rail Babbler - excellent views of one along the Tahan River trail a little way beyond the junction with the Jenut Muda trail. We also heard that there was one on the Swamp Loop trail, but didn't try for it

Garnet Pitta - heard several over the 5 days we were at TN.

Cheers,

Mark

The Botanical Garden of Berjaya Hills Resort which would be halfway between TN and KL (coordinates are 3.4183246N 101.8430572E) has had at least 1 obliging Siberian Blue Robin and a few Orange-Headed and Siberian Thrushes. March is a good time to get them as they would be busy feeding there to fatten up for the northward migration. Orange-Headed Trogons are also resident there and Banded Kingfishers are sighted there reasonably regularly too. Are you interested to get a bird guide?

Hi Hor Kee, thanks for the information, I will look into the site, certainly sounds interesting. I'd possibly be interested in getting a guide for some of the time, I'm all for maximising the potential for increasing the species list if you have any ideas.

Cheers, Andy

Andy,

The whistling-thrush was calling at FH by the top gate on the old in September, but we failed to see it.

Banded Pitta - had stunning views of a male close to the Tahan Hide just outside the Mutiara resort, also had Gould's Frogmouth in the same location.

Rail Babbler - excellent views of one along the Tahan River trail a little way beyond the junction with the Jenut Muda trail. We also heard that there was one on the Swamp Loop trail, but didn't try for it

Garnet Pitta - heard several over the 5 days we were at TN.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm still weighing up all the possibilities at the moment but potentially having a car for a week/10days then getting a taxi may well work.

Thanks for the info on the above too, much appreciated.

Cheers, Andy

By way of addendum, Bukit Rengit which is about halfway between Kuala Lumpur and Kuala Tahan gives decent to great lowland forest birds. Some species such as the lowland trogons may be even easier to find there. Wengchun knows the place.

Thanks Hor Kee, will check that site out, sounds interesting.

I've dropped Wengchun an email, so hopefully will hear back soon.

Cheers, Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back