• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Fraser's Hill Tricky Birds (1 Viewer)

cassowary

Nice birding here currently at Fraser's Hill
There are a few species that I am having a hard time with:
Cutia, Malayan Whistling-thrush and all the 'Game Birds' - Malaysian Peacock Pheasant and the partridges.

I was having a hard time with pygmy wren-babbler until today when I realized that it uses a 2 and not a 3 syllable song here - it is actually not uncommon here.

Anyway 2 1/2 days left before I leave

There is a confiding Malayan Whistling Thrush quite near the Paddock. From the Paddock, walk along the road leading back to the town centre. When you reach the first shelter, there is a small stream running down the hillside on the left. The thrush can be seen on occasion at the stream, even in the later part of the morning. If you have mealworms all the better. The Cuita used to be regular at the Telekoms Loop below the Telekoms Sri Peninjau Apartments an around the Green Acres Bungalow. Rising temperatures have however killed many of the oak trees there where the Cutias loved to be on. No Malaysian Peacock-Pheasants there but you might get Mountain Peacock-Pheasants along the trails, same goes for the partridges.

Hor Kee thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I will try for them tomorrow or the day after. BTW I meant Mountain Peacock-Pheasant - I fortunately saw a Malaysian Peacock-Pheasant at Taman Negara. Anyway I have had one unusual siting here - a great view of a maroon woodpecker on Bishops Trail (A lowland bird I know).

I did get bay woodpecker there a couple of days ago
Anyway I saw Malaysian whistling thrush this morning near to where you suggested! Big thanks! I found the first stream a bit dead so I tried 100 yards further up on another stream (between the 2nd and 3rd shelters). after imitating a feeding flock for 1/2 an hour it came in. My meal has just arrived at the Chinese restaurant.
Cheers!

Good for you! I camped for it in my hide earlier this month but two things conspired against me - treeshrews ate all my bait and a pesky domestic cat decided to join my stakeout.

Not so soon as Fraser's Hill is quite a distance for me. And definitely after the current dry spell. Expect me to be armed with something to keep those pirates away!

Not so soon as Fraser's Hill is quite a distance for me. And definitely after the current dry spell. Expect me to be armed with something to keep those pirates away!

When is your next trip up to Fraser's Hill? I may probably go up Penang next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back