• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gamboa (1 Viewer)

Dipper

Hi folks

I have booked a flight to Panama for 2 weeks birding with 2 US friends for Feb 2009. One of the highlights will be birding the Pipeline Road for several days. I have been searching the internet for affordable accomodation in and around Gamboa. So far nothing but the very expensive resort. Do any of you know of any other accomodation in the area? I wouldn't really want to commute from Panama City every day even though it is only a relatively short drive. Maximise those birding moments :)

By the way; entry to the Pipeline Road? How much $$ and when does it open in the a.m. or is it 24/7

Thank you

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
THere is a B&B in Gamboa, I think it costs around US$30/night. Heres a link http://www.kenallaire.com/links/reviews/ivansbnbpanama.html

hope you have an excellent trip, you'll love it there. Dont forget to check out the Gamboa ponds and Metropolitan Park. If you are going a little further abroad, i can highly recommend Achiote Rd., on the Carribean side of the canal. You can stay at the ranger station there for a ~US$10/night and get meals down the rd. at the restaurant in the village. I also recommend going to El Valle, about 2hrs from Panama city and in the mountains. Canopy Lodge is located here, though it is expensive to stay in or even visit. However, there is excellent birding in the area and it is your best bet for the incredibly hard to find Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo, amongst other great birds. The lodge also regularly updates a bird sightings page.
http://www.canopylodge.com/guides.php

Let me know if you want any other info, I'd be happy to share.

Avery

Thank you both.

I tried the Divine, but it is fully booked for February, must be popular. Presently waiting to hear from Ivan's B&B, sure does look good. I think we will also be going to El Valle and Boquete. Panama is all so new to me at the moment.

I only decided to go a couple of weeks ago after a suggestion from my US friend. It certainly looks fabulous and easier than Ecuador which is now very familiar to me after 6 visits but the airfares have rocketed!

Thanks

Adi

Thank you both.

I tried the Divine, but it is fully booked for February, must be popular. Presently waiting to hear from Ivan's B&B, sure does look good. I think we will also be going to El Valle and Boquete. Panama is all so new to me at the moment.

I only decided to go a couple of weeks ago after a suggestion from my US friend. It certainly looks fabulous and easier than Ecuador which is now very familiar to me after 6 visits but the airfares have rocketed!

Thanks

Adi

I don't know which route you are taking to Panama, but there is an option of using Air Caraibe from Paris, France, with touchdown on the French Caribbean islands, but the same plane continuing to Panama and Costa Rica.

Cheers
Niels

I did find a reasonable fare and route from Birmingham via Newark to Panama but when I came to book it the price had gone up about £200 so I tried elsewhere. Eventually I found a fare from Heathrow again via Newark and on to Panama with Continental. Price £520 including credit card/booking fees which I thought was fine compared to many of the routes which were over £700 and/or took forever. I checked the same dates with KLM to Quito, the price had gone up to over £900 which is about £300 more than when I first went.

Regards

Adrian

The Field Guide (Ridgely) arrived today, it will fit very nicely in my vest back pocket and I'm sure it will get some serious use and abuse.

Ivan's

Hi Adrian,
Ivan's B&B is the best place to stay while in Ambua .. You can have a read about it in my report: http://www.geocities.com/pnptrip/

In a nutshell the standard at Ivan's is super-excellent, the rates are very affordable and it's far more personal than the "sheep tourism" the big resorts have to offer ;)

Ivan is usually prompt with his email replies, so try to email him again and he'll respond :t:

Ivan´s Bed & Breakfast Attn Adrian

Hello Adrian

be guided that we have recieved your lodging request and we have your space reserved according to your dates
we have been having problem in replying to your emailing address, every time we have tryied our message bounces back to us
You must reset your address settings to recieve mail from us otherwise it will never work

pls ensure mail addresses from
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

are accepted by your system

Cheers from Gamboa and we remain awaiting for your acknowledment

We where also awared by Muhamed Mahdi that you where trying to reach us
I have informed him accordingly

Ivan

Hi Adrian,
I highly recommend getting the Birdfinding guide to Panama before you go, if you haven't already. Also, may I recommend going to Cerro Punta on the other side of Volcan Baru from Boquete. You can stay at the excellent Los Quetzales Lodge. Their prices vary widely but include inexpensive dorms(the nicest I've stayed in in Central America). There are excellent birding trails within walking distance(wrenthrush and Tapaculo!) and White-cr. Coquette is sometimes seen in the gardens. There are some good sounding spots in the area as well that can be accessed with a car(such as La Amistad NP, some ponds that can have interesting stuff on them, and lower elevation roadside birding that can yield some pacific slope specialities, it's all in the birdfinding guide). I think you'll have a better chance at more variety this side of the mountian.
Good birding,
Avery

Thanks Avery

We do have plans to go to Boquete. My travel companions have a copy of the Birdfinding Guide, I haven't got around to it yet. Could be a last minute job, reading on the plane on the way over the Atlantic :)

Adrian

Hi

Just back from Panama, tired from travelling but an excellent trip. Ivan's B&B was excellent!! More info after I finish unpacking.

Adi

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back