• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blacktoft Sands (1 Viewer)

edrick owl

edrick owl - a real twit
Hi all

Yesterday - 11/02/04 - I took the plunge and went on my first ever visit to any reserve, even though I have been a member of the RSPB for several years. What a great day I had, finding the site wonderful, neat, tidy and clean. All credit to the staff.

Despite some nervous anticipation of being a lone visitor, the people I met were all very friendly indeed everyone said "good morning" and stopping to chat if you wanted them to, some even taking time to point out various birds that I had no clue what they were after obviously shuffling through the ID books I had taken along. One chap from Harrogate was very helpful and patient. A big thanks to him if he's reading this.

As for my "list", I recorded 20 species with 7 new to me (alright, they were mainly water based and probably common stuff to many) but I still found it very enjoyable, though most people there classed it a "Bad Day". I have never stood about 5 feet away from a Bluetit that took no interest in me whatsoever whilst it filled its face on a peanut feeder before!

I really enjoyed it and will definately go again, even though it shuts at the end of March (for obvious reasons) which means it will have to be sooner rather than later. Well done to the RSPB, and to those who helped make my first venture a memorable one.

edrick owl

edrick owl said:
Hi all

Yesterday - 11/02/04 - I took the plunge and went on my first ever visit to any reserve, even though I have been a member of the RSPB for several years. What a great day I had, finding the site wonderful, neat, tidy and clean. All credit to the staff.

Despite some nervous anticipation of being a lone visitor, the people I met were all very friendly indeed everyone said "good morning" and stopping to chat if you wanted them to, some even taking time to point out various birds that I had no clue what they were after obviously shuffling through the ID books I had taken along. One chap from Harrogate was very helpful and patient. A big thanks to him if he's reading this.

As for my "list", I recorded 20 species with 7 new to me (alright, they were mainly water based and probably common stuff to many) but I still found it very enjoyable, though most people there classed it a "Bad Day". I have never stood about 5 feet away from a Bluetit that took no interest in me whatsoever whilst it filled its face on a peanut feeder before!

I really enjoyed it and will definately go again, even though it shuts at the end of March (for obvious reasons) which means it will have to be sooner rather than later. Well done to the RSPB, and to those who helped make my first venture a memorable one.

edrick owl

Blacktoft Sands is one of my favourite reserves. I used to go there quite often when I lived in York about 13 years ago. Indeed, I had one of my best ever days there one summer as many waders were passing through. The great thing was that many still had summer plumage which you don't get to see that often.

I recall little stint, curlew sandpiper, avocet, spotted redshank along with turtle dove, bearded tit and plenty of the more common species. The reeds are full of reed warblers in the summer.

Marsh harrier is regular there and I've also seen spoonbill and a flamingo which was no doubt an escapee.

All in all it is well worth going to every few months, though it will be worth asking the warden for the best times for a wide range of species.

Good stuff edrick

Personally it's the peace & quiet of a place, friendly people and somewhere nice, unspoilt & clean which makes makes it a 'good' or 'bad' day, much less to do with whether the birds are common or not.

So .... why does it shut at the end of March ?

Erm... what do you mean it shut's at the end of March? :eek!:

Methinks I will have to investigate!

I'm sure it said on one of the big boards that confront you as you appraoch the reception open September (?) to 31 March. As a complete novice just I presumed it would be closing for the breeding season.

I am prone to mistakes, but I am pretty sure. I will have to go over again to make sure, and post an update on what I found. I can appreciate that a lot of people travle a long way for their birds, and would hate to cause anyone any undue hassle.

Regards,

edrick owl

Very strange! We'll have to see whether birdman gets some response to his email.

I've certainly been outside those months, I'm sure.

Hi Carlos

Let me try and clarify what I said by relating that other people classed it as a "bad day".

It was the repeated comments of the "regulars(?)" that there appeared to be not that much about compared to the usual variety of species and numbers of those species that usually abound at Blacktoft. In that respect, I had come on a "bad day".

I of course have no idea of numbers etc. except that there appeared to be a good 1200 Lapwings around.

Good or bad is of course a personal choice, but I enjoyed it anyway, and as I said, I will deffinately go back.

As you say, Edrick, it's all down to each individual how they interpret whether the day is good or bad. I would have enjoyed watching the Blue Tit as well, as they don't normally hang around too long when there are people nearby.

I enjoyed walking down to the station the other morning on the way to work through our local park - first sighting was 20-30 Redwings, then a tree which very occasionally holds a Nuthatch had a Treecreeper moving steadily up the trunk, then we saw three Mistle Thrushes having a bit of a barny. Really cheered me up for the day.

Yes Blacktoft is without doubt a good reserve to visit, at the right time of year, and not when the water is non-existent. The main reason I go is to see the Marsh Harrier, not sure if any have overwintered. Blacktoft still holds for me the most species seen in one day, and that was 44.
You said everyone spoke to you, depends whether you spoke first. A large percentage do speak and are willing to help. I speak to everyone and help whenever possible.
Best of luck with your future birding.

Intellectual.

Hi and welcome to Bird Forum on behalf of the Moderators and Admin.
Hope to hear more from you on the site,although slightly concerned that your Username over-qualifies you somewhat. ;)

Might I suggest that the sign you saw Sept. to March was probably the Winter opening times? There was probably another sign with the Summer opening times (March to Sept.) In winter it gets dark very early so most reserves close around 4-30.

i all so had my first visit to blacktofts on the 11th saw three firsts for me , hen harrier male and female,bittern and a barn owl, sorry thats four. what a brill day and yes lots of nice poeple and lots of eyes helped dont go for lists but will not forget the firsts. nice place wil go out of my way to visit again only 2 hours from home ..kevin

Hi Ed, im glad you enjoyed your visit to Blacktoft Sands, only been once before many moons ago as a newbie and im sure i missed many of the locals because of my inexperience.

Its important to this forum that all members relate their experiences if only to remind some of our later models how thrilling birds we might take for granted can be, (this applies to Digiscoping too in case our more experienced hands forget).

So the Bittern has appeared as it. Knew the staff were working hard to encourage it. The JCB was there last year digging out a new area in the hope it would attract them.
For those who don't know they run workshops during the year,each one usually lasts two hours and for just a small cost they are good value. Went on three last year. The first was in May, it was an evening stroll with the warden, the staff encouraged questions from those there. Twenty-nine species were seen including Spotted Redshank and Marsh Harriers. The next one was to watch the beardy, this was in July, early morning. Thirty species were seen including the Bearded Tit, there were lots about flitting in and out of the reeds. Although I only saw the juveniles, it was not to be missed. Other species seen included Grasshopper Warbler and Spoonbill. Lastly was the wader workshop held in August. Also in a morning. Twenty-four species were seen. It wasn't the best of days, but we have to take the rough with the smooth. Among those seen were Ruff, Dunlin and not forgetting my favourite bird of Blacktoft, the Marsh Harrier.
Try one of the workshops, I'm sure you will enjoy it

Intellectual.

Forgot to mention if anyone doesn't know and I'm sure most of you will. To contact Blacktoft Sands, e-mail address is
[email protected]
Sometimes takes a few days to get a reply.

Blacktoft Sands leaflet last year says, open every day except Christmas day, from 9 am to 9 pm [or sunset if earlier]. Hope this helps.

Intellectual

This morning I had a ride over again, and made surre I looked at the board as you approach the reception hide. At the top of the central panel it said;

Opening Times
1 October to 31 March
Reserve Opening Hours
Gates open 9am to dusk
Reception Hide open 9am to 4pm (weekends only).

Now this could, as some have hinted, be that it is either summer or winter opening etc. but it does not say which. I just presumed that this was as it appeared to read, and that the reserve closed sometime during summer for a bit of protection and peace and quiet during breeding.

As I have already said, I am complete novice at this reserve visiting, so knew nothing different. If it has confused anyone, then I apologise, but I also think that the sign should make things a bit clearer - especially for us more easily confused people!!!

Anyway, today was very enjoyable too. As well as the species I saw last week, I also saw my first Reed Bunting, and was really chuffed when I found a Curlew hidden in some grass on the far side which two more experienced birders had not spotted.

I think in future I will stick to the events listed in the leaflet I picked up - then I know I can't go wrong!

Sorry once again if it's confused anyone,

Regards,

edrick owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back