• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel from Fraser's Hill to Taman Negara (1 Viewer)

RobertaG

I am going to Borneo in February but plan to stop off in peninsular Malaysia on my way back to the UK. I will be spending some time at Fraser's Hill and then plan to go to Taman Negara for my final few days (and I already know that a few days won't be enough, but it's all I will have and it's better than nothing!)

My problem is getting from FH to TN (where I intend to stay at Mutiara). I don't want to drive and will be making this part of the journey alone. I have a quote from the resort for a direct transfer that is very pricey (basically they can only send a 10 seater van, a bit excessive for just me!).

I really don't want to waste a day going back to Kuala Lumpur first so wondered if anyone has any experience of making this journey by taxi and if so what did it cost? I'm not sure where I am staying at FH yet, as I will be with others from my Borneo group at that point, but would most hotels be able to arrange this for me? Would it be cheaper?

I am also trying to find a guide for my three days at TN, again a quote I have already is almost as much as most of my Borneo trip will cost (the problem of 1-2-1 I suppose) - so any alternatives for the area would be appreciated.

Any information or advice greatly appreciated.

Roberta

I am going to Borneo in February but plan to stop off in peninsular Malaysia on my way back to the UK. I will be spending some time at Fraser's Hill and then plan to go to Taman Negara for my final few days (and I already know that a few days won't be enough, but it's all I will have and it's better than nothing!)

My problem is getting from FH to TN (where I intend to stay at Mutiara). I don't want to drive and will be making this part of the journey alone. I have a quote from the resort for a direct transfer that is very pricey (basically they can only send a 10 seater van, a bit excessive for just me!).

I really don't want to waste a day going back to Kuala Lumpur first so wondered if anyone has any experience of making this journey by taxi and if so what did it cost? I'm not sure where I am staying at FH yet, as I will be with others from my Borneo group at that point, but would most hotels be able to arrange this for me? Would it be cheaper?

I am also trying to find a guide for my three days at TN, again a quote I have already is almost as much as most of my Borneo trip will cost (the problem of 1-2-1 I suppose) - so any alternatives for the area would be appreciated.

Roberta

As an alternative, How about a few days at Kuala Selengor?? its on the way back towards KL a little more accessible from FH logistically and would imagine it to be a little cheaper fare wise.

Ask for Shanka at the visitor centre for an amazing night guide around the reserve....

Dave

Roberta

Hi Roberta, I did this same trip in March this year. I stayed at Shahzan Inn at FH then Mutiara. I got a taxi between the 2 places, this was arranged by the guys in reception at FH. This involved 1 taxi from FH to a nearby town (I think this was Raub), then a taxi from there to Kuala Tahan where I got the boat across to Mutiara. I think it cost in the region of 200RM for the journey 1 way. Whole journey took about 3/3.5hrs.

I was then planning on getting the Mutiara resorts transfer back to KL but as it transpired I got a lift with some other birders which worked really well (they'd hired a car and left it parked in a car park).

My trip report which may contain some helpful information:

http://awbirder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/malaysia-trip-report.html

I also met up with Weng Chun (per Hor Kee's post) and would recommend you maybe consult with him.

Feel free to drop me an email if you need anything else.

Cheers, Andy

Travel from Fraser's Hill to taman Negara

bananafishbones said:
As an alternative, How about a few days at Kuala Selengor?? its on the way back towards KL a little more accessible from FH logistically and would imagine it to be a little cheaper fare wise.

Ask for Shanka at the visitor centre for an amazing night guide around the reserve....

Dave
Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I did think about Kuala Selengor but I am really keen to go to Taman Negara!

birdboybowley said:
I'm sure if you talk to Mr Durai at FH he'll be able to sort out a taxi or something....

schiffornis said:
Hi Roberta, I did this same trip in March this year. I stayed at Shahzan Inn at FH then Mutiara. I got a taxi between the 2 places, this was arranged by the guys in reception at FH. This involved 1 taxi from FH to a nearby town (I think this was Raub), then a taxi from there to Kuala Tahan where I got the boat across to Mutiara. I think it cost in the region of 200RM for the journey 1 way. Whole journey took about 3/3.5hrs.

I was then planning on getting the Mutiara resorts transfer back to KL but as it transpired I got a lift with some other birders which worked really well (they'd hired a car and left it parked in a car park).

My trip report which may contain some helpful information:

Thanks guys, the taxi option sounds more realistic.

Andy how easy was the changing taxi bit - were they both arranged for you? Had you pre-booked the boat transfer Kuala Tahan? I really would prefer to arrive at TN by boat! I have downloaded your trip report, need to go back and study the logistics and not just the birds! May send a PM to ask more questions closer to the time.

Hor Kee said:
Roberta, for a guide try contacting BF member Wengchun at http://www.nature2pixel.com/. Transport can be arranged by this guiding company.

Thanks Hor Kee. I have sent a PM to Weng Chun.

Thanks for the input people

Roberta

Andy how easy was the changing taxi bit - were they both arranged for you? Had you pre-booked the boat transfer Kuala Tahan? I really would prefer to arrive at TN by boat! I have downloaded your trip report, need to go back and study the logistics and not just the birds! May send a PM to ask more questions closer to the time.
Thanks for the input people
Roberta

Hi Roberta, Shahzan reception staff organised the taxi, no real hassle to be honest. I got dropped off at the Kuala Tahan river-crossing it's just a short (30 second) transfer costs 1RM or so. I think if you wanted to get the proper cruise up the river to the resort you'd perhaps need to liaise with Mutiara. I'm not sure whether you'd need to book etc, or if there are other boatman operating, or how much they would cost. That was my main reasoning of doing that journey on the way back, so I could organise it whilst being there.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM if you need anything.

Cheers, Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back