• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best month to visit Borneo (2 Viewers)

jurek

Hi,

As in the title. Which month is best to visit Borneo for birds and mammals? Tours offer times from March till October, and I am not sure what is the preference.

I am also vaguely looking for companions for a 2-3 week self-organized trip in 2014.

best,

Jurek

Jurek, well worth avoiding the wettest period as you can lose days at Kinabalu then if you're unlucky - can't remember exactly when this is, sorry. There was a thread on this Q on the OBC forum some time ago - check that out if you can. I researched it some years ago and ended up going in May (very successful) but I suspect anytime out of the wettest few months can be good.

The following was easy to find on the web:

" Borneo is one of Southeast Asia’s few summer destinations as the best time to travel is between March and October.

The wet season is traditionally from November to February, but the climate in this part of Asia can be very unpredictable so it is best to accept the possibility of rain at any time. "

Cheers,
Andy.

Thank you for reply, but I cannot seem to find a 'forum' of OBC at all. Can you direct me more precisely? Of course, likely any month in dry season is about equally good, but I would like to be sure. :)

Any time between March and November is good. June and July can be very dry which makes for uninterrupted birding but some birds, especially ground-dwellers can be quiet then. If I had to pick a favourite month it would be April.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back