• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tioman or Langkawi? (1 Viewer)

ABCY 1

Hi birdforum members. A request for information: I'm taking a family holiday in West Malaysia in late June. With four kids aged 5 to 14 we have to factor in some beach/snorkeling time; in past years my partner and I have done some weeks birding on the peninsula (Taman Negara, Fraser's/Gap, Kuala Selangor, Bukit Larut) and are keen to build on our list. Based on the need to entertain kids we are considering Langkawi or Tioman Islands. Any thoughts on their relative merits at this time of year (mainly for birds/mammals, but also for accomodation and kid-friendliness)?

Any advice, or alternative ideas, much appreciated. Cheers, Peter

I ended up on Langkawi for 3 days in August 2005 and spent a bit of time with local guide Irshad Mobarak. The best things we saw were as follows though I didn't work as hard as I could have (Ruddy Kingfisher and Mountain Hawk-eagle are also there, for example):

Eastern Reef-egret
Lesser Whistling-Duck
Brahminy Kite
Changeable Hawk-eagle
Large Green Pigeon
Greater Coucal
Brown Hawk-owl
Brown-backed Needletail
Banded Kingfisher
White-breasted Kingfisher
Great Hornbill
Oriental Pied Hornbill
Great Slaty Woodpecker
Laced woodpecker
Blue-winged Pitta
Striated Swallow
Greater Racket-tailed Drongo
Asian Fairy Bluebird
Black-naped Oriole
Great Iora
Striped Tit-babbler
Blue Whistling-thrush
Fan-tailed Warbler
Dark-necked Tailorbird
Paddyfield Pipit
Hill Myna
Crimson Sunbird
Ruby-cheeked Sunbird
Orange-bellied Flowerpecker
Plain-backed Sparrow
Baya Weaver
Streaked Weaver
Chestnut Munia
Scaly-breasted Munia
White-rumped Munia

The pittas were breeding, easy to see and good fun.

And Irshad is easy to find on the web. Sorry I can't help re Tioman.
Cheers,
Andy.

Last edited:
Langkawi has more bird guides, Irshad being foremost in standing. Also has a few island specialties for Peninsula Malaysia like the Mountain Hawk-Eagle, Black-Hooded Oriole and Brown-Winged Kingfisher. Langkawi is far more turisty compared to Tioman and has facilities and attractions aplenty such as the cable car, an aquarium and a few waterfalls. Tioman is smaller and has less birdlife but as I've read, has more pristine beaches and snorkeling sites. There are no roads there though, quite unlike Langkawi. I have not been to Tioman though, so I can't comment any more.

Thanks both, very helpful. It sounds as if I should be leaning towards Langkawi. Though I like the idea of an island with no roads, the kids might not! I've seen digdeep's blog on November vagrants to Tioman, but it could be pretty quiet in June. Langkawi BW Pitta would be nice; why no Mangrove Pitta I wonder? Anyway, much appreciated. Peter

Checking my notes, I heard BW Pitta from several locations in the north of the island, both primary and secondary forest; then I watched a family group for a long time in the grounds of the Andaman Hotel.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back