• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probably dumb question but is this a house sparrow? Slimbridge UK (1 Viewer)

andrewslack

I took this photo because I couldn't see what the bird was at it was too far away. It looked about large sparrow/small bullfinch in size. Even correcting for exposure, it seems unusually light coloured on the front and the pattern of black and white on the face doesn't seem to match anything I'm familiar with. In desperation I first thought it could be a great tit, but there's no hint of yellow even if you ramp the saturation up to maximum. Someone sitting next to me thought it was a reed bunting, but I've seen zillions of reed buntings (albeit never from that angle) and it doesn't look right to me. House sparrow was my best guess but the head shape seem off, and you can see in some of the photos that as well as the white sides of its head, it also has a white patch at the base of the beak (looks like, to me), as well as the black stripe down the front.

I'm probably being really stupid but I don't know what it is.

these are all my photos, the 'best' first, then I will post the others in a second post in case they add info.

thank you in advance all!

Attachments

• DSC_2554.JPG
    DSC_2554.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 136
more pics

here are more pics

Attachments

• DSC_2550.JPG
    DSC_2550.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_2551.JPG
    DSC_2551.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_2552.JPG
    DSC_2552.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_2553.JPG
    DSC_2553.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_2555.JPG
    DSC_2555.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 50
They vary such a lot, but the white area on the side of the head looked large to me. I can certainly believe it. As you say, expert opinions welcome!

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back