• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want Start Out W/Decent Binoculars (3 Viewers)

looksharp65;2164825 You should know Pentax bins said:
the Fury is clockwise[/B] like the big three + Meopta.

//L

As a side note, the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21's focus clockwise to infinity. Don't know about the rest of the Pentaxes but thought I'd mention it.

Best regards,

Ronald

Pentax makes 2 9x standard size binoculars (actually 3 if you count the 9 x 28 LV), a 9 x 32 and 9 x 42 DCF BR. They sell for around $300.00. I've never seen a review on them but you can look at their specs below. The 9 x 32 has a rather wide FOV of over 350' and weighs only 17oz or so. The 42 is heavier and has a rather narrow FOV.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-br-9x42-binocular

Vortex makes a 9 x 36 Diamondback with a nice wide FOV. $200.00. Very well built and worth it's price and maybe then some. I used one as my car binocular for a year and liked it. And you can probably find it at a cheaper price. I gave it to my son who wanted a reliable binocular. It stays in his car too. Sharp enough with a generous sweet spot. Softens at the edges but it has alot of pincushioning at the edges so you can refocus for the edges if you don't want to move the binocular while you are looking at something else.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback9x36

Bob

In Outdoor Lifes test of the new 9x42 Pentax DCF BR, they did not give it the best review:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...t-new-binoculars-2011?photo=9#node-1001345786

But the 9x32 Pentax DCF BC scored much better and was an Editors choice and best buy
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...-new-binoculars-2011?photo=13#node-1001345786

Tom

Last edited:
You should know Pentax bins, most Zen-Rays, all Vortexs except Fury and most cheaper bins focus anti-clockwise from close to infinity, but the Fury is clockwise like the big three + Meopta.

The 7x36 ZEN ED2 I have focuses clockwise from close to infinity.

The 7x36 ZEN ED2 I have focuses clockwise from close to infinity.

Sorry, I didn't make myself enough clear. I wrote that the Zen ED2 focuses "the right way" but now I see that the context was a bit dizzy.
The Zen ED and ED2 are the only bins from ZenRay that focus clockwise to infinity, AFAIK.

//L

Sorry, I didn't make myself enough clear. I wrote that the Zen ED2 focuses "the right way" but now I see that the context was a bit dizzy.
The Zen ED and ED2 are the only bins from ZenRay that focus clockwise to infinity, AFAIK.

//L
Just so I understand "clockwise to infinity" means while looking through you roll the focus knob left to right (pulling action) with index finger on right hand (being right handed) in order to focus on distant objects and the other direction (pushing action) for closer target focus. If this is correct then it makes a heck of a lot more sense than the other way around.

That's correct, Red Horn.
And when I bought the Fury I felt like coming home. Really a shame that so many great bins go the other way.
Using bins with opposite focusing directions is a nightmare for me. My present and future collection of binoculars will contain only clockwise focusers.

I agree with you 'looksharp65': the "only true way" is clockwise to infinity (and beyond), and regard those who go t'otherwise as contrary (perverse and foolish). But I must take issue with you that Pentax bins go anti-clockwise (post #60). My Pentax 8x36 DCF HS and Papilio focus clockwise to infinity, for which I am truly grateful, while my Zeiss 6x18 T*P compact contrarily goes the 'wrong' way, as will my new Vortex Viper when I get it. It is a shame so many otherwise likeable bins are thereby fundamentally flawed: it's like an American buying a classic British MG sports car, only to find it's right-hand drive, thus having to change gear with his left hand (which we are used to in the UK) while driving with reduced visibility of oncoming traffic, making overtaking... somewhat inconvenient!
Focus going the 'wrong way' may not bother some folk; for me it is no 'nightmare', just something "up with which I'd rather not put". I admire your resolve to banish from your collection all non-conforming bins: logical, courageous even. I'm not sure I'm that brave.

I admire your resolve to banish from your collection all non-conforming bins: logical, courageous even. I'm not sure I'm that brave.
Since I'm new to the venture it will be easy to simply choose ones that rotate the correct way :t:.

*** Side note ***

I went out this morning with naked eyes and pocket camera and captured:

Common Ravens

American Crows

O-> and O-+ Yellow-Headed Blackbirds

O-> and O-+ Mallards and an all white duck w/orange feet (unidentified)

Canada Geese and chick

Gadwall (no visible blue speculum like on O-+ Mallard)

American Coot

Dark brown and white Ducks w/green beaks. One was mostly white with light tan shading (unidentified)

Mute Swan (adolescent w/brown coloring and pronounced knobbed bill)

Lastly, what I think is immature O-> Yellow-Headed Blackbird with cinnamon head and neck, white leading wing edges, white intermixed belly, and dark (black) wing tops and tail (unidentified)

Since I'm new to the venture it will be easy to simply choose ones that rotate the correct way :t:.

This may not endear me to some, but to refuse to use a binocular because of focus direction is kind of silly. You have to run the focus wheel both ways anyway. I have binoculars that focus both ways. It makes absolutely NO difference to me which way it goes to infinity. To discard a binocular from consideration because of this is something I don't get. Other than the fact that I do "get" that people like/dislike different things, but there are things you don't need to do to yourself in the process. Before you develop into a grumpy old man, get binoculars for what they are and use them. Do not self inflict a focus direction affliction upon yourself. If you obsess on focus direction that is what it will become.

Personal preference. I like to learn to utilize tools that feel comfortable and intuitive to me. As an example I love to fish. Have bought twenty to thirty reels over the years. Learned with spinning reels that almost always allow handle to be reversed so either hand can be used to retrieve. Prefer to hold rod with strong hand (King Salmon made me this way) and reel with left. Five years ago I got bit by the Bait-Caster reel bug. Most are not available with left hand retrieve. Sales people "all the better reels are right retrieve, you will quickly get used to it". Well I took a financial beating selling those reels after I just did not like to retrieve with my right hand. In the end I found a few quality left handers and am totally happy with them.

Binoculars are not as operatively technically challenging. I will not totally dismiss bins that are CCW. Was not fully clear in that I will try to find ones that focus CW and fit my needs.

This may not endear me to some, but to refuse to use a binocular because of focus direction is kind of silly. You have to run the focus wheel both ways anyway. I have binoculars that focus both ways. It makes absolutely NO difference to me which way it goes to infinity. To discard a binocular from consideration because of this is something I don't get. Other than the fact that I do "get" that people like/dislike different things, but there are things you don't need to do to yourself in the process. Before you develop into a grumpy old man, get binoculars for what they are and use them. Do not self inflict a focus direction affliction upon yourself. If you obsess on focus direction that is what it will become.

Steve:

I find we have something to agree upon 100%. I felt this thread was unusual from
the start also.
I have many different binoculars, and when it is time to use them, I just lift them to
my eyes and soon I figure out which way to focus. Which direction does not matter to me one bit.

No effort or thought required.

Jerry

Personal preference...

Binoculars are not as operatively technically challenging. I will not totally dismiss bins that are CCW. Was not fully clear in that I will try to find ones that focus CW and fit my needs.

I get the personal preference point. Since you say you are new to binoculars, my point is go for the binocular first, forget the focus. That way you learn both as you progress and it will likely be a non issue. Jerry and I are both grumpy old men who can focus either direction. If we can do it so can you ;). That leaves a whole lot more on the list to cause confusion, or looked at another way, that leaves a lot more choice...if you find "your binocular", it matters not which way it focuses. There are plenty of things to base either acceptance or rejection of a binocular on. Just don't intentionally add another one, your life will be easier.

Personal preference. I like to learn to utilize tools that feel comfortable and intuitive to me. As an example I love to fish. Have bought twenty to thirty reels over the years. Learned with spinning reels that almost always allow handle to be reversed so either hand can be used to retrieve. Prefer to hold rod with strong hand (King Salmon made me this way) and reel with left. Five years ago I got bit by the Bait-Caster reel bug. Most are not available with left hand retrieve. Sales people "all the better reels are right retrieve, you will quickly get used to it". Well I took a financial beating selling those reels after I just did not like to retrieve with my right hand. In the end I found a few quality left handers and am totally happy with them.

Binoculars don't have gear ratios like Spinning and Casting reels. (Most Fly Reels are 1/1 ratio and if you hook into a big trout or bass or bonefish or permit using one you better be bringing back in line and reeling with your dominant hand or you will lose it.)

You will probably be focusing most of the time with your dominant hand so it might not make much difference to you which direction the binocular focuses so you are right in concentrating on one that fits your needs.

Bob

Binoculars don't have gear ratios like Spinning and Casting reels. (Most Fly Reels are 1/1 ratio and if you hook into a big trout or bass or bonefish or permit using one you better be bringing back in line and reeling with your dominant hand or you will lose it.)

You will probably be focusing most of the time with your dominant hand so it might not make much difference to you which direction the binocular focuses so you are right in concentrating on one that fits your needs.

Bob

Bob:

Binoculars do indeed have gear ratios. We are talking about focus speed and they
range from slow to very fast.
I had a Nikon LXL 10x32 that was so fast I did not like it, too easy to overshoot
either way.

Personal preference is important, but for many direction is not.

Jerry

Points all well taken. Thanks. Have not or will not eliminate any choices based on CW v. CCW. Am sorry if my statement about bins that only focus the right way ruffled any feathers. Thought was that in an ideal world the makers would all design same way. Although there are shurly those that prefer CCW that thinking would be flawed.

OK, I have no intention to hijack the thread with my silly ideas about direction ;).
I agree that it's a pity to dismiss great binoculars because of this reason, but I'm among those who really can't adapt. I had one of the greatest bins, a Minox HG 8x33, and never seemed to make it a prolonged part of myself.
After that debacle I'm wary about this quality.

My larger scope, the Pentax 65, is CCW focusing, and though not ideal, it's not presenting any problems to use. But I do observe that when I change to binoculars, it takes a moment to adapt. Once again, when using CCW binoculars I don't seem to adapt.

When I was a kid, Swedish fishing reel ABU maker made those awesome Cardinal reels that unfortunately weren't reversible, so I had to get a Daiwa.
I always cast with my left hand at the reel and my right hand at the back end of the rod. And wind the crank with my right hand. When fly-fishing, I cast with my right hand and move the rod to my left hand when retrieving the line.

How many of you gentlemen would accept a car whose blinker lever was on the wrong side of the steering wheel?
Or, more subtle, if you are out driving on snowy and icy rods, would you feel perfectly confident and safe regardless of whether the car you use is rear-wheel driven or front wheel driven, when you're accustomed to the other?

Seems I'm nit-picking, but I feel that binoculars reviewers always should point out this quality. After all I'm not completely alone to feel CCW is bothersome.

//L

Jerry, Bob & Steve

Right on! - I too could care less which way they focus, just as long as they do. If I can't figure out and remember which way they go immediately upon picking them up, then perhaps I need to find something else to obsess over. I never much thought about which way they went before, and now, I just try not to think about it at all.

This is Major Tom to ground Control - And I think my spaceship knows which way to go

Tom

Bob:

Binoculars do indeed have gear ratios. We are talking about focus speed and they
range from slow to very fast.
I had a Nikon LXL 10x32 that was so fast I did not like it, too easy to overshoot
either way.

Personal preference is important, but for many direction is not.

Jerry

Yeah. It is easier to move the focus knob of an LX L with your left hand if you are right handed than it is on an SE. (I have both so I know it is.) But then you have to account for coordination too in doing it. Nikon roofs are faster than other roofs I have used but I never saw their inner workings like you can see them on fishing reels where big gears teeth hook into small gears teeth and spin the spindle faster.

Bob

*** Side note ***

I went out this morning with naked eyes and pocket camera and captured:

Common Ravens

American Crows

O-> and O-+ Yellow-Headed Blackbirds

O-> and O-+ Mallards and an all white duck w/orange feet (unidentified)

Canada Geese and chick

Gadwall (no visible blue speculum like on O-+ Mallard)

American Coot

Dark brown and white Ducks w/green beaks. One was mostly white with light tan shading (unidentified)

Mute Swan (adolescent w/brown coloring and pronounced knobbed bill)

Lastly, what I think is immature O-> Yellow-Headed Blackbird with cinnamon head and neck, white leading wing edges, white intermixed belly, and dark (black) wing tops and tail (unidentified)

;)

Points all well taken. Thanks. Have not or will not eliminate any choices based on CW v. CCW. Am sorry if my statement about bins that only focus the right way ruffled any feathers. Thought was that in an ideal world the makers would all design same way. Although there are shurly those that prefer CCW that thinking would be flawed.

Red Horn,

Please don't take my posts as my feathers being ruffled. I actually figured I'd ruffle some feathers with my comments ;). I simply think it is a mistake to beam in on a particular focus direction right out of the gate and deem it as being correct. When somebody who has developed a deep set preference for a particular reason wants to use that as a deal breaker, then that's fine. For example I'd never have given that advice to Looksharp or James Bean. They have their preferences and those preferences are second nature to them by now, so... You are just starting hence my "advice". I realize it is worth just what you paid for it too ;).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back