• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera and Monitor (1 Viewer)

shutter bug

Hi I wondered if anyone can help. I am finding my Sigma 150-500 lens too heavy to take when out walking and also it is becoming more difficult to take to Cyprus in my backpack. I am looking for a compact or bridge camera with a zoom fit for birding but reviews don't seem too good for the ones with a long zoom. The PANASONIC LUMIX FZ 1000 Seems to come out well but only has a 16x optical zoom. Has anyone any ideas please.
Iam also in the market for a new monitor and have been looking at the EIZO COLOUR EDGE CX 240 and the NEC MULTISYNC PA 242. Has anyone an opinion on either of these please

Pana camera with the older 100-300 mm lens gives you a reach to 600 mm equivalent, and the recently announced 100-400 even longer. The older setup at less than 1.5 kg, the new setup at slightly more than 1.5 kg (camera and lens both included). You could exchange for an Oly camera with not much change in weight, and oly has announced a 300 mm fixed lens that has a 1.4x TC (and oly also has the m43 sensor for a 2x crop factor).

If you go the FZ1000 route, notice the in-camera crop mode for getting better AF on those impossibly far away birds.
The superzooms with smaller sensors do surprisingly well in good light, less so in really bad light.

Check out this part of birdforum for real life experience with the pana equipment: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=375

Niels

The Nikon P900 (which I use) is a good ultra-zoom bridge camera and weighs <1kg. Have a look in the Nikon forum for the kind of shots birders are getting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back