• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bonaparte's gulls, I think; Pescadero Beach, California (1 Viewer)

djleahy

The whole category of hooded gulls was new to me until today, when I found these guys in the brackish lagoon on Pescadero Creek. I'm posting because I see a lot of very similar looking gulls in Sibley; however, it seems most likely that all of these are Bonaparte's, which I now understand to be a fairly abundant migrant here. Although this is a two-year gull, most of these appear to be young'uns.

Attachments

• pescadero_beach_2007-05-06.jpg
    pescadero_beach_2007-05-06.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 121
  • pescadero_beach__2007-05-06.jpg
    pescadero_beach__2007-05-06.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 130
  • pescadero_beach___2007-05-06.jpg
    pescadero_beach___2007-05-06.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 99
The whole category of hooded gulls was new to me until today, when I found these guys in the brackish lagoon on Pescadero Creek. I'm posting because I see a lot of very similar looking gulls in Sibley; however, it seems most likely that all of these are Bonaparte's, which I now understand to be a fairly abundant migrant here. Although this is a two-year gull, most of these appear to be young'uns.

Bonaparte's is the only hooded gull we are likely to see on the California coast, and your photos look like them. I saw one today near Santa Cruz.

Look like you have a mix of ages. Left photo top bird looks like a transition first winter to first summer (see the dark coverts on wing), some others are adults in a moult going from winter to breeding plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back