• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natural World (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Hi all, don't know if this is a new series, but Natural World is back on BBC2 tonight at 8pm - first episode is called Bearwalker of the Northwoods, about a biologist who gains the trust of black bears.

In my opinion Natural World is the BBC's best natural history output, even better than all the "big" series we see on BBC1.

Hi all, don't know if this is a new series, but Natural World is back on BBC2 tonight at 8pm - first episode is called Bearwalker of the Northwoods, about a biologist who gains the trust of black bears.

In my opinion Natural World is the BBC's best natural history output, even better than all the "big" series we see on BBC1.

Yes, JT, I have just noticed it on BBC2 and it is on now - 8pm-9pm. So we will sit back and enjoy it now.

It is not on in some areas, so I hope that most people have it on their BBC 2 Channel. Not sure how many parts there are at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00np2gk/Natural_World_20092010_Bearwalker_of_the_Northwoods/

Part 2 - Victoria Falls - The Smoke that Thunders on next Wednesday same time.

Pictures of Sea Eagles, and Dragonflies are advertised in Part 2

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
An excellent program. How I hate hunting! Hope there are plenty more as good.

Hi hampers

I agree, it was a excellent programme. The dedication that was shown towards the welfare of the Bears was really interesting - one person and his wife spending all their time with the bears to watch how they behaved, and that they are not the 'evil' animals that they are made out to be by people.

I felt so much for the little baby bear that died of a Deer virus. It suffered a whole lot before the end.

Nathan the trusting Bear (from the 3 amigos) who helped visitors get over their fear of bears gets shot by hunters - so sad and why... what for ... so heart wrenching to watch
The human ego thing, is just the worst thing for a wild animal as large as a bear to come up against. :C:C
To me the bear hunting is something that needs to be stopped, and people rethink the value of their wildlife - just go clay pigeon shooting instead. If it to shot for fun, i just hate to hear that happening. :C

There was a couple of birds shown at a blink of an eye, a Beaver and one or two other 'critters' shown. o:)

Anyway, there will be other good programmes on in the coming weeks. I am sure of that (please no more hunting though)

OH said said the same programme was on at 7pm-8pm this evening in Glasgow - so it must be on different times in Scotland. o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

Think there were red-winged blackbirds and a redpoll sp.

Agree on the hunting, just cannot see the point of it. That's my view no doubt others, not necessarily on this forum, will disagree.

Phil

I'm actually in Scotland but I had looked on the BBC2 England channels to see if it was there before posting! However, I'll be watching the HD version later tonight.

What I like about Natural World is they're often "authored" programmes, i.e. written and presented by someone so you often get a very individual view on nature, most of which are very interesting.

Think there were red-winged blackbirds and a redpoll sp.

Agree on the hunting, just cannot see the point of it. That's my view no doubt others, not necessarily on this forum, will disagree.

Phil

Hi Phil

Well done with the bird ID's - the flash of film went past my eyes to fast for me to place an ID on the birds.

True, that people on BF or otherwise, will have their own views on hunting. No doubt there will be others opinions to consider too here.

I'm actually in Scotland but I had looked on the BBC2 England channels to see if it was there before posting! However, I'll be watching the HD version later tonight.

What I like about Natural World is they're often "authored" programmes, i.e. written and presented by someone so you often get a very individual view on nature, most of which are very interesting.

Hi JT

Right, so you are watching it via HD later. I think that you will enjoy the filming of the Bears, though there are or two bits that make it hard to watch. :-C

You feel that you are getting to know the individual bears and that is what makes the programme interesting. The Bears are put first, people second. :t:

Having a written script can make narration a bit mechanical sounding. To have someone's own filmed personal experience is another thing all together.
It makes the viewing compulsive, and very entertaining to the minds eye. :-O

Looking forward to the next episode next week. :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Just watched a recording of last nights programme. Fantastic. Well filmed and wonderfully presented by 'bear fan' Llyn Rogers.

Nice to see a programme made on a well known species of mammal, the Black Bear [ forget those corney Disney pics from the 50's and 60's ].Hope to see more on these noble creatures in the future. Makes a welcome change from films of Lions and Wilderbeest.

Natural World, welcome back.

I was staggered by Lynn Rogers' relationship with "his" bears - this is research at the very sharpest bit of the cutting edge.

A delightful and informative programme. I was also affected by the hunting bits - it does seem awful that a habituated bear can be hunted, but it seems more awful that the laws are so readily flouted, frankly.

I note that the bears hunted are often (always?) eaten as well as being trophies and what I don't doubt are very comfortable rugs. I don't know how controlled hunting is - whether there are quotas set and enforced and so on, or if its just open season mayhem.

Without all the facts I am reluctant to judge too harshly.

John

I was staggered by Lynn Rogers' relationship with "his" bears - this is research at the very sharpest bit of the cutting edge.

A delightful and informative programme. I was also affected by the hunting bits - it does seem awful that a habituated bear can be hunted, but it seems more awful that the laws are so readily flouted, frankly.

I note that the bears hunted are often (always?) eaten as well as being trophies and what I don't doubt are very comfortable rugs. I don't know how controlled hunting is - whether there are quotas set and enforced and so on, or if its just open season mayhem.

Without all the facts I am reluctant to judge too harshly.

John

Lovely programme and obviously we all felt the hunting parts were a little uncomfortable.

However as Llyn Rogers mentioned several times hunting is part of the culture in those parts and I don't think its coincidental that hunting exists and large areas are reserved for wildlife. The hunting culture and support for large areas of parks and undisturbed nature go hand in hand. I don't know the situation in Minnesota but I suspect as its a liberal state full of ex Swedes its pretty well regulated.
The link below goes into quite a lot of detail on bear hunting in California
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/mgmtandharvest.html
and I'd be surprised if its dramatically different in Minnesota. To buy a bear tag allowing you to hunt one bear per year will cost $40 and the season stops when 1700 are taken.

I wonder if its also a coincidence that of the three yearling bears that he habituated to human prescence 2 out of three ended up dead, if he hadn't would that large a percentage have been hunted.

I'm also not quite so sure that bears in all circumstances are quite so forgiving as the footage on the programme suggests, I'm sure thats true of the vast vast majority but its also fact that attacks do happen and people do die even if very rarely

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

and many of those are cases where people put themselves in the way. But I wonder how someone would feel if as happened in Utah in 2007 a 11 yr boy was dragged from the family tent and killed. It seems that unlike Brown bears the attacks by Black bears whilst vanishingly rare are often predatory in nature rather than as a by product of protecting the cubs or kill, in other words they think your supper. It may be some enterprising male bear finds that hunting elk/moose calves is not so hard and very occasionally on seeing a two legged elk calf (human) has a go with disastrous consequences for all concerned.

I wonder if in this country we had such animals still wandering about whether we would be so forgiving, given the uproar about having a token wolf re-introduction in the Highlands or even beavers for that matter.

Lovely programme and hope there are many more gems as this in the new natural world series.

Tonights offering of nature around the Victoria Falls contained stunning photography, pied kingfishers, fish eagles in action, great family viewing.

What was the name of the finch type birds in a huge flock?

I loved tonights showing of Natural world. I thought the start was a little slow but as the programme developed everything was so heart felt from one person and his knowledge about the area and wildlife. The one man and his love of his land came to mind. He loved his life and his land all for the fishing to feed his large family.

I loved the Pied Kingfisher. I have seen one on South Africa and they are quite large birds. A lot larger than the Bee-eater who chased them off their patch of sandbanks.
Just a nature is in the raw, a Mongoose steals the Pied Kingfishers eggs and just watching the parent birds made you wiggle in discomfort at the Pied Kingfishers plight.

I noticed a black and White bird for a minute in the water and could not hazard a guess as to what it was.
Sometimes the commentator gave us bird species and other times he did not.

There was a glimpse of a species of Bittern, Warblers. Herons, and Cormorants. A interesting goose flew overhead. A lot of birds where shown and some disappeared quickly and others where filmed 2-3 times doing their seasonal courtship to raise a family ie the Pied Kingfisher and the fish Eagle

I loved the Gaint Kingfishers. They where specular birds. I wonder how big they are in comparison with the Pied Kingfishers.

Lots of shots of Elephant's and Hippo's living in the local waters.

I loved the Skimmer birds. One was shown having a crash land as it got its flight over the water sieving its bill over the water for food. As for the Skimmer chicks cuties! :-O
They are strange birds with their odd bill.

Lots of Red-billed Quelia, and they where everywhere, and are everywhere in Africa.

The star of the show has to be the Fish Eagle - what a beautiful bird, and very noble. The youngsters where filmed as near adults.
I loved the slow motion film of the Eagles hunting large fish for their family.

There was another short wildlife film after to do with Bison and it showed a 'Hawk' trying to catch a Pairie Dog

The narrator and the commentator person who talked us through the 'Natural World' film died last year. RIP, and thank you for your film. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Kathy - Cant remember what the bird looked like but - African Pied Wagtail?

http://images.google.co.uk/images?s...frican pied wagtail&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

TNM

You know something, I was thinking 'Wagtail', and typed in Wagtail in - but deleted it again. The bird had no wagging tail at all to give it away! LOL ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nsky2

BBC I-Player programme on now Natural World

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009sjfj

BBC I-Player programme on now Wild - Bisons (plus a Hawk in the short film)

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
The timelapse footage in this was brilliant - I loved the really dark skies!

I was also surprised that the falls dry out so much in September - I thought they flowed strongly right through the year, so seeing the bare rock faces was a real eye opener.

Agreed, very surprising.
Thanks for the Quelia ID.

We also fell quiet when that mongoose found the nest
and just watching the parent birds made you wiggle in discomfort at the Pied Kingfishers plight

The ending was a very reflective moment, my ten year old daughter asked whether he was saying goodbye to us or his land because he was dying.

Regards

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back