• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GBB Gulls - UK (1 Viewer)

HerbieH

I'm trying to age some GBB Gulls and any help would be appreciated.

The June 2006 photo looks like adult plumage to me but an immature bill - could it be 3rd summer?

June 2009 looks like immature plumage to me but an adult bill - could this also be 3rd summer?

Aug 2008 - is this 2nd summer?

Thanks
Herbie

Attachments

• GBB Gull June 2006.jpg
    GBB Gull June 2006.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 73
  • GBB Gull June 2009.jpg
    GBB Gull June 2009.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 67
  • GBB Gull Aug 2008.jpg
    GBB Gull Aug 2008.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 70
Photo #1 = 3rd c.y. ( almost adult looking but with non-adult bare parts colours )
Photos #2 & #3 are 2nd c.y. ( 'Lots' of juv - type feathers in the wings. )

Chris

Thanks for the replies and particularly to Lou for the gull-research link which should help with my gull education which still has some way to go!

Herbie

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back