• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colorado-Kansas-Bali INFO (1 Viewer)

faswimmer

undefinedundefinedundefined
I am a new member living in Southern California. I am starting to plan a trip to Colorado and if necessary Kansas for next April early May 2005. If there are any of you that have been to this area of the US, I would like to here from you with any tips or info on good spots. My wish list is the following: King Rail, Gray partridge, White-tailed Ptarmigan, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Gunnison Sage Grouse, Greater and Lesser Prairie Chickens, Blue-winged warbler, Connecticut Warbler, Swainson’s Warbler, The Rosy Finches, Hoary Redpoll and a few others.
So far (because I am just starting) I am on my own, but an optimum trip would have 4 people to share info and costs. Anyone interested??
My wife and I are also planning a trip to Bali next year and I will get at least a few days of birding in, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you all in advance.

Amos Swimmer
San Clemente, Ca.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Hello faswiimmer and welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff here.

I've also copied your post into our "information wanted" forum where it may get more exposure. Enjoy yourself while you are here.

Hi faswimmer

Bali is a lovely island and has some very good birding. The best site is Bali Barat National Park, which is in the west of the island, not far from Gilimanuk where the ferries leave for Java - you could start at Labuan Lalang which you can easily reach from Gilimanuk. It has a good range of species, including a very small number of Bali Starling, found nowhere else. You would need special help from the wardens/guards to see the starling, but you can get a good range of other birds.

Sanur can be a good place to stay - the atmosphere is better than Kuta and you can get some good shorebirds in the area. Get one of the fishermen to take you out to Pulau Serangan (pulau = island).

There used to be a man called Victor Mason who did birding trips around Ubud. I don't know whether or not he still does, but it could be worth enquiring as it would be a good way of getting to know the commoner birds. Ubud is a very interesting spot in itself anyway. Bedugul is also well worth a visit.

Rhion said:
Hi faswimmer

Bali is a lovely island and has some very good birding. The best site is Bali Barat National Park, which is in the west of the island, not far from Gilimanuk where the ferries leave for Java - you could start at Labuan Lalang which you can easily reach from Gilimanuk. It has a good range of species, including a very small number of Bali Starling, found nowhere else. You would need special help from the wardens/guards to see the starling, but you can get a good range of other birds.

Sanur can be a good place to stay - the atmosphere is better than Kuta and you can get some good shorebirds in the area. Get one of the fishermen to take you out to Pulau Serangan (pulau = island).

There used to be a man called Victor Mason who did birding trips around Ubud. I don't know whether or not he still does, but it could be worth enquiring as it would be a good way of getting to know the commoner birds. Ubud is a very interesting spot in itself anyway. Bedugul is also well worth a visit.
Thank you for the info.
Amos

I was in Bali 2 summers ago and tried to contact Victor Mason with no success. Lots of Javan Kingfishers around Ubud. Fun restaurants and shopping there. Have fun.. Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back