• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another New Member from CT (Long) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkykatz

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kris and I live in Fairfield County CT. It's strange that I happen to be here, since by nature I am a cat person. However 3 years ago while I was washing my car I went to take a step back and low and behold there was this tiny little white bird. Everytime I went to lean down to pick up this little bird it would flutter it's wings and try to fly away; Only to land back down on the ground. As I took steps to walk away from the bird it would follow me by hoping towards me.

The people that live next door to me are bird lovers so we called them over.
They brought a cage over and Jeff put his shirt over the little bird so's that we could get this little bird into the cage.

The last thing in the world I wanted was a bird, since I had 4 cats. But I just could not leave this little bird out in the wild. This little bird was missing it's feathers from it's head and seem to be very hungry.

I work at a Senior Center so I began my search on trying to find a home for this little bird. I got a few leads on a home for this little bird, but nothing came forth. Then I found a women who was willing to take the bird and set it free when it was fully recovered. She was a wildlife bird person.

I brought the bird to her and as it turned out this little bird was not a wild bird but indeed a Finch that must have been someones pet who either they let go or the bird just got out somehow. She said that if I had not picked up this bird that it would not have lived and would have died, either but cats, bigger birds. etc. In anycase she did'nt take the bird so back home the bird went with me. She said it was one lucky little bird.

Then I took the little bird to the vet just to make sure she was healthy, as I just did'nt want to give a sick bird to anyone. Well she got loose and was flying all around the exam room. The amazing thing was she would fly to me. The vet said that was so unusual that birds unsualy fly aware from people.

The little bird check out just fine and back home she went with me. I began to read about birds on the interent and found that some pet shops feed these birds to snakes if they don't sell. Oh my god I thought this is not going to happen to this little bird. So I decided that there was no one out there that I trusted to take care of this bird. So I kept her. Somewhere along the line I bonded with her and she bonded with me; So much so that she has even layed her egg in the palm of my hand. She sits on my finger,and gets excited to see me.

I have no idea how old she is but I do know that she was an adult bird when I found her and I have had her for 3 years so she is at least 4 +.

About two weeks ago I did'nt think she was feeling well, as she was puffed up and sitting in her dish a lot. I took her to the Vet and it was agreed that she may be sick. Her gram study was normal. The vet said she could give her and antibotic shot just in case she had something going on. Then she said oh I have to tell you that she could die of a heart attack from the shot. I almost hit the floor, as I did'nt know what to do. I looked at Tweety ( that's what she is called now) and said oh she is not going to die. Tweety did'nt feel the shot at all. Nearly a week past before I saw any change. Then she was up on her swing, playing with her bells, on her buddy bed, looking at herself in the mirror. Oh I was so happy. But now things seem to being going backwards again and I am afraid to take her back to the vet again, as I am scared to death about these shots.

Tweety is back to sitting in the dish a lot and it worries me as I don't want to take the chance of her dying from these shots. Tweety is not Puffed up, she does like to lay her eggs in the dish, she also picks up her feathers and puts them in the dish. She will take a bath, eat, drink water. look at the birdie in the mirror, and play with her toys. She does all these things and then goes back to the dish on and off for the day. I sprinkle Prime vitamin minerals in her food and give her Avimin in her water. She eats bird seed, greens, and eggs shells.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, could she be depressed and if so how do I get her out of it? I am sorry this post is so long. But I felt I should give you a little history on Tweety. I know these birds don't live long but I have gotten very attached to her as she has to me.

At least the cats are learning the word NO BIRDIE, Mine.

Thanks for listening and any advice would be appreciate.

Kris

Hi Kris,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

A very interesting read, though I'm not sure how much help will be found here. Bird Forum is about 'wild' rather than captive birds. Perhaps someone may be able to point you in the direction of a website where suitable advice may be sort.

See you around.

I am John, I live in Suisun City California. I just joined after reading the posts about favorite birds. Mine are the cranes which come to the Garcia River Flat each year. Was a dirt road from Highway 1 to the Ocean on the Point Arena side of the river. We never missed visiting each year while I was growing up. Do not think too many people knew of this place and we never thought to tell strangers about it.
The Finch might be going broody and wants to nest. Probably would be nice to introduce a male to the family. They can be fasinating in a home cage and will nest if given a little basket in a upper corner. I have raised quail for release on the ranch hedge rows and they do well in the bottom of a Finch outdoor cage.
Peace, john Ciolina

Hello Kris and John

Please note, Birdforum.net is about the discussion of WILD BIRDS only. I'm sure there are plenty of websites out there more suitable to your needs.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back