• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clovis, NM 8/17/13 (1 Viewer)

logan3m

I need some help. I was told that there was a Yellow-crowned Night Heron in Clovis, so I went looking. This is what I found and told that I got it. I don't believe this is the yellow-crowned. Am I wrong?

Secondly, What is this one? The picture is TERRIBLE, but it maybe good enough for an ID?

IMG_9442.jpg

IMG_9469.JPG

The first picture is a juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron. It can be separated from Yellow-crowned by having a much more yellow bill (Yellow-crowned has an all dark bill), and large white spots on the wing coverts, whereas the Yellow-crowned has tiny white spots. The Yellow-crowned also has a somewhat blocky head, the Black-crowned not so much.

The second bird is an Oriole, likely either a Bullock's or Hooded, but I'm not sure how to separate them from this view. EDIT: Didn't realize Clovis was so far east in NM - it is probably out of range of Hooded. Possibly in range of Orchard, but this doesn't look like an Orchard. Bullock's is the favorite.

Last edited:
I agree with Randy on the Night-heron. Everything about this bird fits Black-crowned. The large amount of yellow on the bill (and the bill shape) makes this an easy call for BCNH.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back