• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semipalmated Sandpiper, NL, Canada (1 Viewer)

cangoose

My id is based on its black bill, blackish legs and other descriptions. Also, they were reported in the same location before.
Thanks! o:D

Attachments

• p8170268_副本.jpg
    p8170268_副本.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 110
  • p8170277_副本.jpg
    p8170277_副本.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 90
The white "V" on mantle and obvious rufous upper scapulars, the startling white supercilium in front of the eyes? From the first photo?
These details lead me to believe this a juvenile Western Sandpiper.
I do not see the second photo as good to work from.
Some detail on the black markings on the wing coverts would be more helpful. But, even with the first image, a Semi-P's anchor shaped markings would be discernable perhaps? Any better photos Lancy?
IMHO juv Western.

The white "V" on mantle and obvious rufous upper scapulars, the startling white supercilium in front of the eyes? From the first photo?
These details lead me to believe this a juvenile Western Sandpiper.
I do not see the second photo as good to work from.
Some detail on the black markings on the wing coverts would be more helpful. But, even with the first image, a Semi-P's anchor shaped markings would be discernable perhaps? Any better photos Lancy?
IMHO juv Western.

Thanks, Phil! I'm afraid they are the best I could get. I haven't thought about Western Sandpiper, as it is really rare here. I'll check other pictures to see if I could find something useful.

Edit: the "rufous" was mainly because of the strong light. There were four of them and all were gray.

Last edited:
Lancy,

I may be wrong. So wait for others' opinions. You've got Semi-P and Least to fall back on. The pics are fine and should get you an ID. And, hopefully, me being proved wrong! ;)

Best,

Phil

Lancy,

I may be wrong. So wait for others' opinions. You've got Semi-P and Least to fall back on. The pics are fine and should get you an ID. And, hopefully, me being proved wrong! ;)

Best,

Phil

Thank you very much for your help, Phil! I'm so inexperienced with shorebirds. Here is the "cheat sheet" I took with me today, which looks really stupid.8-P

Attachments

• P8170307_副本.jpg
    P8170307_副本.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 48
Lancy,

Best,

Phil

Hi Phil,
I found two other pictures. They are not better but, from different angle, may (or may not) provide more information.
Thank you very much for your help!
Lancy

Attachments

• p8170275_副本.jpg
    p8170275_副本.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 56
  • p8170263_副本.jpg
    p8170263_副本.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 46
Looks initially like Least to me (pale legs, all those scap edges and split super) , though the bill looks more robust than usual. and obviously not if they were really all grey in the field - plus the upper breast looks a bit clean!

Which puts me back into bright juv Semi P territory!

Last edited:
Looks initially like Least to me (pale legs, all those scap edges and split super) , though the bill looks more robust than usual. and obviously not if they were really all grey in the field - plus the upper breast looks a bit clean!

Which puts me back into bright juv Semi P territory!

Hi Jane,
Thank you for your help! I'm sorry for the poor images, in which colors do not look right. They might look better if I adjusted white balance, but the over all quality would still be the same. The "pale legs" are actually blackish. Maybe it's time to invest on a better camera.
Cheers,
Lancy

At first I thought western sandpiper but I did not know they were rare at that location. I read the above posts and looked again and noticed that the streaking on the chest is not as prominent as I would normally see on a western sandpiper. This does appear to be a juvenile bird to me which makes it much more difficult for me! If it is not a western sandpiper I would guess it is a semipalmated sandpiper as well.

At first I thought western sandpiper but I did not know they were rare at that location. I read the above posts and looked again and noticed that the streaking on the chest is not as prominent as I would normally see on a western sandpiper. This does appear to be a juvenile bird to me which makes it much more difficult for me! If it is not a western sandpiper I would guess it is a semipalmated sandpiper as well.

Hi Tom,
http://naturenl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/bird_checklist.pdf
According to the checklist, Western Sandpiper is listed as X* (VERY RARE, recorded three times or less). The checklist has not been updated for a while, so, I checked eBird and found three records by a same person, all traced back to 1989-1990. I wouldn't say Western Sandpiper is impossible but the chance is really rare.
Lancy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back