• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full Size Bino Help for TOTAL newbie (1 Viewer)

Try Leupold Katmai 6x32. Compact and big bino view... and good price. More compact than you would think. Frank can tell about these as I think he has owned a pair at some time (what pair has Frank not owned?) These little bins could work for all your needs... no kidding!

MeoStars are superb. http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kowa85x44.html

I know Frank can give you the lowdown on this model.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you're hooked on compacts, get the best you can afford. The ~$100 compact roofs are mostly similar, and mostly garbage. I'm looking forward to checking out the 8x20 Ultravid, myself. I've only heard about the high end compacts, never experienced them...
Consider the Leupold Katmai 6x32(edit: I see oleaf beat me to it!), which are smaller than other 32mm binoculars, and should smoke any compact.
Here's a link to BobinKY's wonderfully entertaining and informative thread on CN-comparing Nikon, Swarovski, and Leica compacts with 32mm Leupold Katmai, Pentax ED, and Minox HG. Scroll down to posts starting on 8/15/07 to get right into the comparisons.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...ge/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

..... After picking my jaw up off the ground, and reading up, sizing up the field, etc., I'm ready to say I want to confirm my personal thoughts, and get some help.

GenEv

Dear General, Sir!

Instead of joining the band of gospeleers who ignore your statements which have been quite precise, assuming that you don#t know what you are talking about, I shall rather take an opposite approach, assuming you've got a brain to make up your mind with.
If you have managed to successfully pick up your lower jaw and fix it with a few drops of superglue to the upper one you might be interested in reading the review of pocket binos I shall humbly submit by attching it to the end of this message.

A pocket bino is a compromise, yes, but it's also a useful appendage to a full-size instrument.

"Porros" are not dead .... "they just smell funny" (to quote a great american rock pioneer). There are some high quality models left that give excellent results.
Even mid-priced specimens easily give results not visible different from roof prism models costing 3 times as much.

You can#t go wrong in the top league. The field is easy to nagivate: there are but four manufacturers who play in it. Performance is invariably excellent. The rest is up to personal taste.

In the low-price area you get low performance for a low price. You don't expect much, you will not be disappointed.

The mid-priced range (300-1000 USD) is a MINEFIELD !
You may get excellence, you may get total junk. Here it is where every step needs good consideration.

Discriminate measurable performance date from personal opinions!

Good luck, General. Keep your head in the trench.

Major Tom

Attachments

• alula1-2006.pdf
    422 KB · Views: 2,639
Major, I think the low end is the minefield. The mid range gives consistent quality but prices vary quite a bit in 500-1000 dollar range for very similar optics.

Major, I think the low end is the minefield. The mid range gives consistent quality but prices vary quite a bit in 500-1000 dollar range for very similar optics.

No. Not at all. In the low range you get low performance for low price.

For 600 or 800 (USD or Euros) you can get excellent optical performance such in a Zeiss Conquest or turbidity and dullness such as in a ........ look at the MEASUREMENTS!

At the low end and the top end you get what you pay for.

In between it is practically unpredictable ... unless you have an optical bench to take indisputable measurements.

Sorry, but that's hard fact.

Nothing wrong with low-end or mid-range (if you know what you are doing!),
Tom

Your list of brands in the test is very small. No Bushnell, no Vortex, no Pentax.

I did not do the tests;)
You know there are very few tests based on hard facts out there.
You may get a bunch of instruments and do a set of tests according to acknowledged ISO protocols (to make sure they are comparable).
I think it's mainly a problem of costs.

There are some Pentaxes, by the way (a company I know well because I have used their cameras for a long time). Their binos fare well, and in my very personal opinion they are attractive, reliable mid-range instruments giving a good value-for-money ratio.

Tom

As far as the small units go, I do not care too much for a 8x20 alpha bin. The low end and mid end products have a 8x28mm unit in their line these days. I would be happy with a Leica or other top end 8x28mm with a fov of 400ft. I would pay maybe 600 for it.

In your Alula review, I would go for the Opticron*, 25mm, or a similar Vortex Vanquish. Which I would recommend to the original poster as well for a compact. I agree that under 100 dollar 8x25 roof prisms never make most of us happy. Just something to carry around for a quick look on a walk. Mine are Minoltas.

*Second choice would be the Nikon for its widest fov of those tested.

Last edited:
For 600 or 800 (USD or Euros) you can get excellent optical performance such in a Zeiss Conquest or turbidity and dullness such as in a ........ look at the MEASUREMENTS!
[...]
Tom
Hey Tom, maybe I'm showing my true colors (tenderfoot green), but is there some particular warning against a particular make/model you're implying, but don't wish to let others know? Send me a PM if you don't want to say it publicly; but I'm completely oblivious to the etiquette of not insulting makes/models that are inferior. And the figures... I can read them, but really, what matters most is subjective perspectives, as I have had little enough experience I could spout off about diopter adjustments and FOV, but be completely clueless, and not realize how a sticky focus wheel might destroy any leisure binoculars.

As far as the small units go, I do not care too much for a 8x20 alpha bin. [...]
In your Alula review, I would go for the Opticron*, 25mm, or a similar Vortex Vanquish. Which I would recommend to the original poster as well for a compact. I agree that under 100 dollar 8x25 roof prisms never make most of us happy. Just something to carry around for a quick look on a walk. Mine are Minoltas.

*Second choice would be the Nikon for its widest fov of those tested.
Tero, I hope I don't come off as dismissive, petty, or insulting. My post count is low, my lurk count very high. Your contributions to this website are nothing to sniff at, and actually taking time to help me with this choice, I have nothing but respect for you. However, I do honestly want to know: do you carry at ALL times a pair of 25mm, or your preferred formats(?) x28 or x32 at all hours that you are outside of your house? If so, what else do you carry with you? I am looking for a pair of binoculars that will be with me as constantly as I do my cell phone, keys, flashlight, pocketknife. For EDC, or every day carry, people are willing to pay a premium, sometimes like 50% or more to cut some ounces or to lower the overall volume by 10%. Sometimes I don't have my bag with me, and it might go on a belt, or, heaven forbid, pants pockets. If there is a magical way to carry larger binocs with me for 16 hours, every day, ALL the time (until I lay me down to rest), without it being more cumbersome, I'm all ears.

Dear General, Sir!

Instead of joining the band of gospeleers who ignore your statements which have been quite precise, assuming that you don#t know what you are talking about, I shall rather take an opposite approach, assuming you've got a brain to make up your mind with. [...]
Major Tom
Tom, as always, courtesy is met with courtesy, and high estimations of my judgment by a more seasoned member is met with exceeding deference on my part. Alas, to invest in the high end at this point is simply not feasible. No meaningful discernible income at this point = insanity to insist to the powers that be (parents) that purchasing alpha bins is a good idea. And the powers that be have been more than generous with help along my educational career, and my mother being a CPA means that she overlooks my tax returns when helping me out...
"GenEV, what's this $1,200 gone from your account here?"
"Oh, yeah, forgot to tell you! I found an awesome pair of Ultravids on CameralandNY, and had to get them!"
"Umm... that's a stock?"
"No, just about the best pair of binoculars ever!"
"Right... [a few hours later] GenEv, we think you should finish your final semester at another school"
"Really mom? Well, alright, where is it?"
"Just follow the men in the white coats outside..."
Forgive my digression. What I'm trying to say here, is that I'm prepared to invest in some instruments that are investment worthy, but only to a point. Small roofs don't seem to be getting better by leaps and bounds, so that purchase should stay good. The large format bins, however, leap so much in difference every few years, I can't justify going the ramen/no beer/odd-jobs/parents thinking I'm crazy for a pair of binoculars that will have a 3% advantage over ones that cost 1/3. If I do become a police sniper, I will upgrade. But let's talk about that after I (unbeknownst to me!) become a sniper.

If you're hooked on compacts, get the best you can afford. The ~$100 compact roofs are mostly similar, and mostly garbage.
Righto. Thanks for the confirmation of suspicions.

Try Leupold Katmai 6x32. [...]
Cheers
Yes, I've agonized over them quite a bit. May be in consideration, but I'm trying to maintain the myth of 2 bins at this point! That might not be the truth in the future, but for now, please, let my castles in the clouds stand!!

Regarding your choice of Zeiss Victory 8x20, I think you will be happy with it and it may be better than the cheaper Conquest for you as I think it has twist or pullup eyecups and is waterproof.
Again, I want to go as high as possible with compacts... but the price differential between everything and the ultravids... it's killing me. $150 (minimum) could be so much better spent on large optics...

FrankD really likes the Leupold Cascades 8x42 (Opticron HR WP 8x42 in UK). Very sharp. Waterproof. Internal focuser. Rather narrow FOV. You need a very good roof to beat it.

Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED or non-ED. The "poor man's Swarovski". More bulky than a roof - the main reason for the change to roofs, IMHO, was ergonomics. But the view is good. ER is mediocre. Wide field.
Those cascades are EXTREMELY attractive at the price. What's the cheapest that beats it- a promaster/hawke?

I do know all about the cheaper porros- I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 yosemites or something when funds are more free to have around in different places.
Since you claim to do minimal birding with these, get the 8x20 Zeiss or get the lightest and most compact 8x32 you can find. There are numerous good models these days, but the Meopta may be the best for under 1000. Pentax 8x32 ED comes close, may be even better to some.
Point blank question: are the Meoptas better than the promaster/hawke, and in what ways? Again, considering that my discretionary spending at this point amounts to... I'm going to guess off the top of my head, around $3,000... Yeah. 1/3rd of my total discretionary for the year. On binocs that may not be better than something that's 1/6th my discretionary fund. It won't always be this way; but take that into account- I've got a girlfriend (dates, etc.), champagne tastes, a beer budget... and I need to make it all work! I have saved some money for combined, at this point, of under $1000, and that $1000 mark is the point where I cry (not entirely joking) if the binoculars aren't like having transplanted eagle eyes.

I have no argument with your plan to get a good compact, and the Zeiss 8x20 Victory is my second favorite 8x20 after the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL (I own both). [...]

It's true that an awesome 8x32 will give you nearly uncompromised optical performance in a very compact package (the Leica 8x32 Ultravid is my vote for the champ in that regard), but it is also true that the performance of top-end pocket roofs can be stunningly good. In fact, I would recommend getting the best (Leica Ultravid or Zeiss Victory) and being done with it. You'll have the small end covered for life, and you can get a good 8x32 or 8x42 to complement it when you have the money to do so in the future. I wouldn't go with an 8x25 or 8x28--much bulkier than the Zeiss 8x20, too close in size to the 8x32 that you might get down the road, and I don't know of any that are top-notch optically so if you might be tempted (and rightly so) to upgrade in the future.

My pocket roofs get _a lot_ of use; besides being great for any occasion when I want to have a bino with me without noticing that I'm carrying one, they're handy for butterflying (<6 foot close focus and no need for a big exit pupil for viewing those sun loving critters), when I'm juggling secondary importance binoculars with primary importance camera, at theater/dance/orchestral performances, and are a constant companion in my day bag during spring and fall migrations.

--AP
Right! Your post is one of those that I cut the least out of, because your post is almost exactly my thought process. I'm committed to no longer buying crap, ever. If I buy something, I want it to be worthwhile. If I buy a promaster, yeah, I might upgrade to a Swaro EL, but that promaster is too good to let go to waste... and it would still fit somewhere as a purpose. But I don't buy cheap these days, if I can at all help it.

There isn't anything that will beat them (Promaster/Hawke) optically at the $500 point; until you hit the alpha's. And then the difference is really slim. I've spent some time the last couple of weeks comparing my Promaster ELX ED to top end Swarovski EL, Leica U HD, Zeiss FL, and Steiner XP. I'll get a post together about that and get it up by this evening, I hope.
Post was awesome. Just read it. Thanks for the review! Very helpful. Anyway, I'll continue to read and answer posts. In the meanwhile, I'm busy seeing if I can arrange a time to play with another forum member to play with his compacts, to get an idea of what I'm doing! There's a reason I joined as opposed to just lurking...

Meoptas: have not seen them, and very few here have seen the 8x32.

Small and portable: The 8x20s are the best bet for that. Most of them come with a belt pouch. In summer and fall I go without binoculars a lot. But when I have a winter coat I have either an 8x25 or the Excursion 8x28 when outdoors on foot. I find peregrines etc in winter.

General

Out of curiosity sake, what do you have on your person in day to day "take it everywhere with me" use? For example just you and your shirt and pants pockets, a small backpack, or perhaps a fanny pack or just what. As you are finding out optics choices are more about balancing a set of strong points against a set of weak points and living with the compromise.

If your normal routine is out and about with shirt and jeans pockets only and you need/want a binocular always with you then you're down to an expensive alpha brand compact. Something like the reverse porro like the Opticron Tiags in the attachment from ThoLa's attachment, or the Bushnell Custom Elite. But the reverse porros are not real pocket friendly, save maybe the cargo pocket on a pair of pants. Something like a small digital camera pouch with a belt loop might work here too. As everybody has said, the cheap shirt pocket size compacts don't usually amount to much. If that's what you need/want, then spend for a good alpha compact first. Then work on adding to or stretching the discretionary for something that balances the use you will develop for the compact.

If you have a pack/fannypack, then judge the size of the spot you will carry the glass in and look for something like the Leupold 6x32 Katmi. Or something else compatible with the size.

Last edited:
Point blank question: are the Meoptas better than the promaster/hawke, and in what ways?

You can ask Frank his opinion as he has owned both.

The 8x42 Meostars have a breath taking view, no "rolling ball" when panning, more compact than most 42's, have one of the widest, flattest FOV's of any other alpha 42 and are priced as a bargain.

I've got the 7x and love them. I made a direct comparison to the current Swaro EL 8.5x and took the Meopta. But don't take my word... try them yourself.

Cheers

PS. Just get the Katmai and enjoy.

GeneralEverything,

Whatever you do, don't compromise on your logic. It is really spot on. Until recently I have carried a pocket binocular (an 8x25 Pentax DCF MC II) with me at all times and it has often proved invaluable at allowing me to truly observe, rather than just look at, whatever had caught my interest. I recently dropped my compact and knocked it severely out of collimation so; I am without until it is either fixed or replaced. I definitely feel naked without it.

The 30mm class of binocular is useless as a compact. They are O.K. for people who don't use their optics in the early morning, late evening, under heavy cover, or in bad weather. Such people may want more comfrortable regular viewing than a true compact offers but, don't need the added low-light performance of full-size glass. This middle class of optic works great for them. However such binoculars are definitely not small enough for the purposes you described. The 26-28 mm binoculars are just plain useless alltogether; not enough physically smaller than the 30mm class to be any real benefit and not sufficiently larger than the 20mm binoculars to offer any better, more comfortable extended viewing.

Stick with the 8x20 format and buy the best you can. Even my 8x25 sometimes proved just a tiny bit too big for total comfort. For this reason (and for my desire to better the optical performance of the Pentax) I am leaning toward replacing (rather than fixing) my compact.

Here's my short list:
8x20 Nikon Premier LXL
8x20 Zeiss Victory
8x20 Zeiss Conquest

Last edited:
The 8x20 Conquest is a bit of a loser with rubber eye cups, but the optics are impressive enough. If I did not have to pay for them, I would use them. ;)

GenEv;

Because of some of the comments above I now realize that my use of compacts is not as unique as I thought.

Since the mid-late 60’s, if I had my wallet with me, I also had a compact bino in my pocket, mostly 8x20 but sometimes 6x20 or 7x20. These days if I know I am going to be out most of the day I carry the Ultravid and if I do not expect to be out at all I will still carry an old 8x20 Zeiss sometimes because they are even smaller. I use compacts far more than the larger bins. I do use larger bins on weekends or at times when I know I am going to be using more than usual, but even then, I still have compacts in my pocket.

If I had limited funds for binos, most of it would be allocated to the compacts because of the time I use them and the need for smaller optics to be better.

I am glad to see that the use of compacts is more wide spread than I had thought from most posts here.

I would heed the advice of others above and not compromise on your perceived needs and requirements.

Have a good day.

Ron

The 8x20 Conquest is a bit of a loser with rubber eye cups...

For anyone pondering Zeiss Conquest versus Victory 8x20, I strongly recommend steering clear of the Conquest. The optics of the Victory are superior, its build is more solid, and its single hinge asymmetric design allows for a much better hand hold (the Conquest double hinges lack positive stops). Furthermore, the strap and strap attachment of the Conquest is a joke, and its "hang" is poor, whereas the Victory eyelets allow for easy strap adjustment or replacement, and the bino lays flat against one's body when hanging on its strap.

--AP

(lucznik)
The 30mm class of binocular is useless as a compact*. They are O.K. for people who don't use their optics in the early morning, late evening, under heavy cover, or in bad weather. Such people may want more comfrortable regular viewing than a true compact offers but, don't need the added low-light performance of full-size glass.

This is not entirely true. My use is more seasonal. I use 8x32s quite a lot, almost half a year pretty much by themselves even in bad weather. In winter I use 10x42s and 8x42s, mainly due to the cloudy weather and the habitat, open field. If I had some alpha glass 8x32, or maybe a Meopta 8x32, I would probably use it most of the time, with the 10x42 occasionally used in fields.

*But if one wants true compacts, certainly go for 8x20.

Last edited:
You can still get a Leica 8 x 20 Trinovid for $459.00. It's not waterproof, but it sure is small enough. You can take it anywhere. It will fit in a shirt pocket. I've taken it to concerts and enjoyed using it there. It's optics are 1st rate. http://www.astronomics.com/main/pro...e/U7PT221USP4N8JDJXHW2R079M2/product_id/L820B

You will have enough change left over to get one of these Swift HHS 8.5 x 44 Roof Prisms. It's an excellent all purpose binocular for it's price. Swift thought enough about it to name it after it's founder: Humphrey H. Swift.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=1156

You will still have almost 200 bucks to play with.:t:

Bob

PS: I forgot to add that this older model little Leica Trinovid comes with a Lifetime instead of a 10 year warranty

Last edited:
Okay, I expect to get heat, but in my opinion a 10x25 compact has much to be desired over an 8x20 for multi-purpose use. It's slightly larger, but it has more reach and a better twilight factor (15.8 vs. 12.6). An 8x30, incidentally, is only 15.5. I always have my Swaro 10x25 SLC with me, although I could just as easily carry my wife's 8x20 SLC. In fact, I used it exclusively for three years of birding in the early 90s.

It may be argued that it's hard to hold steady, but my experience is that you learn how to use it, just as with the 8x20.

If I were buying today, the Ultravids have a lot of appeal, but Swaros are still not out of the running with updated Swarobright prism coatings. Nikons LX also deserve a look.

Buy for the long term. Enjoy every minute of ownership.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back