• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Awkward Species (British) (1 Viewer)

Runcorn Birder

I've been birding for over ten years now and am still missing the following, despite a fair amount of effort seawatching and responding to sightings....

Great Shearwater

Cory's Shearwater

Caspian Tern (nightmare mobile one day species I haven't even been close to; anybody else suffering with this ?)

Red-throated Pipit

Melodious Warbler (short staying south coast migrant that I've always thought would turn up farther north but never does)

Serin (see Caspian Tern)

Does anybody else have any more to add to this list ? Aquatic Warbler perhaps ? Quail ? Black-headed Bunting ?

I think everyone has their bogey birds Runcorn Birder - I know I do.

If you consider the "British" birds that would have graced the observers book of birds or the like when I was a kid, in my view the hardest species to see in my opinion is Great Shearwater unless you live your life in west Cornwall of course. I saw my first through regular holidays in mid August coinciding with the Scillonian pelagic but this no longer runs so you would need to venture out of St Mary's to stand a decent chance. Some years they are scarce and in others, easy with around 400 seen in one day in August 1999. Kentish Plover also eluded me until recently as a species considered "British" when I first took an early interest in birds.

In terms of annual vargrants, I find Bee-eater to be a difficult bird to twitch because they don't tend to hang around.

Portland in August is a good place for Melodious Warbler amongst other things - I guess catching up with the species you list also depends on luck and an ability to travel when the birds are first reported.

Last edited:
I think everyone has their bogey birds Runcorn Birder - I know I do.

If you consider the "British" birds that would have graced the observers book of birds or the like when I was a kid, in my view the hardest species to see in my opinion is Great Shearwater unless you live your life in west Cornwall of course. I saw my first through regular holidays in mid August coinciding with the Scillonian pelagic but this no longer runs so you would need to venture out of St Mary's to stand a decent chance. Some years they are scarce and in others, easy with around 400 seen in one day in August 1999. Kentish Plover also eluded me until recently as a species considered "British" when I first took an early interest in birds.

In terms of annual vargrants, I find Bee-eater to be a difficult bird to twitch because they don't tend to hang around.

Portland in August is a good place for Melodious Warbler amongst other things - I guess catching up with the species you list also depends on luck and an ability to travel when the birds are first reported.

They're not really bogey birds as such, just difficult to connect with for whatever reason (luck, geographical location, availability when one does turn up etc).

Definitely agree with Kentish Plover. The Leicestershire bird last year was the closest (from the North West) twitchable one in the eleven years I've been on the scene. Although there was another at Cockersands Abbey last month.

I also think I have a reluctance to do a long distance journey for something that isn't particularly rare, which means that you end up waiting for something closer to come along to reduce the mileage, whereas something really rare would justify the mileage.

I agree Runcorn Birder, I tend not to travel any great distance to see birds I've seen elsewhere just so I can sleep with the thought of having added to a British list.

I've seen Serin locally in Beds and Caspian Tern in Bucks. RTPipit was in Norfolk so slightly further away.

Quail can be tricky to see but fairly easy to find and hear if you know the prime locations. Lady A's pheasant is nigh on impossible now with only a few birds left on the Woburn estate.

I still haven't tried to connect with Rosefinch in Britain - I must try harder.

I got Serin at Rainham two years ago, when it wintered. I am finding Gropper very difficult. I must have dipped them around 10 times. Still never seen one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back