• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

I don't want to be overly questioning of people's sightings, but the recent mention of Jack Snipes at Longham troubles me.

Normally Jack Snipe only flush a very short distance when you do disturb them, and are very difficult to flush at all. Yet recently the Longham birds all seem to have taken off and flown a long way, which certainly isn't standard behaviour.

Did you guys see these birds well enough to be absolutely sure?

I'm asking because I'm the (unofficial) list-keeper of birds for Longham.

Hi Dominic

As the guy reporting I can be 100% sure it was a Jack Snipe on both occasions.

Ray

Last edited:
Got caught in the rain this afternoon, walking round. Still saw 2 stonechats, and 2 female teal, which were very wary. Wonder if these were the birds that you saw Ray and thought were Garganey?
Several lapwings, gang of wigeon, but not much else.
Chris

Chris,

Got caught in the same storm, think we said hello to you as we walked by (couple with push chair). Did wonder if it was you, but the boy got a bit of a soaking so we were heading back.

Bren

Got caught in the rain this afternoon, walking round. Still saw 2 stonechats, and 2 female teal, which were very wary. Wonder if these were the birds that you saw Ray and thought were Garganey?
Several lapwings, gang of wigeon, but not much else.
Chris

No Chris. There were 7 Teal on that day and the 2 Garganey.
Out of interest, I have not seen them this late in the year before but have had a look on birdguide's sightings. There were reports from elsewhere in the same week one of which was over the border at Blashford.

Ray

Last edited:
Longham Lake

Got up early and took advantage of the beautiful frosty morning.
Highlights were a fox, 2 roe deer, 2 snipe on the big island, and 2 kingfishers.
Will post some pictures of the frost later.
Chris

I only wish that I was closer to Longham and I'd be joining you! Apart from Sutton Bingham, there's nothing on this side of the county to attract the water birds.

Early morning visit to Longham. Poor light, drizzle and wind. Only bird of interest Green sandpiper. Back by 8.45 for the kids!

Longham this evening

Got to visit at dusk.. Not much to see apart from a kingfisher. Didn't walk all the way round as couple with a dog off the lead looked like they would have scared everything. Several lapwings on the island.
There were some lads with a couple of very noisy motorbikes in the horse field by the river. Quite irritating, but not actually doing any harm.
Chris

Longham 8.15-930am

Quick walk round the little lake this morning - several duck, including 2 pochard.
That's about it.
Chris

Got to visit at dusk.. Not much to see apart from a kingfisher. Didn't walk all the way round as couple with a dog off the lead looked like they would have scared everything. Several lapwings on the island.
There were some lads with a couple of very noisy motorbikes in the horse field by the river. Quite irritating, but not actually doing any harm.
Chris

As I was walking around in the rain early yesterday, thoroughly miserable, I was convinced that as soon as the sun came out lots of interesting birds would suddenly appear. I take consolation that it didn't happen!

Twitching swans

Managed to drag myself in a different direction to Longham today for the whoopers at Upton. Think this pair were my first Dorset whoopers.
First time I'd been that side of the bay too. Looks good.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040323.jpg
    P1040323.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 56
Managed to drag myself in a different direction to Longham today for the whoopers at Upton. Think this pair were my first Dorset whoopers.
Chris

Where abouts were they and have they been hanging around long? If its near Upton Park might be able to persuade the wife and kids.

Where abouts were they and have they been hanging around long? If its near Upton Park might be able to persuade the wife and kids.

They've been there for a couple of days. On Lytchett pool, a flooded field on the north side of Lytchett Bay. Access via Slough Lane, Upton. Grid ref: SY968925
Pretty obvious when you get to the right place. It's a 5 minute drive from the country park.
Chris

ps It occurred to me that you might not see this site. Well worth a regular look.
http://www.dorsetbirdclub.org.uk/Sightings.htm

Chris

This is a really good site. Shaun Robson used to have a place to leave records for the few of us who used to visit regularly. The pools can hold a good selection of waders if visited at high water. Marsh Harrier and Osprey often seen. Really good in the back waters of Lytchett Bay for Avocets if the lagoon on Brownsea freezes.

David, it's at the southern end of Slough Lane, Upton. The other side to the park. I went myself this pm. Nice views of the Whoopers. When the Lane goes to single car width with a no vehicle sign for the right hand road you are there. Gate to your left has RSPB sign on it and no walker symbol. View from the gate. Pools are on the far side of the field. Do check them out if you go. Whoopers are pretty obvious.

Ray

Thanks Scary and Ray

Yes, I did know about the Dorset bird club site but I had to stop looking at it as I became obsessed about chasing all over Dorset to the detriment of my family! I dare not even take a quick peek- no resistance to temptation. :-C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back