• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition for more protections for the UK's raptors. (1 Viewer)

needs a regular update as well so new members can sign up. 12 months is a long time.

Would suggest a weekly update on a Friday once the initial surge has slowed up.

Duly signed, but the annoying thing is that my husband can't register his vote as he has no email address.
It sounds as though they go by email addresses rather than individual signatures!
I'll distribute it to our Friends of Red Kites and ask our chairman if we can put a link on our website!!

An e-petition submitted to Defra was yesterday accepted by the Government and added to the e-Petitions website.

If we can get 100,000 signatures “Vicarious Liability” will be debated in the House of Commons.

I urge you all to sign the petition and to share this information with like minded people who would also support this cause.

I am sure that someone will post something negative about this, but doing nothing is no longer and option or some species. We need to raise the profile of the plight the UK's raptors face in some areas.

Please visit http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Thanks

Thanks June that would be fantastic, The petition needs all the publicity it can get if its going to succeed in getting 100,000 signatures.

Duly signed, but the annoying thing is that my husband can't register his vote as he has no email address.
It sounds as though they go by email addresses rather than individual signatures!
I'll distribute it to our Friends of Red Kites and ask our chairman if we can put a link on our website!!

He could set one up through Hotmail or similar then ignore the account exists

Just a suggestion

Hmm, now there's a thought - i could set up 100,000 e-mail addresses, job done.......

I've signed it. Also put it on Twitter and Facebook so it should get more people signing.

I've resisted opening a facebook account to date as i hate the idea however i can see advantages where this sort of thing is concerned.

Maybe i'll re-think and open one up

I've resisted opening a facebook account to date as i hate the idea however i can see advantages where this sort of thing is concerned.

I haven't got a facebook account either. It's the other half's Facebook account it's gone on ;)

It's true the facebook and twitter response has been amazing, I hope its going to snowball but I guess nothing in life that matters is so easy so any ideas to further the cause will be greatly received.

There is already a concept of “Vicarious Liability” in English common law, what is needed is for a test case to be brought in respect to raptor persecution and for that case to reach such a level where precedents can be set. The police wildlife crime units are not going to do that, they just want an easy prosecution of the junior gamekeeper that actually did the act. Some wildlife organisation needs to bring such as case and have the will and resources to follow it up the appeals chain.

it's already on face book, that is actually where chrissy, the originator, first publicised it, through her owl sanctuary page. though some genious managed to get chris packham to re tweet it on twitter, which has no doubt helped in the publicity department, it's definitely worth anyone who already has a facebook or twitter account sharing it on their page.

i have been posting it daily on the rspb love nature facebook page, and today i saw it get posted by about 4 other people also, all we can do is to keep pushing it, until we achieve the target.

it's already on face book, that is actually where chrissy, the originator, first publicised it, through her owl sanctuary page. though some genious managed to get chris packham to re tweet it on twitter, which has no doubt helped in the publicity department, it's definitely worth anyone who already has a facebook or twitter account sharing it on their page.

i have been posting it daily on the rspb love nature facebook page, and today i saw it get posted by about 4 other people also, all we can do is to keep pushing it, until we achieve the target.

I wouldn't claim to be a genius, but it was nice of Chris to give it a push, 2000 a week is going to be no easy feat but the support being shown in fantastic.

I wouldn't claim to be a genius, but it was nice of Chris to give it a push, 2000 a week is going to be no easy feat but the support being shown in fantastic.

i was actually about to do the same thing with chris, when i saw that it had already been done.

i knew that once he saw it chris would give it a push from the comments he has made before, he's a firm believer that vicarious liability laws are essential in england if persecution is to be stopped

This is a Civil Tort isn't it? Who is the damaged party and who recovers the damages?

Aren't there Criminal Laws in Great Britain that address these actions?

Bob

No, it is not a tort, it is a criminal offence (or range of offences), for which currently the "servant" is prosecuted without causing any real deterrence to the relevant "master" (occupier of the land). As Mono said above, the concept of vicarious liability does exist in English law, but it is very hard to prove to judges' satisfaction. I am not sure this e-petition has its wording right, but the intention is clear enough.

Not sure i agree with this precedent of vicarious liability.Easy to get round for a landowner,does a lot of damage to unions and protest groups and suchlike.

Not sure i agree with this precedent of vicarious liability.Easy to get round for a landowner,does a lot of damage to unions and protest groups and suchlike.

Interesting....how is it easy, ie; what scenario could make it easy for a landowner to get around things if accused under vicarious liability?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back