• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Binoculars - Viking or RSPB (1 Viewer)

Oatcake

My Helios Naturesport (not the BAK4 ones) 10x50 are in need of replacing, but I'm not sure what to go for. At the moment I have it down to:

Viking Navilux 8x42
Viking Vistron 8x42
RSPB WPG 8.5x42

and a slight outsider Vistron 8x50 (but they're much more expensive)

I tried them all out and didn't notice much difference. The RSPB ones did seem a little nicer.

Looking at the specs I can't see what the improvement is that makes the Vistron better than the Navilux or the WPG more expensive than the Vistron.

Thanks for any help.

Cannot recall but isn't it Viking that make the RSPB binoculars?

In effect I suspect they are the same.

If not someone will say.
And I will apologise to Viking.

Yes, Viking make the RSPB binoculars. My question is if someone can explain what the difference is between seemingly similar binoculars. Because if there is something useful in the more expensive pair then I'll buy them, if not I'm not sure what the extra ~£70 gets me.

As an "optics volunteer", for the RSPB (when I can fit it in these days), I get to try these out comprehensively.

I'm tempted to say if you can't see any difference go with the cheapest however IMHO the pick, just of those you've selected would be the 8x42 Vistron. The Navilux lack a bit of contrast and the colours are a bit flat.

The last time I tried the vistron and WPG out with a customer we both agreed the Vistron edged it optically at a distance to the WPG and thats what they bought. OTOH a lot of people like the WPG's...

Hope this helps a bit.

Cannot recall but isn't it Viking that make the RSPB binoculars?

In effect I suspect they are the same.

If not someone will say.
And I will apologise to Viking.

Viking and RSPB seem to use the same OEM (e.g. Xi'an Vision) for some of their bins. I suspect (to maximize profit) they both just buy similar models from the same OEM and have them branded appropriately.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back