• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pallas's Gull breeding in Danube Delta (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Found this pic (with geolocation tag) and web page showing a breeding colony of Pallas's Gulls in the Danube Delta on the Ukrainian side of the border.

A significant extension of the breeding range? They're not mapped there by e.g. Olson's Gulls, nor the Collins Bird Guide.

Not sure whether Himalaya is wishing for hybrid Pallas/Caspians to result (highly unlikely !), or hoping that Pallas's will be more likely to cross over the Channel so giving him/her a potential UK TICK:t:

Ah yes, "crossing over the English Channel with Caspian Gulls".

I had read that as he was hoping for hybrids with 'crossing over' but if he meant crossing the sea that's fine by me!

Brits will often used 'crossed with' to refer to hybrid pairings.

Andy

Last edited:
it's a new formed island exactly on the border between ukraine and romania. they breed there at least since 2008. and they breed on both sides of the border ;)
and it's not the only case in which Olsen's bible is outdated, especially regarding breeding distributions.

it's a new formed island exactly on the border between ukraine and romania. they breed there at least since 2008. and they breed on both sides of the border ;)
and it's not the only case in which Olsen's bible is outdated, especially regarding breeding distributions.

Thanks! Any info on how many pairs there now? And how long till some follow the Caspain Gulls west to Britain . . . 8-P

I did mean crossing over the English channel and not hybridising! Although if they choose to hybridise that is their choice and I will not stand in the way! I think hybrids have been recorded before.

It would be nice to be able to see Pallas, Glaucous and Great Black-backed together in one area. Has anyone ever seen this before?

How often do they occur in countries where they do not breed in Europe?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back