• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Case settings (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
The 7Dmkii has 6 cases settings my question is say for arguments sake I altered the settings in case one to -2,1,2 would it have the same effect as changing the settings in say case three to same.

Cheers Geoff

Isn't it meant to be a dummies guide to setting the best AF combination, you just look at the picture and choose your situation. If you change them all to the same setting, which you can, there would be no difference.
How effective all the different scenarios are is another topic for debate but they need large subjects in the frame to function as intended in my opinion.

I bought a 7D Mark II after owning and using a 1D Mark IV - both for birds and for certain sports, mainly cycling. In my experience, the 1D Mark IV simply works and delivers the goods - with very little meddling by me. My first outings with the 7D Mark II shooting birds also gave good results. Then I tried the 7D Mark II against aspiring cyclists dashing round the centre of Milton Keynes. The results were awful, so I tried the various cases, and eventually found one which gave me good results, but it took time, and I didn't change the settings within the cases. Fortunately, my homework had paid off - when I covered the Tour of Britain two weeks ago, I was pleased with the results.

Generally, I now prefer the 7D Mark II because of its built-in GPS and magnetic compass - with the right software - GeoSetter - I can not only find where I was but also the direction in which I was shooting. Sadly, I have discovered that I frequently lose the GPS signal when I'm in a heritage railway coach - so no accurate location info. I'm disappointed that few DSLRs are as well specified as the 7D Mark II in this respect, and that includes new models.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back