• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding and disease outbreaks (1 Viewer)

trogon52

Madagascar's experiencing an unusual plague outbreak, unlike the usual annual mainly bubonic plague season between Sept. and April. Majority of cases so far are pneumonic plague, the most severe and infectious form. Would appreciate hearing from: a) anyone who has gone birding in places where there were disease outbreaks or concerns; b) any birders in Madagascar now during this outbreak who can provide some insights about the situation there; and c) anyone who has an upcoming trip to Madagascar and willing to share advice, suggestions, on whether to go or not. Thanks!

Other places too -- may be helpful to hear about how birders respond to such situations and what their experiences were, in terms of the birding and other aspects of the trip.

Other places too -- may be helpful to hear about how birders respond to such situations and what their experiences were, in terms of the birding and other aspects of the trip.

We had a notable outbreak of Trichonomoniasis this year in Russia. We had many sick and dying birds, mainly Greenfinches and Siskins. I contacted various agencies but none seemed interested.

We removed and sterilised our feeders as per online advice and will hope for a better year next year.

I've never experienced an outbreak of any kind on a foreign trip in relation to birds.

A

If your concern is your health: I looked at travel advises from 4 foreign affairs offices and WHO. All five tell not to restrict travel to Madagascar but with usual precautions (don't touch dead animals etc).

You can also call your consulate in Madagascar to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back