• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird detector/bat detector (1 Viewer)

sbastas

Hi all,

I am a new member, and as far as I read previous threads, I couldnt see the answer of my question.

I am on a project, automatic bird detection/monitoring system for wind powers.
For birds, I will design a michrophone array. Probably I'll use micro small shotguns for the array.
But the point that I confused is the bat detector part. As I searched online, the best detectors are, Pettersson bat detectors... Birds and bats have different sound freq. ranges. But do you have any ideas that, can I use my microphone array for also bats? In previous projects they used different detectors as I understood.

Thanx

bat vocalisations are in the ultrasonic range, 20kHz to 100kHz, though most useful signals are in the 30kHz to about 60kHz range. Exact details depend on the species expected.

Normal mics just don't go up that far, which is why you have to use different sensors.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back