• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuban lizards (1 Viewer)

John R Taylor

Could someone please help me I.D. the following reptiles.

The photos were taken in May in Cuba

I think no 1 is a Northern Curly Tailed Lizard

no 2 a Green Anole with blue pigmentation

150A NORTHERN CURLY TAILED LIZARD.jpg

151a  GREEN ANOLE.jpg

Many Thanks

JT

I don't know much about Curly tails and there are many species. However, as far as I know the Northern is found on Cuba. I don't think the Anole is Anolis carolinensis, (Green Anole) but a similar species. Will have a search later.

Last edited:
Anole is possibly Anolis porcatus, which is often called Cuban Green Anole.

Hopefully someone with a knowledge of Cuban reptiles will confirm.

having kept Green Anoles for a few years,size and shape looks good for this species - other Cuban sp. are normally bigger, and Knight Anoles are more angular in face shape....

having kept Green Anoles for a few years,size and shape looks good for this species - other Cuban sp. are normally bigger, and Knight Anoles are more angular in face shape....

To my (limited) knowledge, the Green Anole (A. carolinensis) which is the one commonly found in the pet trade, is not found in Cuba. That's why I suggested the similar looking A. porcatus.

I used to keep Green Anoles myself many years back and was always amazed how tame they would become, taking food from my hands etc.

I was out there last year and found the saw-scaled curlytail to be the commonest, though I don't remember it having the bluish spots on the upper lip your lizard does. I photographed some anoles similar to your one - I think Cuban green but will have to check my laptop to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back