• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assistance with basic bird etymology (2 Viewers)

On re-reading this, I actually wonder whether Lichtenstein did not really intend to say that Mehmet Ali Paşa was the father of "Prince" Abdim...?
Was my first thought as well when I read it (but with no solid latin background). Than I read chapter Nachkommen in here and couldn't identify him there in the list (but he had 17 sons and 13 daughters) so it might be that El Arnaut Abdim Beğ is just missing.

I doubt Maria Emilia Anna Köpcke (1924–1971) née Mikulicz-Radecki, (here) is commemorated in any African bird. Is she?!?
--

Yes, I agree and her work is more related to Peru. Her daughter Juliane Köpcke wrote Als ich vom Himmel fiel: Wie mir der Dschungel mein Leben zurückgab about her tragic death and how she (Juliane) survived this air-plain crash in the jungle of Peru.

At least one female ornithologist comes to mind: Marie Koepke (Cacicus koepkeae and Megascops koepkeae ) .
Andy

A second would be Florence Augusta Merriam Bailey in Poecile gambeli baileyae but also not related to Africa. (and I am sure there are more...)

So, for example, I have figured out how to find scientific names that are based on women's names ('fatimalimae')

Not 100% correct. See e.g.

Theo is right about -ae endings; even in classical Latin a substantial minority of the first-declension words (-a, -ae) is actually masculine--including proper names such as Numa or Sulla, that designated men.
Genitives in "-ai", on the other hand, do not exist at all in Latin.

Last edited:
I´m pretty sure he wasn´t missing in that list and I´m pretty sure Mehemed Ali [Muhammad Ali (of Egypt)] wasn´t the father of Mr. Abidin (the so called Abdim Beğ) as the latter was Albanian, El Arnaut means; The Albanian).

I assume patre here does mean Lord/leader/Head.

-----

Last edited:
Wow
Thank you all for the inputs thus far.
Firstly, let me say that the info on the Stanley Crane is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I am looking for, and I will use it for sure. I am grateful for that feedback, which I would simply never have been able to discover here for myself.
As a general reply to various posts:
1. The aims of the book are to assist learners with English (our official language although hardly anyone uses it as a home language); to encourage a reading culture; to supplement the few books for children on Namibian nature specifically; and to spark the interest of children who might wish to go on to study the sciences. All linked to our government's drive to produce educational books with local content and all objectives that will, I hope, encourage a local publishing house to accept the manuscript and/or interest donor organisations who might fund a print run.
2. Each chapter will include a bit of info about a Namibian bird (range, habits, appearance - some rare and some common) and some info about its common name included as a standalone story. Then, because it's likely that the bird will have been named after/by an explorer (male,white, perhaps wealthy) I will include a second section on a bird that's not necessarily African but that was named for a woman scientist (not simply a mistress etc.) or an indigenous collector, or some other representative of a minority group - this is more likely to be by way of the scientific name. Wasn't a bird recently named after Chico Mendes for example? The takeaway being 'Hey, some of these people are like me'.
3. To make the content more diverse I have also included chapters on myths and religion (Goliath heron and argus pheasant) and professions/jobs: bataleur and 'butcher birds'.
4. I did start out with a list of birds I wanted to include but months online have not produced the kind of material I needed (either too scant, or too contradictory) so now I will go with the best stories that this thread produces! The more entertaining, macabre, unexpected the better. The book is for children just leaving primary school and so it needs to be fun but also include actual facts about role models (Dr Salim Ali?).

I hope that background info is useful.

I´m pretty sure he wasn´t missing in that list and I´m pretty sure Mehemed Ali [Muhammad Ali (of Egypt)] wasn´t the father of Mr. Abidin (the so called Abdim Beğ) as the latter was Albanian, El Arnaut means; The Albanian).

I assume patre here does mean Lord/leader/Head.
IIRC (two years ago...), I initially made a similar assumption, based on external evidence that did not suggest at all that this filiation might be real. But, of course, another possibility would be that Lichtenstein (who is only a secondary source here) had been misled to believe that Abdim was Muhammad Ali's son. He might write it, and mean it... but be wrong.
(If the birth dates out there are correct, they are also a bit problematic: Abdim/Abidin is assumed to be born around 1780, when Muhammad Ali (born in 1769) was still a boy. In the literature, Muhammad Ali's four elder sons are quite regularly given an explicit rank of birth: eldest = Ibrahim (born 1789; e.g. [here]); second = Tuzun/Tusun/Tosun (born 1794; e.g. [here]); third = Isma'il (born 1795; e.g. [here]); fourth = Sa'id (born 1822; e.g. [here]); this leaves no room for Abdim...)

IIRC (two years ago...), I initially made a similar assumption, based on external evidence that did not suggest at all that this filiation might be real. But, of course, another possibility would be that Lichtenstein (who is only a secondary source here) had been misled to believe that Abdim was Muhammad Ali's son. He might write it, and mean it... but be wrong.
(If the birth dates out there are correct, they are also a bit problematic: Abdim/Abidin is assumed to be born around 1780, when Muhammad Ali (born in 1769) was still a boy. In the literature, Muhammad Ali's four elder sons are quite regularly given an explicit rank of birth: eldest = Ibrahim (born 1789; e.g. [here]); second = Tuzun/Tusun/Tosun (born 1794; e.g. [here]); third = Isma'il (born 1795; e.g. [here]); fourth = Sa'id (born 1822; e.g. [here]); this leaves no room for Abdim...)

None between 1795 and 1822 for a guy who got lots of kids and lived before much reliable contraception was around? Or do you imply that he had only daughters for all those years?

Niels

If the citation mentioned in German Wiki is correct Afaf Lutfi al-Sayyid Marsot: Egypt in the reign of Muhammad Ali. Cambridge 1984. p. 80 (haven't checked myself) only 7 of his sons and 3 daughters reached the adult age (How ever an adult age may defined). That might be the reason why they are not mentioned in literature and why they are very difficult to research.

Bjorn said that few birds were named for African persons. Here is two birds one named for a fake native woman and one named for a real native man.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=285019&highlight=native+guide .

Klaas's Cuckoo would certainly be one bird I could include in my book and thank you for suggesting this.
Can anyone direct me to an accurate translation online for the relevant text in the Histoire naturelle des oiseaux d'Afrique, Volym 5?. My French is OK but I would prefer not to make any howlers!
And secondly, where could I find some background info about this gentleman, Klaas? Was his real name Niklaas perhaps, or Nicolaas, or was this a nickname given to him by Levaillant? And what happened to him?
Tnx - and keep the suggestions coming in please.

... I did start out with a list of birds I wanted to include but months online have not produced the kind of material I needed (either too scant, or too contradictory) so now I will go with the best stories that this thread produces! ....
I would suggest you do a second try compiling a list of birds you want/hope to write about. With such a list it´ll be far more easier to get a response on what stories are worth telling.

As of now, leaving it open it´s simply too many birds (several hundreds if not thousands) and far too many stories (just about as many) to pick among to have anyone doing it for you. And we don´t know what you find interesting. ;)

Do a list five times longer than what you expect to include in your book, and maybe you will end up with enought "good ones".

I wish I could help you more (being a Author, also of Childrens books, myself) but I´m too busy with my own books.

Good luck!

Björn

PS. See you in other threads! Who knows they might turn out to be what your looking for? One other idea would be to start reading the older posts in this Forum. There´s quite a lot of good stories there.

PPS. "Klaas's" name was neither that, nor "Niklaas perhaps, or Nicolaas". See Post #1, in the link you quoted. His native original name is unknown. He was called "Klaas" simply because Levaillant found his name impossible to articulate.
--

Last edited:
OD refering to here. From what I understand Klaas was a friend of François Levaillant.

Tu fis et tu fus tout enfin, mon ami Klaas, pour un maître qui te chérissoit, qui, plus d'une fois n'a dû son salut qu'à ta vaillance, et à ton atttachement sa persévérance dans les traveaux qu'il avoit entrepris.

Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology as well mention no first name. And The Eponym Dictionary of Birds has not much information either.

PPS. "Klaas's" name was neither that, nor "Niklaas perhaps, or Nicolaas". See Post #1, in the link you quoted. His native original name is unknown. He was called "Klaas" simply because Levaillant found his name impossible to articulate.
--

But here see footnote 95 where it is written:

Der Name Swanepoel und der Bure Klaas Baster begleiten François Levaillant (vgl. Anm. 10) auf seiner Afrikareise.

And see Campsite of Klaas Baster on the border with Namibia. Which lead as well to The Zoological Exploration of Southern Africa 1650-1790.

But here is written:

Die oben genannten Piet und Klaas waren eigentlich Bastarde, von holländischen Colonalisten, von einer Hottentottin geboren, welche Hrn le Vaillant auf seiner Reise durch eben diese Gegenden nützliche Dienste leisteten, auch von ihrem Vater oder iher Geburt wegen den Zunamen Baster führten.

Translation try: The above mentioned Piet and Klaas haven been actually bastards (illegitimate children) from dutch colonists, born by a Hottentot wife, which accompanied Mr. le Vaillant on his voyages and served him well in this area. Their surname Baster may derived from their father or due to the circumstance of their birth (Bastard) .

Last edited:
Well traced and found, Martin! If relevant …

In my MS I have him simply as "Klaas" (he is one of "my guys") as a local (South African/Khoisan) guide, servant, friend, hunter and collector for Levaillant during the 1780's… (and, as earlier concluded, he wasn´t married to Narina). I have no idea of his full or true name neither of what he possibly was (rudely) called, this far, not even sure it´s the same person.

Levaillant's Second voyage dans l'interieur de l'Afrique … (here)
Elle étoit habillée à la hottentotte, et conduite par un homme que je reconnus pour ètre de la horde de Klaas Baster. Dès que le guide m'apperçut, il me montra de la main à la voyageuese. … (p.172)

Il est vrai que ces obstacles m’ayant forcé à revenir sur mes pas, il dut m’en coûter beaucoup moins de ramener le Baster avec moi. …
(p.183)
Il ne me manquoit plus, pour partir content et m’applaudier de mon séjour dans ces montagnes, que d’achever de reconcilier Klaas Baster avec sa familie. … (p.214) …and onwards, on about 30 pp's.
All in French, beyond my grasp ... sorry.
--

Last edited:
"Levaillant's" Klaas (he recurrently calls him "mon Klaas" -- "my Klaas") and Klaas Baster are two distinct persons.
Klaas is present all along the book. The meeting of Levaillant (then accompanied by "his" Klaas) and Klaas Baster is described on p.160:
Enfin, nous arrivâmes au lieu où Jantie avoit vu le troupeau; mais depuis le matin, il s'étoit écarté: nous l'apperçûmes qui passoit au loin sur la croupe d'une colline. J'allois droit aux pâtres, qui nous apprirent, en effet, qu'ils faisoient partie de la horde de Klaas Baster, et l'un d'eux s'offrit à me conduire vers lui.
L'approche d'une troupe comme la mienne, étoit faite pour effaroucher la horde. Je crus, en y arrivant, remarquer quelque mouvement d'inquiétude et de surprise; mais je l'eus bientôt calmée en faisant arrêter tout mon monde, et députant vers elle Klaas avec le pâtre qui nous avoit accompagné. Je les chargeai de dire de ma part à Baster que je lui apportois une lettre du colonel Gordon, notre ami commun; que j'étois, comme lui, un voyageur curieux de visiter le pays.
A ce nom de Gordon, les craintes se dissipèrent; bientôt je vis arriver, avec mon ambassadeur, un mulâtre de très bonne mine, accompagné d'un autre, mais plus petit et de moindre apparence. Le premier étoit Klaas Baster, l'autre se nommoit Piet. Ils étoient frères.
"At last, we reached the place where Jantie had seen the herd; but since the morning it had moved away: we saw it passing in the distance on the ridge of a hill. I went right to the shepherds, who told us, indeed, that they were from the horde of Klaas Baster, and one of them offered to take me to him.
The coming of a company like mine, was made to frighten the horde. I thought, when reaching it, that I noticed some movement of concern and surprise; but I soon had it appeased by making all my people halt, and despatching Klaas to it with the shepherd who had come with us. I charged them to say on my behalf to Baster that I brought him a letter from Colonel Gordon, our mutual friend; that I was, like him, a traveller curious to visit the country.
At that name of Gordon, fears vanished; soon I saw arriving, with my ambassador, a mulatto of very good look, accompanied by another, but smaller and of lesser appearance. The first was Klaas Baster, the other was named Piet. They were brothers."

Last edited:
But in any event, I would be right in thinking that the information from 2009 given on the Bird Stamp Society website:
"Abdim was, it seems, of great assistance to the German naturalist and explorer Wilhelm Rueppell"
has subsequently been found to be incorrect? This was, in fact, the information that first led me to want to include this bird in my book in the first place, in order to be able to focus on the fact that early explorers relied often on local people to make their journeys a success

The hospitable "Albanian" Mr. Abidin was (in spite of being an analfabet) of great assistance to several early explorers of Northeastern Africa, such as Hemprich, Ehrenberg, Rüppell, Hey och Parhey, giving them shelter, protection and advice (on local customs, geography etc. etc).

Just a note: Klaas is a common name in The Netherlands, and as South Africa was a colony of The Netherlands at that time, the usage of Klaas is not surprising.

Hi Justin
Yes, it remains a common enough name here in Namibia also, although usually as a shortened version of Nicklaas I think. Also common enough, still, is the practice whereby people with African names allocate themselves a Western name, too, when their actual names prove difficult for people to say or spell.
On a slightly different matter, does anyone know where I can find an accurate translation of Levaillant's paragraphs describing his relationship with Klaas? This would form the basis of my 'story', really, but my own French is somewhat rusty and Googletranslate isn't up to the task...

The hospitable "Albanian" Mr. Abidin was (in spite of being an analfabet) of great assistance to several early explorers of Northeastern Africa, such as Hemprich, Ehrenberg, Rüppell, Hey och Parhey, giving them shelter, protection and advice (on local customs, geography etc. etc).

Or long version Friedrich Wilhelm Hemprich, Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg, Wilhelm Peter Eduard Simon Rüppell, Michael Hey, Gustav Friedrich Constantin Parthey.

Yokana alt. Yokana's Scrub Warbler & (Blue-throated) Sunbird

"Solifuge", while checking some of the birds collected by the van Someren Brothers I stumbled upon one guy that might be of interest for your book (and a minor addition for James and his HBW Alive Key), commemorated in:

● the invalid "Bradypterus yokanae" VAN SOMEREN 1919 (here) [Junior synonym of White-winged Scrub-Warbler Bradypterus carpalis CHAPIN 1916] a k a "Yokana Scrub Warbler"
This species is named after my faithful and excellent head collector, to whose energy I am indebted for the magnificent collection of E. African and Uganda birds I now possess.
● the subspecies (or species) Kenya (Plain-backed) Sunbird (Euchloridia?) Anthreptes (reichenowi) yokanae VAN SOMEREN 1921 (here) as "Anthreptes yokanæ" a k a "Yokana Sunbird" alt. "Yokana's (Blue-throated) Sunbird" [No dedication, nor explanation … more than: "… on behalf of Dr. V. G. L. van Someren"]

= the Bugandan collector Yokana Kiwanuka (fl. 1946), collector (in Kenya and Uganda) for the van Someren brothers.

Mr. Yokana Kiwanuka retired during the late 1940's, after more than 25 years of collecting service for the van Somerens! No birth year, nor death year found. Maybe the following links; here, here, here, here, here and here (bottom p.10) can help you onwards.

Not to confuse with his brother Yoanna Kiwanuka (who specialized in collecting butterflies) nor with his namesake Yokana Kiwanuka, Gunner, East African Artillery, who died in 1944, in WW2 … Kiwanuka seems to be a pretty common name.

Good luck tracing him!

Björn
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back