• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biar-Woraba (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I know this question does not fit to etymology but some of the expedition members have at least their dedication e.g. erlangeri, hilgerti, neumanni, meneliki, ellenbecki, holtemulleri.

OK. After checking them in the key as well some enhancement:
  • holtemulleri: Johann Michael Holtermüller (1865-1931), cartograph at the Erlanger expedition Abyssinia and before in Tunesia. here
  • ellenbecki: Hans Ellenbeck-Hilden Author of Beobachtungen uber Malaria: Gesammelt auf einer Expedition in Nordost-Afrika 1900-1901 and of course the physician of the expedition.
Note: Could be also that he was from Hilden.

But one question not related to etymology remains . Where is Biar-Woraba in Abyssinia. It should be south of Harar but I failed to find it? Does anyone know the current name of this place?

Last edited:
Or Ije Woraba near to Midagalola according viamichelin. I doubt that there are still ruins. All near the Babile Elephant Sanctuary.

Last edited:
Could be also that Biar Woraba has been disappeared. As you can see on the map the next settlement is Bubassa (or Bubasa) and Harar become a much bigger city than in the past. When you look at Google Earth or Google Maps there is nothing in the south west of Bubasa.

Not my field at all, but simply following ...
Am 23. Mai errichte die Karawane Biar-Woraba im Ennia-Galla-Land. Hier ist der südlische Punkt, den der Reisende Paulitschke seinerzeit errichte. Diese Land ...
(from p.96, previous page, from your link, Martin ;)) ... I guess you ought to check out how far south Philipp Paulitschke (1854–1899) reached in 1885!

Also see here, and here, ... indicating that Melanie was correct in Post #2.
Übersichtskarte von dem Gebiet der Ejssa-Somâl von Hárar und den nördlichen Gallaländern
Description matérielle : 1 carte : en coul. ; 51 x 38 cm
Description : Note : Cartons : "Plan-Skizze von Hárar" à 1:16 000 ; "Plan der Ruinen von Bia Woraba" ; "Die heissen Quellen von Ártu" ; Lac Haramaja. - 9 profils topographiques. - Tracés des principaux itinéraires d'exploration
Coordonnées géographiques : E 41° - E 44° / N 11°30' - N 7°20'
Échelle : 1:1000000
Édition : Gotha : Justus Perthes , 1885
Also see here "Bîa Worâba", centre left, in square; Long. 9-8, Lat. 42-43.

If of any help?

Björn
--

Last edited:
...After checking them in the key as well some enhancement:
  • holtemulleri: Johann Michael Holtermüller (1865-1931), cartograph at the Erlanger expedition Abyssinia and before in Tunesia. here
  • ellenbecki: Hans Ellenbeck-Hilden Author of Beobachtungen uber Malaria: Gesammelt auf einer Expedition in Nordost-Afrika 1900-1901 and of course the physician of the expedition.
Note: Could be also that he was from Hilden.
Martin, watch out, there seems to be two different Dr. Ellenbeck Hilden in that Era (here).

Also see here ("... in Hilden").

If either one of them is connected to Erlanger's expedition in Nordostafrika (1900-1901) is unknown to me.

I think you searched for Hans August Paul Ellenbeck. I excluded him as he was born 1889 and therefore can't be the physician in an expedition starting in 1899 or even earlier 1896 to Tunesia. But I will not exclude that he is related to the Ellenbeck from Afrika as Krefeld is not far from Düsseldorf and Hilden.

I think you searched for Hans August Paul Ellenbeck. I excluded him as he was born 1889 and therefore can't be the physician in an expedition starting in 1899 or even earlier 1896 to Tunesia. ...
Yes, I did search for him, but didn't´t suggest he, in any way, was equal of the Dr. Ellenbeck in question. I excluded him for the same reasons ;)

This far I wouldn't´ dare say more than Dr. Ellenbeck.

This far I wouldn't´ dare say more than Dr. Ellenbeck.

Dr. Hans Ellenbeck here.

The members of the expedition were Baron Carlo von Erlanger, Dr. Hans Ellenbeck as physician, Mr. Johann Holtermuller as cartographer, Mr. Carl Hilgert as taxidermist, and myself.

Anyway a person involved in the expedition to Tunesia was Paul W. H. Spatz (1865–1942) (the H. missing in the key) I have now clue what his middle names have been. But a picture in here p. 102. W. H. was mentioned e.g. here.

Last edited:
Martin, watch out, there seems to be two different Dr. Ellenbeck Hilden in that Era (here).

Meanwhile I am sure (thanks to the archive in Hilden) he was Johannes (Hans) Ellenbeck b. 1. Jul. 1870 in Metzkausen, d. 11. Mar. 1942 in Düsseldorf, physician (pediatrics)

His son Hans-Dieter Ellenbeck (1912-1992) is to find in Wikipedia.

Ellenbeck I (in Björns link) was his elder brother Heinrich Ellenbeck (1864-1945) also physician in Hilden.

@ James if you want to mention the researchers name at the archive I have to ask him for allowance first.

Anyway a person involved in the expedition to Tunesia was Paul W. H. Spatz (1865–1942) (the H. missing in the key) I have now clue what his middle names have been. But a picture in here p. 102. W. H. was mentioned e.g. here.

So the key seems alive as now we can read
Paul Wilhelm Heinrich Spatz (1865-1942) German natural history dealer, oologist, collector in the Sahara and North Africa

I assume the information came somehow from MyHeritage as there is written:

Leopold Martell Spatz ist geboren worden am Tag Monat 1891, zu Paul Wilhelm Heinrich Spatz und Emma Spatz (geb. Driehaus).
Paul ist geboren worden am 30. November 1865, in "Haus Freyimfelde", Halle-Diemitz, Sachsen-Anhalt (D).

But I am a little bit confused about syn. Saxicola rubecula in the key. I assume it is about Pratincola rubetra spatzi. Isn't it than syn. Saxicola rubetra (Whinchat)? Leads me to another possible error in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds as I think Alcedo ispida spatzii Koenig, 1892 here might be correct or a Nomen nudum and Erlangers name is the valid one?

Last edited:
Anyone an answer on....

But I am a little bit confused about syn. Saxicola rubecula in the key. I assume it is about Pratincola rubetra spatzi. Isn't it than syn. Saxicola rubetra (Whinchat)? Leads me to another possible error in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds as I think Alcedo ispida spatzii Koenig, 1892 here might be correct or a Nomen nudum and Erlangers name is the valid one?

The key here claims now:

syn. Saxicola rubetra,

I doubt as well as claimed in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds

He lived in Gabès (Tunisia) (1893–1928) and covered the countries from Tunisia to Gambia.

What did he collect in Gambia? Senegal OK but Gambia?

Of couse less than above The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims on two of them:

Yellow-necked Spurfowl ssp. Pternistis leucoscepus holtemulleri Erlanger, 1904 NCR; NRM
H. Holtemüller (DNF) was a collector and explorer in Abyssinia (Ethiopia) (1903).

Ellenbeck's Honeyguide Prodotiscus zambesiae ellenbecki Erlanger, 1901 [Alt. Green-backed/Slender-billed Honeyguide ssp.]
Black-faced Sandgrouse ssp. Pterocles decoratus ellenbecki Erlanger, 1905
Moorland Francolin ssp. Scleroptila psilolaema ellenbecki Erlanger, 1905 NCR [NUI Scleroptila psilolaema psilolaema]
Dr Hans Ellenbeck (fl.1900) was a German physician and collector who was on Erlanger's (q.v.) expedition to Somalia, Abyssinia (Ethiopia) and Sudan (1900–1901).

But te key is up to date. Take it for what's worth.

Carl Hilgert (1866-1940) German taxidermist, collector in Africa and the Near East (syn. Accipiter ovampensis, syn. Calamonastes simplex, subsp. Colius striatus, syn. Coloeus monedula spermologus, syn. Galerida theklae carolinae, syn. Garrulus glandarius, syn. Lophotis ruficrista, subsp. Nilaus afer, syn. Ochrospiza atrogularis reichenowi, subsp. Rhodophoneus cruentus, syn. Streptopelia capicola somalica, syn. Sylvietta brachyura leucopsis).

From his death record I would write him as Karl. But I haven't seen birth record from Ingelheim. Can't read the fathers and mothers first name (mother Margareta Rockert?)

Attachments

• Hilgert birth.jpg
    Hilgert birth.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back