• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr Monguillot's Greenfinch (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some additional info (and a death year) on the guy commemorated in the eponym ...

monguilloti as in:
• Vietnam Greenfinch (Carduelis) Chloris (spinoides) monguilloti DELACOUR (& LEGENDRE) 1926 (here) as "Hypacanthis monguilloti":
(Named in honour of M. M. Monguillot, General Secretary of Indo-China.)
... which ought to be Monsieur Maurice Monguillot (here), who most likely is equal of the French Colonial administrator Maurice Antoine François Monguillot (18741945), former artillery officer, "inspecteur des colonies" ... later secrétaire général and repeatedly (three times!) interim/acting Governor-General of French Indochina from 1919 until 1928 [1st time: May 1919 to December 1919*, 2nd time: April 1925 to November 1925, 3rd time: January 1928 to August 1928, here alt. here], "Résident supérieur à Hanoï", "gouverneur général honoraire des Colonies", Commandeur de Légion d'Honneur ... etc., etc..

Born 9 August 1874, in Paris ... died 23 June 1945.

More info on him, and his career, see Leonore (Archives nationales France), here.

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Also note that today's HBW Alive Key spell his surname Mont...:
monguilloti
Maurice Antoine François Montguillot (b. 1874) French colonial administrator, Gov.-Gen. of Indochina 1919-1920, 1925, 1927-1928 (Chloris).
Both versions of the Surname is to be found in various sources, but to me it looks like the Monguillot version is the most frequent one used. On my behalf it´s of minor importance ... in my MS he´s only present in the margins, possibly he´ll be left out all together, in the end. But I thought I ought to point it out, as I noticed the different spellings.

Either way I think The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014) is erroneus (once again), but this time only regarding his death year (here). It must be pretty hard to work as Governor-General of French Indochina in 1928 if you´d died in 1926!? ;) How were they thinking!?

Today's updated HBW Alive Key gives us:
monguilloti
Maurice Antoine François Monguillot or Montguillot (1874-1945) French colonial administrator, Acting Gov.-Gen. of Indochina 1919-1920, 1925, 1928, Resident-Superior of Tonkin 1921-1924 (Chloris).
Anyone who have seen a birth certificate; "Born 9 August 1874, in Paris" ... ?

The birth certificate says "Monguillot".
([here]. "Type de document": "Naissances"; "Arrondissement": "09"; "Année": "1874"; "Date de l'acte (jj/mm/aaaa)": "11/08/1874". Click "Rechercher", open the file "5 août 1874 (acte n° 1434)", and go to page 10/31: lower left.)

All the 30 Léonore documents also spell it that way, except #5, which has "Montguillot". But #5 is just a note written by some civil servant, announcing the transmission of a declaration of loss of another document; not really an 'official' document, thus. On the declaration itself (which is #6), the name is spelt "Monguillot" again.
I can't see a 't' in the middle of any of his signatures there either.

(Many French names (toponyms or personal names derived from them) are formed by the contraction of 'Mont' (= mount), and some other word (Montmartre, Montjoie, etc.), so that it would be quite easy to add a 't' by mistake in a name that lacks it. These names are pronounced as if they were still two words, i.e., unless the second 'word' starts with a vowel, the 't' at the end of the first 'word' is completely mute. You would not hear any difference between "Monguillot" and "Montguillot".)

Last edited:
Excellent Laurent! :t: Quick and clear, as usual.

Thereby Monguillot it was, is and will stay!
--

Attachments

• Monguillot.jpg
    Monguillot.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back