• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (43 Viewers)

More birds around than I was expecting this morning. Highlights were Common Gull, 3 Shelduck, 1 Little Egret, 2 Gadwall and a Jay.

Also saw Little Grebe attempting to eat a Perch that eventually proved too hard to swallow, and noted that at least one Golden Pheasant is still at large.

Attachments

• Common Gull record.jpg
    Common Gull record.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Little Grebe and Perch.jpg
    Little Grebe and Perch.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Golden Pheasant.jpg
    Golden Pheasant.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 81
Whilst with Dad at the Moors I noted down 4 Mute Swan rings: (all Orange) 74R, 88S, 36N and 58R. I don't know how to access ring data, but thought it might be worth sharing.

Can't add much more to Dave's and John's sightings.
Moors: a narrow strip 15 metres wide on the whole of the east side was the only open water. There were good numbers of waterfowl considering.
Little grebe 3. little egret 2.
Shoveler 49. teal. 65. Shelduck 3. pochard 3. coot 114.
Snipe 18 on south bank of scrape.

Flashes : Totally frozen. lapwing 550. a flock of large gulls circled and dropped low, but the sight of the ice probably forced them north. the BHGs stood on the ice and later moved to the sailing pool to roost.

Tuesday work party

Again we will working in and around the East Marsh at Moors.
Work includes.
Dead hedging.
tweaking new view point.
work in secret garden and swampy bottom.

Cold...foggy...early-ish...

Moors 0745-1200 (75% frozen)

BH Gull (c75)
Canada Goose (85)
Coot (100+)
Gadwall (2m, 1f)
Green Woodpecker (1)
Herring Gull (2)
LBB Gull (2 adult, 1 juv)
Curlew (14)
Little Egret (1)
Pochard (7)
Shelduck (4)
Shoveler (35)
Snipe (14)
Song Thrush (2)
Teal (25)
Tufted (12)

Flashes 1230-1600 (1st/2nd flash 30% frozen, 3rd flash 100% frozen)

JAY (1)
GOLDEN PLOVER (1)...Initially reported from a morning sighting in with flock of Lapwings. In the afternoon all Lapwings (est. 500+) were in field to north of flashes but eventually the Goldie was spotted in flight with 20 lapwings. On the ground it blended with the mud and was difficult to spot. Waited until 1600 in the hope that the birds would come back to roost...but they stayed in the field...might be worth checking flashes in morning

Pics...Pheasant which flew from broadmeadow to front of East hide...and an early inspection by blue tit...

Attachments

• 20170123_190735.jpg
    20170123_190735.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170123_190705.jpg
    20170123_190705.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Afternoon visit to The Moors

I visited the Moors this afternoon, arriving around 3pm. As I walked past Lifestyles, an escapee golden pheasant was outside the cage looking in on its old friends, so I couldn't resist a photo with my mobile. See attached.
At the East Hide, I saw a little egret and grey heron. A flock of 11 curlew soon flew in and landed on Shingle Island, increasing to 13 by the end of the afternoon. Temperatures were around seven degrees and there was no wind.
A pochard was asleep on Shingle Island - I understand from Andy Ambrose that the same bird had been there since 7.45am this morning.
Other birds spotted included grey wagtail, shoveller and shelduck.
There was a lovely sunset and with the disappearance of the sun I noticed that all the gulls had vanished, presumably gone to roost over at The Flashes.
A little flock of teal arrived around 4.40pm and there was a movement of the coots and ducks from the rest of the water towards Pool island and beyond. This included some tufted duck and five more pochard.
A little grebe was another late arrival in The Hook area.
In the rapidly fading light, I scoured the area for snipe - there may have been one, but that was all and my sighting of it was so poor that I couldn't be absolutely certain.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 80
I visited the Moors this afternoon, arriving around 3pm. As I walked past Lifestyles, an escapee golden pheasant was outside the cage looking in on its old friends, so I couldn't resist a photo with my mobile. See attached.
At the East Hide, I saw a little egret and grey heron. A flock of 11 curlew soon flew in and landed on Shingle Island, increasing to 13 by the end of the afternoon. Temperatures were around seven degrees and there was no wind.
A pochard was asleep on Shingle Island - I understand from Andy Ambrose that the same bird had been there since 7.45am this morning.
Other birds spotted included grey wagtail, shoveller and shelduck.
There was a lovely sunset and with the disappearance of the sun I noticed that all the gulls had vanished, presumably gone to roost over at The Flashes.
A little flock of teal arrived around 4.40pm and there was a movement of the coots and ducks from the rest of the water towards Pool island and beyond. This included some tufted duck and five more pochard.
A little grebe was another late arrival in The Hook area.
In the rapidly fading light, I scoured the area for snipe - there may have been one, but that was all and my sighting of it was so poor that I couldn't be absolutely certain.

Get Winterwatch etc to round up the strays.....seem good at catching wild birds...lol

First thing this morning.

Here's a panorama pic from first thing this morning and look at what you missed! Freezing feet and hands plus fog and a frozen pool made for less than ideal conditions but nearly all the birds were right in front of the hide. Perfect!:t::t:

Attachments

• uw2.jpg
    uw2.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
work party Today

Today 15 of us continued the rejuvenation of the East Marsh. Also we removed several fallen trees across the River Salwarp. These were being used as bridges by the local kids to gain access to the reserve.

The main tasks in the Eadt Marsh today were.
1.Dead hedging a section of the East Marsh border from the east gate along the track towards Lifestyles. Well done to Dave H and the team .

2. Cutting back the fallen willows along the NE shoreline. The brash was utilised in the screened approach to the new viewpoint. The smaller pieces were burned to stop willows from re-rooting.

Thanks crew Bob O. Bobby P. Charles. Dave H. Graham L. Janet H. Jim B. John C. Keith M. Paul M. Ray C. Roger. Terry W. Tony B and me.

Pics
1. the east gate dead hedge before work and 2 afterwork.
3 shows the large willow clump that had toppled last year viewed from the new viewpoint. 4 shows it after all the trunks and stems have been cut off. After the clump had been removed the trees root ball righted itself.

Attachments

• 1. B4 wrk party east gate DSCF8279.jpg
    1. B4 wrk party east gate DSCF8279.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 2. after wrk east gate hedge DSCF8286.jpg
    2. after wrk east gate hedge DSCF8286.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 3. before work on fallen willow DSCF8218.jpg
    3. before work on fallen willow DSCF8218.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 4.after cutting willow that was upturned east marsh Moors DSCF8282.jpg
    4.after cutting willow that was upturned east marsh Moors DSCF8282.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Moors today

Due to the Flashes reportedly being frozen I stayed on the Moors all day.
Before the work party with only 50 metres of visibility it was difficult to do a thorough count . Notable was 3 singing song thrushes and my first wigeon of the year

After the work the sun came out and all was clear. Although the Moors pool was still 90% frozen. Strangely though the season pool ice had melted and became a focal point for geese and dabblers to feed in.
As the temperature rose more snipe appeared probing on all the Scrape's grassy banks. A decent flock of fieldfare came into roost and 300 BHG pre-roosted on the ice.

Species Count Moors:
Little grebe 4. Little egret 2. Shoveler 43. Teal 75. Gadwall 7. wigeon fem. Shelduck 4 (2 Prs). Tufted 20. pochard 3 (2 males). coot 115. water rail 2. Greylag 54.
Curlew 13. snipe 30. lapwing c50.
Green woodpecker.
Song thrush 3. Fieldfare 70. grey wag.
lesser redpoll 5. Cetti's Warbler singing

Last edited:
Today's highlights: 90% frozen decreasing to 70%

MOORS:
Curlew (13)----------------Snipe (11)
Lapwing (c300) over------Shelduck (4)
Pochard (1)----------------Gadwall (10)
Teal (48)-------------------Shoveler (49)
Tufted Duck (31)----------Little Grebe (3)
LittleEgret (3)-------------Cormorant (7)
Mute Swan (1)------------Coot (102)
B H Gull (110)------------Kingfisher
Collared Dove (2)---------Kestrel
Herring Gull (2)-----------Coal Tit
Cetti's Warbler------------Water Rail (2)

FLASHES: 100% frozen.

SAILING POOL: 90% frozen.
Tufted Duck (12)

+ attached shows easy access to the reserve from the river behind the seasonal pool.

Treecreeper, Nuthatch and a mixed flock of winter thrushes (c 60) in an area behind the Moors.

Des.

Attachments

• P1140489 (1280x960).jpg
    P1140489 (1280x960).jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back