• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conservation in the Trumpocene (1 Viewer)

...and put a moratorium on international abortion funding.

As far as I know, none of the funded agency's across the world practice abortion. What they do provide is advice and contraception. Without that advice and contraception there will most likely be more abortions.

regards
Paul

Yep, by all means, let's keep loading that oil in rail cars and supertankers en-route from the Saudis. Nothing could go wrong with those options. *rolleyes*
Major Obama donor and pal, billionaire Warren Buffet OWNS most of those rail cars. It's a huge reason that O bailed on the KP even after his own administration sang the environmental praises of the project early on.

That is a fact. Take a moment and actually do some objective homework and you'll see that.

Last edited:
What a god unholy mess .... though I'm pretty sure they didn't just start digging this up a mere 10 days ago ..... (Canadian tar sands in pictures) http://www.businessinsider.com.au/keystone-xl-canada-oil-sands-photos-2017-1?r=US&IR=T

That amount of oil, even if it is very inefficient (process-wise, economically, and in terms of emissions) to extract, is worth of the order of the US debt, so pipeline, or not - nobody's walking away from that investment and profit any time soon.

Not including the build impacts, or the lost substitute investment of the ~$13 Bil. , does anyone have some reasoned data on the efficiency (in terms of environmental impacts, risks, emissions, etc) of the pipeline vs current transport methods?

Chosun :gh:

There's a fascinating article in the Sunday Times (largely right-wing & more liberal than the Times itself) today about the preconditions Trump's team want in place before his official visit to UK.

These are direct quotes from the article:

"Members of Trump’s inner circle have warned officials and ministers that it would be counterproductive for Charles to “lecture” Trump on green issues and that he will 'erupt' if pushed. They want the younger princes, William and Harry, to greet the president instead. Royal aides insist that he should meet Trump." (My bold)

"Trump’s team is also concerned that he will face a wave of protests, with thousands of people taking to the streets to denounce him.

Trump has repeatedly branded climate change 'a hoax' and a 'money-making industry', saying it was 'created by and for the Chinese' to damage American manufacturing.

Hours after he took office, references to climate change were removed from the White House website. By contrast, Prince Charles has been an environmental campaigner for more than 40 years and has described climate change as 'the wolf at the door'.

Trump wants to abandon the international deal to tackle climate change that was agreed at a summit in Paris in December 2015. Charles delivered a keynote speech at that meeting.

A source close to Trump said: 'He won’t put up with being lectured by anyone, even a member of the royal family. Frankly, they should think twice about putting him and Prince Charles in the same room together.' (My bold)

A senior government source familiar with the discussions said: “Trump’s people are worried about an awkward moment, with Charles saying ‘Why don’t you believe in climate change?’ or ‘Have you read my book?’ They will react quite strongly to that.

They do not want the president to be put in an awkward position where he’s being lectured. They want horses down the Mall, tea with William and Kate. They want all that pomp and for it to go seamlessly, and one of the risk factors is Charles.

Their paranoia of the (US) media means that anything that goes slightly off-pitch will be hammered back home as him not getting a good reception from the future king of England and thousands of people protesting on the streets.'

"Plans being drawn up by the royal household and the Foreign Office would see Trump take tea with Charles after an audience with the Queen in the first week of June. He is also expected to attend a state banquet at Buckingham Palace."

"A royal source said: 'State visits usually have a moment where the prince and the Duchess of Cornwall attend a lunch hosted by the Queen for the incoming head of state. The prince is very relaxed about having his own meeting with President Trump. We stand ready to follow that format'."

"A second royal source made it clear that Charles would raise the subject of climate change. It would be odd for the prince not to raise climate change but he is more likely to say ‘We must touch upon this elephant in the room’ at the end of any meeting, rather than make it a key area of discussion."

"Trump’s state visit has also sparked concerns that the president will betray the confidence of the Queen and tweet about their exchanges.

Tensions between Trump and the royals could be heightened by a series of off-colour comments the billionaire once made about Diana, Princess of Wales and the Duchess of Cambridge.

Asked by the radio shock jock Howard Stern whether he could have 'nailed' Diana, Trump replied: 'I think I could have.'

You need to register for the full article: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/trump-and-charles-in-climate-row-d2qwb7962

It does seem as if Buckingham Palace been reading the runes accurately, at the opposite end of the scale from 'Fake News'
MJB;)

It does seem as if Buckingham Palace been reading the runes accurately, at the opposite end of the scale from 'Fake News'
MJB;)

Not too surprising: I doubt if anyone in the USA apart from Gary Gygax could read runes accurately, be they Quenya, Sindarin or the dwarf-tongue that they teach to no-one.

The only runes Trump would understand would be:

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

John

Not too surprising: I doubt if anyone in the USA apart from Gary Gygax could read runes accurately, be they Quenya, Sindarin or the dwarf-tongue that they teach to no-one.

The only runes Trump would understand would be:

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

John

Is that in anapest or dactyl?;););)
MJB

All aspects of science, from ecology to biology to physics to medicine, rely on data collection to support evidence-based advice and recommendations for policy-makers. Read what is being proposed in a bill that has been passed by congress and is now on is way to the Senate. Essentially, a central plank of the bill is to do away with evidence-based regulations in favour of lawmakers' opinions on the day. The attached article is taken from New Scientist issue 3108 dated 11 January 2017. It's one of the many reasons that scientist and teachers are planning a large protest later this year in the US.:C:C:C
MJB

Attachments

• US Congress just made it easier to ditch science for politics _ New Scientist.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Interesting article here, one that on this partisan forum will be lambasted for it's sourcing rather than it's content.
Unlikely that the NYT, the Atlantic, Huff Po or other 'journalistic' AGW lapdogs will opine on the sheer irony...hypocrites.

The Dakota pipeline protester camps are a massive environmental garbage disaster...why am I not personally surprised?
This was about political expediency and power, not the environment.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/1/dakota-access-protesters-accused-of-destroying-env/

Interesting article here, one that on this partisan forum will be lambasted for it's sourcing rather than it's content.
Unlikely that the NYT, the Atlantic, Huff Po or other 'journalistic' AGW lapdogs will opine on the sheer irony...hypocrites.

The Dakota pipeline protester camps are a massive environmental garbage disaster...why am I not personally surprised?
This was about political expediency and power, not the environment.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/1/dakota-access-protesters-accused-of-destroying-env/

"Hypocrisy"' the mother of all sins! Still whistling the same stupid old tune, I see.

And you are quite right to be ashamed of your source.

Talk about trashing the environment!
http://www.theonion.com/article/white-house-staff-reminded-place-lids-firmly-trash-55168

Last edited:
"Hypocrisy"' the mother of all sins! Still whistling the same stupid old tune, I see.

And you are quite right to be ashamed of your source.

Talk about trashing the environment!
http://www.theonion.com/article/white-house-staff-reminded-place-lids-firmly-trash-55168

And you're dancing to it, right on cue. It's stupid because it's an inconvenient truth for you.

And..."the Onion?"..a satire site? C'mon...
You used to actually mount a semi-real fight, fugl. Now it's a last-gasp, weak affair.

Last edited:
And you're dancing to it, right on cue. It's stupid because it's an inconvenient truth for you.

And..."the Onion?"..a satire site? C'mon...
You used to actually mount a semi-real fight, fugl. Now it's a last-gasp, weak affair.

The Onion satirical? Surely not. . ..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back