• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter adjustment better focus (1 Viewer)

I've been disappointed lately in the number of out of focus shots I've been getting that I thought were dead on focus. I decided to make a diopter adjustment today, as I had read that it was important that this be set correctly when using manual focus. What a difference! I probably doubled my number of keepers after the adjustment. Might be worth checking if you're having problems like I was. This Carolina Wren was taken today at around 20 feet with the Celestron 80ED refractor and a Nikon D40 at ISO800.

Attachments

• carolina_097_02.jpg
    carolina_097_02.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 150
Just went down to Nikon today and bought my correction eyepiece (-4) for USD $12. Hope it works!

tbc

I would say its crucial, I shoot with glasses or contact lenses and I set the diopter at home before going out - use a sharp 50mm lens,AF on a book about 2 feet away andadjust diopter till its sharpest for me - set for the day

I would say its crucial, I shoot with glasses or contact lenses and I set the diopter at home before going out - use a sharp 50mm lens,AF on a book about 2 feet away andadjust diopter till its sharpest for me - set for the day

I set mine and never bother with it for a long time. About time I do it more often, at least to verify that it stays sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back