• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Mirrorless cameras (1 Viewer)

Malc,
You summarized how I feel about the V1 nicely. Particularly where stealth and fast shutter speeds are important it can't be beat.

"....the fact that you can't move the focus spot is less of a problem, although it would be nice to be able to sometimes."
This problem is handled in the AF settings. Go to AF AREA MODE and select SINGLE POINT. Then when you press the OK button the AF square is highlighted with directional arrows and you can move it around the screen.
Neil.

Isn't that only available with a Nikon 1 lens attached - cant find it with a DX lens on.

Cheers.

Have been using the V1 now for a couple of weeks, I have posted some comparison shots (D7000 versus V1 with the 300mm f2.8 VR lens and 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TCs) up to my flickr collections, V1 Versus D7000 set.

I find the best method for me is to use manual exposure mode so I can control both aperture and shutter speed and let ISO float between 100 and 800, as if I use aperture mode I cant get fast enough shutter speed as auto 100-800 tends to go for the lowest ISO.

3 things I would like to see on this camera is ability to control ISO by a function button or the wheel, ISO increments of thirds and ability to move the focus point. I have a couple of sites working on hack firmware where these have been suggested and will be keeping an eye on this.

http://simeonpilgrim.com/blog/
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/...1-d4-d800-and-nikon-tool-development-topic/p1

Nikon appears to agree with me that the V1 is not worth what I paid for it less than a year ago. Adorama (US online site) is selling the V1 (with 10 - 30 lens) for $379. You need to link through a site like 1001 Noisy Cameras or Ken Rockwell to get that price (it needs a coupon code). I'm not sure I'd recommend the V1 even at this price. I do appreciate that several of you have done nice work with the V1, and I do think the format has possibilities. But I also think the V1 is the most flawed of the 25+ digital cameras (yikes!) that I've bought over the years. I wonder if there will ever be a V2?

Nikon rumours suggesting either Nikon are having trouble selling the new format or V2 is in the wings, not a good time to buy a V1 or is it???

Nikon appears to agree with me that the V1 is not worth what I paid for it less than a year ago. Adorama (US online site) is selling the V1 (with 10 - 30 lens) for $379. You need to link through a site like 1001 Noisy Cameras or Ken Rockwell to get that price (it needs a coupon code). I'm not sure I'd recommend the V1 even at this price. I do appreciate that several of you have done nice work with the V1, and I do think the format has possibilities. But I also think the V1 is the most flawed of the 25+ digital cameras (yikes!) that I've bought over the years. I wonder if there will ever be a V2?

At that price I am very tempted to buy one as I have been enjoying digiscoping with my J1 but that has developed a fault and is now heading back to Nikon. I wonder how much the lens woud sell for on eBay...

Looking at getting a V1, do the 55-300mm f4 DX lens and the 70-300 f4 lens have different magnification? The information on Wex photographic suggests this due to the different formats. "It offers a 4.3x zoom with a range of 70-300mm (105-450mm on a DX Nikon D-SLR)"
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
in effect there is a 2.7 crop in the camera-so multiply your
focal lengths by that ie the 70-300 becomes the equivalent
of a super 189-810 zoom!
However , to attach them you will have to by the FT1 adapter
that costs around £220.
despite what some folks say it is possible to get very good results
with this camera and it certainly can be purchased for a very low
price at the moment-however I think you should wait and see what
the soon to be released V2 has to offer-its possible there will be some very
cheap V1's on ebay!
Good luck,
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back