• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 300/2.8 or Sigma 120-300, and TCs (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

I had just about made my mind up on the Sigma (ca. US$2,000 in near perfect condition) and the Sigma TCs (x1.4 and 2.0) when I started reading about the 300s.

I can't afford a 300 VR II though a VR I at about US$3,000 would be within reach. However as the previous versions seem to be just as sharp and most of my shooting is on a monopod at 1/500 - 1/2000 then the VR doesn't seem to be of that much benefit (I currently use a VR-free Sigma 500mm and I'm pretty comfortable with that).

Any views, opinions on the use of any versions of the 300, or the 120-300, with TCs would be highly valued as these lenses will rarely be used without them. Thank you !

I use a 300VR I often together with the 1.4 or the 2.0 TC and most of the time I'm happy with the result. I also use tripod a lot and then I usually turn off the VR. Have a look at the pics in my gallery or my Pbase site.

Unless you need the zoom go for the Nikon VR1. I have owned both and found the latter much easier to handle. I posted my opinion on a similar thread yesterday..

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=246613

Nothing technical just my opinion.

Cheers

Thank you David.

I checked out your gallery and shots like the Red-and-yellow Barbet are excellent (lots of feather detail) whereas the eagle (taken at 15m) was a little soft (over-excited perhaps) !

Currently I'm using a Sigma 500mm (3.1kgs) on a D800 and can hand-hold that when necessary but usually it is on a gimbal/monopod combo which works well.

I was looking for a little more flexibility as I am off to NZ next month for 5 weeks and will include whales and dolphins as well as birds, so the 120-300 + TCs looked like it ticked a lot of boxes if the IQ is there .... but I would like to see at the very least the same IQ as my 500mm, if not a slight improvement. Hence my thoughts re. a 300/2.8 in it's stead.

Since you already have a 500, I would think that a 300 f/2.8 would be a great addition to your kit. If you can find a VR I in your price range, go for it. For traveling, you might also consider the 300 f/4, which is a pretty nice lens, and, while I haven't seen any images from a D800 and 300 f/4, I'd guess it works great. Takes the 1.4 TC well, also.

regards, and have a great time in NZ. You're going to enjoy it,

Jim

I use a 300VR I often together with the 1.4 or the 2.0 TC and most of the time I'm happy with the result. I also use tripod a lot and then I usually turn off the VR. Have a look at the pics in my gallery or my Pbase site.

Thanks Tombac - some lovely shots in your gallery !

Since you already have a 500, I would think that a 300 f/2.8 would be a great addition to your kit. If you can find a VR I in your price range, go for it. For traveling, you might also consider the 300 f/4, which is a pretty nice lens, and, while I haven't seen any images from a D800 and 300 f/4, I'd guess it works great. Takes the 1.4 TC well, also.

regards, and have a great time in NZ. You're going to enjoy it,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm still torn between the 300 and 120-300. The 500 was mentally packed up and ready to go however I'll get one of those other lenses in the next week or two and then it may be a tougher decision if the IQ is as good as the Sigma 500mm. More flexibility whilst touring NZ. Decisions, decisions ....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back