• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 10X30 (1 Viewer)

Tvc15_2000

***I need to use these outdoors under several different conditions before I come to any conclusions.

Quick note - Received a pair of Nikon 10X30 Monarch 7 today. All indoor viewing and out the widow viewing on a foggy day.

Sorry this is not the $400 binocular that performs like a $2000 binocular that we are waiting for. I can’t wait to actually get a nice day outside to see if the ED in action.

Nikon 10X30 - Nicely made. It’s a very well built binocular. No fit and finish problems on this binocular. It is what you would expect from a reputable name in optics. Nice skin, nice design (I do not prefer open bridge bins) –Bin alone weighs 1 pound 1 ounce. I see no barrel distortion scanning the he landscape.

Focus speed makes me pleased. Not too fast not to slow. Case is a common sense Nylon padded flip top with a Velcro closure. Case is an appropriate size for the binocular – a slightly loose fit (that’s good no struggle to get it in or out). Thank god Nikon did not put a zipper on the case. Nikon has chosen to stick with what works. Bin fits in the case with eye cups up or down. Case has a belt loop if you prefer to use that.

Objective covers press-fit into the front. Reasonable plastic one piece ocular cover. Strap is nylon with a neoprene neck cushion.

Good feel in my hands. I like the spin up eye cups with slight bumps for various positions.
I am comparing it to a few bins indoors this evening reading small print at an indoor distance with indoor lighting.

Leica Ultravid 10X42 (ED glass) – It does not get any better than this (to my eyes)

Leica 10X32 Ultravid HD (ED glass) I find myself loving this binocular. Superior binocular nice compact size built like a truck and only weighs 9 ounces more than the Nikon 10x30.
Like many outstanding products the focus engineering alone will make these a collectable when compared to the other Uber offerings. Don’t listen to the bloviator's. If you want quality – you will find it here.

Leica 10X25 Superior –A good investment for me. They increased 25% In retail price since I have owned them. Priceless in the usability factor. I have searched for a better binocular in this size at any price and have not found one yet. Slightly less bright than the Nikon
10x30 as you would expect of course.

Nikon LXL Premier 10X25 Superior and not as bright as the 10x30

Pentax DCF ED 8X43 (ED glass)

Nikon 10X30 good value for the money of you don’t want to spend the extra for the above.

Pentax DCF LV 9X28 not as bright or as nice a view as the Nikon 10X30 – but half the price. Not as bright or sharp as any of the above – but a good beginner binocular that is plenty rugged.

Heavy fog today in with rain and snow predicted until next week (no problem - the bins are waterproof) - but no sun. So I won’t have a chance to take advantage of the winter low sun angles that cause so much problems in back light situations. My decision to keep or return the Nikon 10X30 depends a great deal on how this binocular performs in back light situations. If the Nikon 10X30 it is not up to my back lighting standards - I will return it. I have been spoiled by the Leica HDs and even the 10X25 Leica does a good job in backlight situations. I just hate to miss a bird due to back lighting.

From what I am seeing INDOORS so far the 10X30 Nikon Monarch 7 won’t hold back anyone from beginner to intermediate/advanced birder. ***I need to use these outdoors under several different conditions before I come to any conclusions.

Cosmo

To sum it up I am keeping the Nikon 10X30 Monarch 7

Had them out early this morning. Low sun filters through light clouds. Good enough lighting conditions to check them out in back light conditions.

In the field they perform well. Some back light problems but it was acceptable for my use.

Focus is a tad quicker than my Leicas. I had to focus a bit more delicately to squeeze the sharpness out of them. Not a problem. They feel great in my hands.
Good job on the rubber skin. Well shaped and textured.

I substituted a much smaller neck strap to make the whole package smaller and lighter.

I plan to use these in conditions I would not take my better bins into. For instance kayaking or a sand storm etc.

For the price I got what I expected. ED glass is a plus. Excellent construction form an experienced binocular make with a good warranty.

Interesting stuff. I had a chance to have a look through the 10x30 and the 8x30 last Friday, and I thought both were pretty good. Problems with glare, no doubt, including veiling glare, but not too bad. Very light, that's a definite advantage. I'm not so sure about the body though, no idea if it will stand up to rough use.

I could imagine getting one of those as a carry-anywhere pair. Especially the 8x30 with its 3.75mm exit pupil works better for me than any 8x20.

Hermann

I had them out again today for a few hours.

I am of course spoiled by my Leicas. What I noticed today was and I have no way to verify this. checking back lit situations caused some of the lower portion of the view to have an internal reflection that followed the curve of the outer diameter of the glass.

I could tolerate it - I have seen worse. My point is I am wondering if Nikon used the black paint around the outside of the lenses to prevent something like this.

The sub freezing temps did increase friction when focusing. Another thing I do not experience on the Leicas.

I have not changed my opinion - I got what I paid for.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back