• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackout in the SE models. (1 Viewer)

Hello Bob and Brock,

Even if MOLCET method worked, I found that have a special method of using one binocular to be unacceptable. I simply found the 8x32 SE to be unfriendly. The idea that I have to "fix" a binocular by adding "O" rings, simply reinforces the concept that the binocular is at fault.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

At first, I found the SE to be friendly, in fact, we became best friends. But then I bought a new pair of eyecups, and for the first time experienced the infamous blackouts, and just like that my best friend turned on me.

"Hey, you, get your big nose out of my eyecups!" it exclaimed.

And also, "You're squeezing me too tight, wadda think I'm a lemon or somethin'?"

But the eyecups are getting a bit flared now from digging my nose in between them, so the blackouts have become less of a problem, and I don't have to squeeze the binoculars so hard, so the SE and I have reached a detente.

And who knows?....

SE, I think this is the start of....

<B>

Last edited:
My favorite Clint-Squint scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPVH7rxl6So
Seems contagious.

brocknroller; 'squint' was simply the term Bushnell used for 'blackouts', or the
phenomenon where the view suddenly gets truncated or goes dark out
due to eye position. They actually had "Squint-Proof" marked on the front ring.

The term 'squint-proof' didn't seem to catch on generally, but you can still hold your
eyes far away or off to the side a bit with Customs and actually see an image in
focus. It's immediately clear something is very different at the oculars of a Custom.
Some ultra-wides also have this propoerty. On the Sears Discoverer 7x35 extra-wide
you can see a small part of the field, in good focus up to 10 inches away from the
oculars, and the view simply gets gradually bigger as you bring the binoculars toward the
eyes. Technically speaking, the eyepieces have removed almost all the
divergence of the rays past the plane where they form the image.

There is a price to be paid: the Discoverer's have a slight "fuzzy donut" effect (a term
someone here coined for infocus-then-out-a--bit-then-sharp-at-the-edge), and the old
6x25 Customs have a fading of focus near the edge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back