• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto MVH 500AH vs 701 HDV? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hi all
I am new to the forum.
I own a Nikon Fieldscope Ed 82 A on a Velbon GEO N 630 carbon tripod (both recently secondhand purchased). The fluid head is the Manfrotto 701 HDV since 2009. This gear works fine, but the newer Manfrotto MVH500AH might be of interest to me for even better stability.
Does anyone have experience with this and have directly compared with the older 701 HDV?
I wonder if the new model is really worth to be purchased

Thank you,

Greetings

Luca

Hi Luca, Welcome to BirdForum!

I don't have either one of these [701HFV or the MVH 500AH] but I do have the older 501 and it works great for me even with this on it.Orion 100ED. I would think someone can answer you here. I do have the 60ED Fieldscope and used it on this mount, I am sure the 82mm Fieldscope would work great on the 500 AH.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=497269&d=1400283439

This head is a little much for this scope though.;)

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=496575&d=1399917642

Last edited:
Steve
thanks for your post and your attached images as well. A friend of mine owns a Manfrotto 501 fluid head for his heavy camcorder but this seems a bit too oversized to my current tripod-head combo.
Best regards
Luca

Luca,

I have tried out the MVH 500AH pretty thoroughly with a Swarovski ATX95 scope, and found the stability to be excellent. I haven't tried the 701 in the field the same way, but am pretty sure the 500 will be considerably more stable with only little added weight. However, I ended up choosing the Sirui VH-10 over the 500 to replace my old and trusty Gitzo 2380, since it is even more solid, has better handling characteristics and is another 50 g lighter despite being entirely machined out of aluminum.

But, yes, the MVH 500AH should work fine with your Nikon, an excellent scope.

Kimmo

Luca,

I have tried out the MVH 500AH pretty thoroughly with a Swarovski ATX95 scope, and found the stability to be excellent. I haven't tried the 701 in the field the same way, but am pretty sure the 500 will be considerably more stable with only little added weight. However, I ended up choosing the Sirui VH-10 over the 500 to replace my old and trusty Gitzo 2380, since it is even more solid, has better handling characteristics and is another 50 g lighter despite being entirely machined out of aluminum.

But, yes, the MVH 500AH should work fine with your Nikon, an excellent scope.

Kimmo
Kimmo

thank you for your valued and interesting post. I hope to have the opportunity to test the MVH 500AH and compare it, in Italy Manfrotto is a widespread brand, but to date I failed to find a birder at my raptor migration site who had it...being still a relatively new product.

Luca

Luca,

I have recently purchased the Manfrotto MVH500AH, and I'm very pleased with it, very smooth action, it replaced my 128rc. I use it with a Swarovski 65. one word of caution though, extra plates cost a fortune, but happily you can use manfrotto 501 plates which are much cheaper. Sorry I don't have any experience of the Manfrotto 701 HDV.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Yes, you can use 501 plates with the 500AH, but you need to be careful if you do. The retaining pin to prevent accidental removal does not work except with the AH's own plate, so unless you have tightened the QR plate locking screw, the plate can slide right out. Not only slide, but it can also twist out of it, since the old plates don't have the right-side "shelf" on the beveling of the plate which prevents the plate from wedging the security latch open. Once properly locked in place, the old plates are fine.

Kimmo

Kimmo,

Why would anybody walk around with the QR plate locking screw NOT tightened?
Nobody. But just imagine someone distracts you just before you have tightened it. There are countless scenarios in which that could happen.

The appropiate plate will be safe, and the old one will land your expensive equipment on the ground.

Sorry, I disagree, guess I'm not that easily distracted.

Anyway, there is a secondhand one for sale on the LCE site for £80.

Bye.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back