• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF SP VS. Minox HG &Zen Ray ED2 (1 Viewer)

Tedster

i have read so many good things about all three of these i would like to know
out of the three of these which one is better opticaly for clarity and brightness and less glare and low light for glassing distances,and maybe using them from deer stand also,i prefer the 10 power for some distance i will be using,the Pentax DCF SPand the ZEN ED2 are around the same price $400.00
where as the Minox HG is around $600.00 right now

Need some help

i need some help please i know theres a lot of people with some knowledge
of these,if this is any help i did not like the nikon monarchs the edge seemed to fringe on them,i am just looking for a pair of good clear bright crisp pair of bino's that will work good in low light,and won't fog up
any help here will be appreciated

Ted

i need some help please i know theres a lot of people with some knowledge
of these,if this is any help i did not like the nikon monarchs the edge seemed to fringe on them,i am just looking for a pair of good clear bright crisp pair of bino's that will work good in low light,and won't fog up
any help here will be appreciated

Ted

All three (Zen, Pentax and Minox) would be fine choices. I own the Pentax 10 x 43 SP and like it a lot - very sharp, precise focusing and completely reliable. I know from past experience (a misaligned Pentax 8 x 23 UCF Compact) that Pentax warranty coverage is stellar. The Zen is likely the best of the bunch optically (I own and love the Zen ED2 7 x 36) and also have confidence in Zen's commitment to its product and owners. My only Minox is the 8 x 33 HG and at Camerland's present prices is a wonderfully handy binocular and a fantastic bargain, but as I recall the 10x Minox HG suffers from a narrower field of view than either the Zen or Pentax and is much more expensive than either. I certainly don't regret purchasing the 10x Pentax but I use it for birding and not hunting and would probably go with the Zen if I had to do it again today. Hope that's helpful.

All three (Zen, Pentax and Minox) would be fine choices. I own the Pentax 10 x 43 SP and like it a lot - very sharp, precise focusing and completely reliable. I know from past experience (a misaligned Pentax 8 x 23 UCF Compact) that Pentax warranty coverage is stellar. The Zen is likely the best of the bunch optically (I own and love the Zen ED2 7 x 36) and also have confidence in Zen's commitment to its product and owners. My only Minox is the 8 x 33 HG and at Camerland's present prices is a wonderfully handy binocular and a fantastic bargain, but as I recall the 10x Minox HG suffers from a narrower field of view than either the Zen or Pentax and is much more expensive than either. I certainly don't regret purchasing the 10x Pentax but I use it for birding and not hunting and would probably go with the Zen if I had to do it again today. Hope that's helpful.

after every thing i have been reading i think i will stay away from the Minox,i really think i am gonna give the ZEN ED2 in the 10x43 model for the fact that my eyes are not really the greatest and i think the little extra mag will help me glassing fields that like a half+ mile deep,i had a pair of 7x35 nikon actions
that my son in law could see perfect accros a 400yd field and almost count the deers horns and i could not even hardly see them,so thats why i want to get the larger magnification and as bright as every one says they are i don't see a problem taking the 10x over the 8x the information everyone is giving
has sure been helpful

Thanks Ted

Ted, a 10x binocular can be very hard to hold steady from a none braced position for a much more than a few seconds. You may find you need a tripod, especially in colder weather. And if you need a tripod you might as well get a fieldscope.

I suggest for the price point you are considering, you look carefully at the Canon Image Stablized binocular lineup.

As great as the reports of the Zen Ray lineup and customer service seem to be, please also bear in mind that ANYONE with a $5000, a pair of suitcases and a ticket to Hong Kong can get into sports optics biz now. These small rebranders come and go with great regularity. For all we know, Zen Ray is run by a one man out of his apartment!

happy 2010!
Rick

Ted, a 10x binocular can be very hard to hold steady from a none braced position for a much more than a few seconds. You may find you need a tripod, especially in colder weather. And if you need a tripod you might as well get a fieldscope.

I suggest for the price point you are considering, you look carefully at the Canon Image Stablized binocular lineup.

As great as the reports of the Zen Ray lineup and customer service seem to be, please also bear in mind that ANYONE with a $5000, a pair of suitcases and a ticket to Hong Kong can get into sports optics biz now. These small rebranders come and go with great regularity. For all we know, Zen Ray is run by a one man out of his apartment!

happy 2010!
Rick

Rick
i purchased the Zen ED2 8x43 i did a lot of searching even archerytalk and hunting.net these binos have nothing but good reports,i think i made a good choice,and if Zen Ray is run out of an appartment by one man.......well i wish
i was that intellegent to start something like that and be successful me and my wife started a buissness 4yrs ago and all we got was a headache and are credit ruined and are still trying to recover from it

Ted

Ted,
Have no worries, Zen Ray is a reliable company offering a quality product at a price lower than a competative product would cost.

I think the SP ED version would be comparable to the ZR.

The SP is a good compromise, wide field in good focus, but it is not quite as sharp as any ED, Ultra or other low dispersion glass. In 8x, I do not really care, and I use my 8x32 Pentax more than any other pair I have.

Last edited:
Just shows the kind of guy Doug is. Top notch.

I bought the ProMaster ELX from Doug because of CameraLand's long standing business reputation. BTW the optics are VERY GOOD.

Back to the subject. ZR hands down. I have had multiple sets of Minox and NONE impressed me when comparing similar products from other mfgrs.

Dave

We've got the Pentax 8x43 DCF SP's for members @ $349.99. just order the demo and put Bird forum in the note area and you'll be shipped a new unit

I like very bright and clear optics; purchased Zen-Ray ED2, two pairs of Minox HGs; three Zen-Ray EDs; the Minox HGs are brighter and clearer than any of the two other lines; and, lighter and therefore easier to glass an object in a steady long view, for me.
Also have a clunky Swaro-Habicht SL 10X50 that is due for semi-perm perch on a tripod for static placement. My preference is the Minox HG of those, by far.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back