• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP Binoculars (1 Viewer)

chirundu

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP Binoculars - Best Birding Binoculars in 2010?

I came across the Binoculars.com 2010 Binocular of the Year Awards page the other day and what really interested me on it was their winner for the best birding binocular - The Pentax 8x43 DCF SP Binoculars.

Now I know every one will have their own favourite and I will agree that these Pentax Binoculars are a great pair of optics with plenty of great features, but they have selected a pair that in my opinion has a pretty poor field of view for an 8x binocular: 330 ft @ 1000 yards. For comparison the Swift 8.5x44 Audubon Binoculars have a FOV of 430ft @ 1000 yards and even the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL's is 399ft @1000 yards and both have a more powerful 8.5x magnification!

Surely unless you do most of your birdwatching out in open areas like on a dam or around the coast, a wide field of view is one of the most important features you look for and is something that most people stress when giving advice on choosing a good bird watching binocular: See this article I wrote on choosing the best binoculars for bird watching on my binocular reviews website for example.

So for my money, yes they are a good pair of binoculars - but not specifically for birds and definitely in no way should they win an award for being the best?

I would love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
The field of view for the Swift 8.5x44 Audubon Binoculars is only 336 feet according to specifications at Eagle Optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back