• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to scopes (1 Viewer)

kurakura

Hello,

I just found this wonderfull forum and I am very impressed.
So I have been looking at the celestron/Skywatcher/Orion 80ED scopes,
I am looking at getting something like that or if I stumble upon a better scope at the same money ofcourse I will go for that.

Now to my questions:

what is the shortest scope that can provide that kind of IQ? I ask because I travel a fair bit, and want the best travel option available.

I Saw a Stellarvue 80mm Nighthawk Aplanat for sale at 200gbp anyone know how that would compare to the usual 80ED route?

How does scopes pictures do on print IQ wise? It is alittle difficult to tell much from pictures on forum..... anyone selling their pics for professional use (Magazines aso)????

Hello.

I can't really help you with the Stellarvue. It looks like it's a ED glasses scope (which is good news).

As far as I know, the 80ED gives really good photographs. I've seen a man that used a converter X2 on it. I was really impressed.

I think it could be great to have a collection/a list of good scopes for terrestrial photography (and how they compares to the 80ED).

I think it could be great to have a collection/a list of good scopes for terrestrial photography (and how they compares to the 80ED).

I agree that it would be nice with a sticky in the forum, I have read through most of the 9 pages by now, but must be alot that I have missed too.

hmmm no it is not ED, so guess that sets it....

The NHA is a limited run of lenses made to give the same correction
as the 80/9D. It uses FK5 and a more advanced (Lanthanum) secondary
element. The lens design is aplanatic having a higher standard than
the achromat but not quite apochromatic. But unlike the longer 809D,
the NHA is airline portable like the NH2. The NHA only comes with a
single speed focuser. Since the lens has a longer focal length than
the NH2, focus is not as critical. This reduces weight and keeps the
price reasonable. This telescope will soon go up in price and we are
only making about 90 more as the lenses are too expensive. But it is
a killer bargain for the money right now.

We would produce more NHA telescopes as the lens design is great, but
the cost of the lens elements and the work it takes results in a
higher cost to us than our ED telescope, the NHNG. So when the next
90 or so lenses are gone, that is it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back