• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG 7x42 on sale (1 Viewer)

I bit, and bought one today...im worried it might have too much ER though as i dont wear glasses. The objective covers will suck but a 7x with ED glass AND a FLAT field AT 1/2 THE PRICE of an elite alpha (which it is)is too enticing to pass on.

I bit, and bought one today...im worried it might have too much ER though as i dont wear glasses. The objective covers will suck but a 7x with ED glass AND a FLAT field AT 1/2 THE PRICE of an elite alpha (which it is)is too enticing to pass on.

Did you buy the EDG ! mentioned above? If so, I'd be more worried that the focus knob didn't come loose and spin instead of engage the focuser. as it's supposed to do. That was a common problem with the EDG I, particularly the 7x42 and 10x42 models, which were released first.

A few years back, I queried an ebay store that was selling a 7x42 EDG I for $1,200 to check the focuser to make sure it worked properly. The rep said he would, but never got back to me. I gather that it did not!

Nikon's policy has been to replace defective EDG 1's with EDG IIs. Some buyers who received free upgrades "flipped them" at a nice profit, not mentioning any names.

With each subsequent batch, Nikon "tightened down" the focuser (not sure how they did that), so latter day units worked better than earlier ones. Hopefully, you bought a later production unit, but if not, Nikon should replace it.

<B>

.308 Cal,

I've been using a 10x32 EDG I since July 2010 and it looks it. I have had no problem at all with the focuser! You just have to know how it works because you have to pull it's cover all the way back out to set the diopter. And if you don't make sure to push it all the way back in after you set the diopter the cover will spin instead of engaging the focus. It's explained in the instructions. The "spin" position is there in case you want to put the binocular on a tripod and keep it's sharp focus in one place without inadvertently changing it. This was general knowledge at the time and I have not heard that it was changed on the EDG II.

And this is the first time I have heard what Brock alleges above in thread #6 that "With each subsequent batch, Nikon "tightened down" the focuser. Perhaps he can advise us where he got this information and what he means by "tightened down?"

There were some posts here stating that by putting excessive pressure on the focus wheel while using it the focus wheel cover could press against the diopter ring and cause it to move. I have never experienced that happening. And I have no knowledge of whether Nikon subsequently made the cover harder to keep this from happening.

It's biggest problem for me is that it's padded covering is starting to bubble on the right tube under my index and middle fingers. I have heard that this "bubbling" has been a problem on the EDG I. I'm reluctant to send mine in to be fixed because Nikon might replace it with an EDG II and mine is so good optically that I might not get one that matches it!:king::t:

I've had mine since 2010. I bought it for $999.00 when Nikon discontinued the EDG I and replaced it with the EDG II. I also got a Nikon SLR Kit with the binocular.

Nikon never sold the EDG I anywhere else except in North America. The rumor at the time was they were being sued by Swarovski for a patent violation in using Swarovski's open frame dual hinge construction. The EDG II has only a single hinge.

Bob

Last edited:
THANKS BOB

My plan is to play with it for awhile if it bothers me then it may "develop" some issues and get it sent back to Nikon so i can get my EDG2

So the worst that happens is the focuser is not good and I get and edg2? Cool!

That's right. Swaro threatened litigation against Nikon for making the double hinged open bridge EDG I so they can't give you an EDG I.

As to Bob's comments, which always follow my comments on the EDG 1 focuser problems (diopter drift was also an issue on some samples), the 8x32 and 10x32 models came out after the 7x42 and 10x42 (not sure about the time frame for the 8x42).

The 7x42 and the 10x42 were the original prototypes. Reviewers of those two models reported problems with the loose focuser wheel but said they expected the problem would be fixed in the production models, but it was not.

Mike Freiberg said that the focusers on subsequent batches of EDG Is were "tightened down" so that there was less chance of the focus knob disengaging.

Then our European members noted that the EDG I was not being sold in Europe. Mike finally revealed the reason, it was due to a litigation threat by Swaro (which is still baffling since so many other companies also make double hinged open bridge roofs, and the EDG focuser wasn't designed like Swaros).

So rather than offer two models, one for the U.S. and one for Europe and Asia and wherever else the patent applies, Nikon stopped making the double hinged, open bridge EDG I and redesigned the EDG II with a single hinge body and raised the prices of the EDG IIs to match the other alpha makers.

Must have cost the company a pretty penny taking all those EDG Is back and replacing them with EDG IIs, but I guess they figured it was still less than a lawsuit by Swaro.

Nikon sold off all its EDG I stock at reduced prices in the U.S.. The 8x32 EDG II, which now goes for $2,199 was sold for $999 with a free DSLR camera (worth $500) included! Still kicking myself for missing out on that "deal of the decade."

I'm curious as to whether Bob still has his free camera or has sold it? ;)

Anyway, let us know how you like the 7x42 EDG after it arrives. It's been on my Wish List for the past five years, but my letters to Santa keep getting returned with a note ("Santa is on vacation until the unemployment rate is back to 5.0%).

Brock

Well I will have it today and compare to my slc 8x42. I'm only keeping one. I will post my results. The early hypothesis is the flat field and smmnooooth focus of Nikon will win out.

Brock,

I sold the camera to a friend whose wife's Canon Rebel had gone haywire and took the proceeds and bought a Nikon Coolpix P500 super zoom. I still have it although I had to buy a book about it written by Alexander S. White to translate the instructions from digitalized English into real English. White Knight Press. Google it. He has written a number of books on popular cameras.

Bob

Well here is my take

Brightness is a toss up.
Build quality - the Nikon appears to be rugged, the swaro seem more polished like a fine watch. The plastic focus knob on swaro feels Kmart-ish cheap compared to the Nikon though. I have no worried that the Nikon is "dainty."

Eyecups - I prefer the swaros as they sem a little thinner

Ergonomics- the swaro carries lighter and feels lighter. The Nikon feels heavier albeit more solid as well

Focus- no contest here. Nikon in spades also no diopter issue. Cape May said they denied shipment from Nikon until the issue was fixed.

Overall optics- I like the Nikon sharpness to the edge no pun intended. Swaro is awesome and large sweet spot but it isn't edge to edge like Nikon. Both have ample eye relief and a great easy picture
Accessories- swaro are much better. Nikon rain guard and lens covers are junk.
For the piece difference (several hundred dollars), I'm keeping the Nikon.

The swaro actually feels better in the hand but the focus and the edge sharpness combined with the price difference have swayed to Nikon.

Last edited:
Well I will have it today and compare to my slc 8x42. I'm only keeping one. I will post my results. The early hypothesis is the flat field and smmnooooth focus of Nikon will win out.

I look forward to reading your comparison.

FTR, in case Jan is reading this (though he's not a Nikon fan, so he probably won't), I have tried a 10x42 EDG I, and it had a loose focuser knob. When I looked up at a bird in a tree, the knob came loose and hit me right between the eyes! To engage the focuser, I had to press down on the focuser knob to hold it firmly in place as I focused.

The optics were superb, but I wasn't crazy about the flat diopter ring (which you access by pulling out the focus knob). With the EL, you also pull out the knob, but doing that engages the diopter and then you turn the knob to change the diopter setting. With the EDG, you have to pull out the knob and then feel for the flat diopter ring (it has slots, but they are shallow). Trying to find the diopter ring and turn it with gloves on was difficult. In fact, I couldn't do it, so I had to take a glove off each time I had to change the diopter, and I had the bin for three weeks during the winter.

For people with better focus accommodation who can "set and forget," this wouldn't be a problem with the 10x42, but I had to change the diopter going from near to far and again going from far to near. The 7x42 has better depth of field so the diopter might not need to be adjusted once set.

My favorite diopter mechanism was on the SLCs (pre-HD) where you could adjust the diopter without taking your hands off the binoculars. Simply push in the disk on the wheel with your index finger, turn to the desired setting and release. I was sorry to see that feature go on the new SLCs. Like my old boss used to say: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Brock

well the EDG eyecups are too wide for my eye sockets....its going back

Sorry to hear that. Wish I could buy them! The EDG eyecups fit my eye sockets, though just barely.

I've had that problem with other binoculars such as the Vixen 7x50 Foresta, which I had to modify to accommodate my eye sockets. Shown are the modified eyecups and the BIG, FAT original eyecups, which only No No Nose Nanette Fabares could fit between at a narrow IPD.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?p=Nanette+fabray&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3DNanette%2BFabre%26fr%3Dsfp&w=280&h=350&imgurl=www.latimes.com%2Fincludes%2Fprojects%2Fhollywood%2Fportraits%2Fnannette_fabray.jpg&size=21KB&name=nannette_fabray.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picturesonline.org%2Fnanette-fabray&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picturesonline.org%2Fnanette-fabray&type=&no=3&tt=115&oid=b98852973d1445e28566e482879d2a02&tit=Nanette+Fabray+|+Pictures+Online&sigr=11c7if0nc&sigi=129hqovlt&sigb=11urufo1q&fr=sfp

Brock

Attachments

• vixen 7x50 foresta 1.jpg
    vixen 7x50 foresta 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Vixen eyecups 067.JPG
    Vixen eyecups 067.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
no worries brock, i posted in the main binocular forum a new thread...im a happy ultravid HD 7x42 owner once again!! LOL

I very much like the big eye cups on my 10 x 32 EDG I. They are comfortable and it is easy to brace them up under my eye brows. I use all three of my 7x42s that way. Swaro 7x42SLC B, Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL and Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN.

In fact, I use all my binoculars that way. I'm not an "eye socket jammer" so I don't know how they would work for those people. I've tried it and I always get blackouts when I do, no matter the binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back